Unsolved Kerryn Tate 1979 - Murder - Western Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know the name of this victim or have any further details?

Warner’s initial assumption was that they were following up on the disappearance of a girl in 1980 after she was at North Cottesloe Surf Club on the night his band played there. Her body was found but to this day the killer has never been found.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...r/news-story/46dfe47ea44610573437a3f3ee03163b

I don't recall seeing details of this on any of the missing, murdered crime stopper sites. Does anybody else?

pennypal

Rookie
May 8, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Red Bull Formula One
I don't recall seeing details of this on any of the missing, murdered crime stopper sites. Does anybody else?
Kerryn Mary Tate. Friday 28 December 1978.
1ccb027e781a88430fe43110817074c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

pennypal

Rookie
May 8, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Red Bull Formula One
Library copy from a while ago. Quality is poor but it mentions that she left the North Cottesloe Surf Lifesaving Club around 11pm Friday 28 December 1979. Will see if i can get a better copy. Yes, a shocking murder with her being left in the common 'dumping ground' also known as the Karragullen area.
Thank you is this a clipping you've saved pennypal? It doesn't seem to be a library copy.

What a horrible murder ..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Library copy from a while ago. Quality is poor but it mentions that she left the North Cottesloe Surf Lifesaving Club around 11pm Friday 28 December 1979. Will see if i can get a better copy. Yes, a shocking murder with her being left in the common 'dumping ground' also known as the Karragullen area.

Not on my desktop atm or l'd have tried. The old clippings are the best.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

theartofwar

Senior List
Aug 22, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks pennypal, have never been able to find much information on Kerryn Tate. Is there anything else relevant in the article? Can only really see the details about the orange nylon rope and the yellow sheet. You would think they would have been retested by now.

Thanks pennypal, have never been able to find much information on Kerryn Tate. Is there anything else relevant in the article? Can only really see the details about the orange nylon rope and the yellow sheet. You would think they would have been retested by now.

I can make out bits and pieces. She had a child who was living in Sydney, was known to hitchike, the bonfire she was thrown on apparently was massive

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

There is a thread in here already with some info in it. However it was closed due to old mate getting all mappy and repetitive.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/kerryn-tate-1979-murder-western-australia.1181781/

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Feb 11, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
They mention 2 forestry workers found her at the Boulder Rock picnic area. Scientific officers were examining the flowery? sheet which is bright yellow & found about 6m away from the body, then theres something about a small silver bag. The body was so burnt doctors were unable to confirm it was female. Friends identified her from the jewellery found amongst the ashes. She was staying at a property on Brookton Highway looking after some friends dogs who had gone away. She'd been to a dance at the North Cottesloe surf club on Friday night and was planning to hitchhike back to Karragullen either that night or the following day. Her child lived with the father in Sydney & she was planning to hitchhike there the following week. Shed been in Perth for about a year.
Thats about all I can see.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
They mention 2 forestry workers found her at the Boulder Rock picnic area. Scientific officers were examining the flowery? sheet which is bright yellow & found about 6m away from the body, then theres something about a small silver bag. The body was so burnt doctors were unable to confirm it was female. Friends identified her from the jewellery found amongst the ashes. She was staying at a property on Brookton Highway looking after some friends dogs who had gone away. She'd been to a dance at the North Cottesloe surf club on Friday night and was planning to hitchhike back to Karragullen either that night or the following day. Her child lived with the father in Sydney & she was planning to hitchhike there the following week. Shed been in Perth for about a year.
Thats about all I can see.
Did some google map searches ;) because the hitchhiking rang a bell. The gap in time and distance might rule out Wark.

She lived on the Brookton Hwy and found at Boulder Rock picnic area. Very close to home. Seems either she made it close to home or home, or someone gave her a lift expecting more than they got for the effort. Once she got close to home and refused thats when it may have gone bad. Just an opinion and random thoughts

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kerryn Mary Tate. Friday 28 December 1978.
1ccb027e781a88430fe43110817074c4.jpg

So the girl that disappeared from Dave Warner concert at North Cott 28th Dec 1979 was Kerryn Tate? Warner thought the cops were coming to talk to him about her when they wanted to ask him about the CSK murders that his book "City of Light" seemed to predict and mirror. That's a guy with many co-incidences.

