Preview Round 17 - GWS Giants vs Richmond, Saturday 14th July 2018, 7.25pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the thing that separates a great player from an average player is probably the fact they don't only train when at official training, especially if they aren't an A level star that already has it all. ie If I was Himmelberg (and a variety of other GWS players) I would be trying to get my footskills up regardless of what is happening at official training sessions, the reason being that I would make more money and create more success for my team. Does anyone think Gary Ablett or Steve Johnson got good at kicking the ball thanks to their genetics? You see them practice trick shots and all sorts of things regularly. Maybe the lack of S.J. at training egging on his teammates to try to beat him with trick shots is part of the reason we converted worse in 2017.

If anyone here watched Callan Wards first shot on goal on the weekend he was actually very accurate even though he missed it. The ball landed directly behind the goal, in the center, in the crowd. ie He was aiming like a teammate was behind the goal. The problem was before it got there it swung right and was a behind. Experienced goal kickers know this about their arc and aim slightly more to the left when on an angle, things like this seem to be missing a bit from the players who don't routinely shoot at goal.
It’s not a choice it’s enforced by the club

I’m hoping we see one of the forwards on a shut down role on vlastin

His drive out of he back line is devastating

I’m hoping we see one of the forwards on a shut down role on vlastin

His drive out of he back line is devastating
Vlas is an interceptor, not a runner. Short is the long kicking damaging runner.

Your midfield is quality, this should be a good game, I just give us the edge because I like our defence to be good enough to stifle your forwards.

Enforced by the club? Can you go into detail about that?
I have a friend who is a physio at a professional club. They plan out the Km’s a player can run, the weights, the balls kicked etc during the week to prevent injury. If a player is run down, sore, stressed or not sleeping well they can limilt their participation even further. Sport science dominates mid week for professional athletes

Hence why the “we need to practice goal kicking all week” argument is bullshit. They often can’t

I have a friend who is a physio at a professional club. They plan out the Km’s a player can run, the weights, the balls kicked etc during the week to prevent injury. If a player is run down, sore, stressed or not sleeping well they can limilt their participation even further. Sport science dominates mid week for professional athletes

Hence why the “we need to practice goal kicking all week” argument is bullshit. They often can’t
The footy Phil had a bit about this to this week.
He said that if they concentrate to much on one thing it can make matters worse(or words to that effect).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Vlas is an interceptor, not a runner. Short is the long kicking damaging runner.

Your midfield is quality, this should be a good game, I just give us the edge because I like our defence to be good enough to stifle your forwards.
I think matching the pressure your guys will bring for 4 qtrs is more the challenge from our point if view.
Lobb and Himmelburg and Tomlinson actually went well last week.
The game preview is suggesting Himmelburg will line up on Rance. With two talls and Tomlinson chipping in from the wing I wonder. We've sent Corr or Haynes to him previously to focus on trying to control him.
I doubt we'll allow a loose man each in defence with Rance too big a threat, even though Haynes loose is seriously good for us.

I hope Daniels gets another gig. I’d prefer if Kennedy came in for one of Finlayson or Taylor... purely because of their smalls.
If Lids and Greene are fit, do you guys think we should play them in the ones?

I hope Daniels gets another gig. I’d prefer if Kennedy came in for one of Finlayson or Taylor... purely because of their smalls.

If Lids and Greene are fit they are in.
Hopper will be back.
Would love Kenners to return as well.

yup, you don't run Phar Lap at Birdsville for a warmup for the Melbourne Cup

I think matching the pressure your guys will bring for 4 qtrs is more the challenge from our point if view.
Lobb and Himmelburg and Tomlinson actually went well last week.
The game preview is suggesting Himmelburg will line up on Rance. With two talls and Tomlinson chipping in from the wing I wonder. We've sent Corr or Haynes to him previously to focus on trying to control him.
I doubt we'll allow a loose man each in defence with Rance too big a threat, even though Haynes loose is seriously good for us.
Yeh the pressure game is our defence, it's a team effort that starts from right up