The thread on Kerryn Tate has some good information and no maps that I could see. She had attended 13 introductory lectures on witchcraft but her murder could have easily be because of her tendency to hitch hike occasionally. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/137006624?searchTerm="Kerryn Tate"&searchLimits=

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/137005936?searchTerm="Kerryn Tate"&searchLimits=

Metic has an interesting summary of similar murders around the time and Smarty links information in OTOG.

"Witches had admitted holding ceremonies near the area in which the body has been found, and the victim was known to be preparing for a witchcraft initiation.

The Coven into which the girl was to be initiated had held a meeting near the place at which her body had been found, and performed a ritual intended to assist her in her progress after death. But they did not feel this ritual had been successful."

Other Temples, Other Gods (1980) - Chapter 3, page 57.

pennypal

Rookie
May 8, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Red Bull Formula One
So the girl that disappeared from Dave Warner concert at North Cott 28th Dec 1979 was Kerryn Tate? Warner thought the cops were coming to talk to him about her when they wanted to ask him about the CSK murders that his book "City of Light" seemed to predict and mirror. That's a guy with many co-incidences.

The thread on Kerryn Tate has some good information and no maps that I could see. She had attended 13 introductory lectures on witchcraft but her murder could have easily be because of her tendency to hitch hike occasionally. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/137006624?searchTerm="Kerryn Tate"&searchLimits=

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/137005936?searchTerm="Kerryn Tate"&searchLimits=

Metic has an interesting summary of similar murders around the time and Smarty links information in OTOG.

"Witches had admitted holding ceremonies near the area in which the body has been found, and the victim was known to be preparing for a witchcraft initiation.

The Coven into which the girl was to be initiated had held a meeting near the place at which her body had been found, and performed a ritual intended to assist her in her progress after death. But they did not feel this ritual had been successful."

I have a few newspaper articles with a fair bit of info from the time.. interesting..
3866fb996783f18c7f02a226a209e03c.jpg
2d471953837c7d1a687126f76dfec3e7.jpg
52bf4a95c1c378661bdb60ab631d8751.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few newspaper articles with a fair bit of info from the time.. interesting..

Really interesting, seems they have a bit of forensic evidence. I wonder if they will get around to re-testing it with new advancements.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
'' KERRYN MARY TATE, 19 Brookton Hwy at Boulder Rock

ANNETTE DEVERELL, 19 Annette Deverell heading to Mandurah found in bush at Pinjarra.

LISA MOTT, 12 Forrest St, Collie,

PAULINE WALTER, 22 found in a Forrestdale ditch

BARBARA WESTERN, 38 found in bush near Karragullen
DARYLYN UGLE, 25 found in bush near Mundaring Weir
Missed this first time around

Take away all the witchcraft angle ( I think its a red herring) the interesting thing is the locations. I have used google maps and found some interesting things others may have already touched on. Excuse my lack of Perth knowledge.

This is somebody or some group that has knowledge of Perths southern and eastern suburbs but more familiar with the south. Now I recognise roads can change so street directories have to be utilised . Google tells me Pinjarra and Forrestdale are linked by Thomas Rd and Armadale Rd. Forrestdale can be linked to Brookton Hwy in an easy manner using Armadale Rd through Armadale and into Brookton Hwy. Then the Canning Rd from Brookton to Mundaring is feasible.

Are they linked? Possibly but not by witchcraft. The burning can be removing evidence (someone with knowledge of police techniques? )

I have removed Mason from this as I think it is an outlier from the rest of the pattern. Ugle may even be another outlier and I may discuss her later

The 1st thing I see is from December 79 to November 80 there is a batch then a break. Then May and June 1986 there are 2 more.

Ugle is 2003 and and the gap is too much for me. She might fit another person discussed here and due for parole very very soon.

Did somebody get arrested and spent some time away or are there known murders ie the Birnie ones . It is alleged the Birnies may have been responsible for the 2 murders in 1986

That then leaves somebody active in 79/80 then no longer ( as known ) did they die or get locked up? Shelly is right that DNA techniques might narrow somebody or somebodies

Robbie1958

Rookie
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

you would think so hey

Robbie1958

Rookie
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

r u suggesting a music connection?

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Missed this first time around

Take away all the witchcraft angle ( I think its a red herring) the interesting thing is the locations. I have used google maps and found some interesting things others may have already touched on. Excuse my lack of Perth knowledge.

This is somebody or some group that has knowledge of Perths southern and eastern suburbs but more familiar with the south. Now I recognise roads can change so street directories have to be utilised . Google tells me Pinjarra and Forrestdale are linked by Thomas Rd and Armadale Rd. Forrestdale can be linked to Brookton Hwy in an easy manner using Armadale Rd through Armadale and into Brookton Hwy. Then the Canning Rd from Brookton to Mundaring is feasible.

Are they linked? Possibly but not by witchcraft. The burning can be removing evidence (someone with knowledge of police techniques? )

I have removed Mason from this as I think it is an outlier from the rest of the pattern. Ugle may even be another outlier and I may discuss her later

The 1st thing I see is from December 79 to November 80 there is a batch then a break. Then May and June 1986 there are 2 more.

Ugle is 2003 and and the gap is too much for me. She might fit another person discussed here and due for parole very very soon.

Did somebody get arrested and spent some time away or are there known murders ie the Birnie ones . It is alleged the Birnies may have been responsible for the 2 murders in 1986

That then leaves somebody active in 79/80 then no longer ( as known ) did they die or get locked up? Shelly is right that DNA techniques might narrow somebody or somebodies
Interesting that some of those murders or disappearances listed by metic could be linked by location or time frame. Lisa Mott is on that extended weird straight line joining Ciara and Jane through Bay View Terrace, Claremont. The yellow panel van Lisa Mott was seen getting into was connected to Birnie although his wife (before Catherine) gave him an alibi, and he was caught and imprisoned in late 1986, so can't be connected to CSK can he?

Except for Kerryn Tate in Dec 1979, I could see Birnie possibly responsible for others in 1980 and with Catherine in the months before they were caught in 1986.

For me I'm keeping an open mind on the witchcraft / OTOG references mentioned in this thread. Going to 13 introductory witchcraft meetings, getting prepared for an "initiation" is not disputed. However it could have been someone that's gone to the surf club Dave Warner and the Suburbs concert that she got a lift with. She lived in Mt Lawley but was seen with someone on a motorbike the next day in the bush at Kellegaran before she was murdered. Who was this?

I wonder if they opened this investigation with the others they looked at? Do you now pennypal?

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Thank you PP ,
I will try to edit for clarity so we can read them better.
I have seen the question asked about ''who was the victim from north cott party?'' many times over the last few years.
Many good posters have wondered about that but couldn't figure it out. Very well done PP.
Thank you for the newspaper articles

Robbie1958

Rookie
Jul 13, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting that some of those murders or disappearances listed by metic could be linked by location or time frame. Lisa Mott is on that extended weird straight line joining Ciara and Jane through Bay View Terrace, Claremont. The yellow panel van Lisa Mott was seen getting into was connected to Birnie although his wife (before Catherine) gave him an alibi, and he was caught and imprisoned in late 1986, so can't be connected to CSK can he?

Except for Kerryn Tate in Dec 1979, I could see Birnie possibly responsible for others in 1980 and with Catherine in the months before they were caught in 1986.

For me I'm keeping an open mind on the witchcraft / OTOG references mentioned in this thread. Going to 13 introductory witchcraft meetings, getting prepared for an "initiation" is not disputed. However it could have been someone that's gone to the surf club Dave Warner and the Suburbs concert that she got a lift with. She lived in Mt Lawley but was seen with someone on a motorbike the next day in the bush at Kellegaran before she was murdered. Who was this?

I wonder if they opened this investigation with the others they looked at? Do you now pennypal?
what is the oto reference about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back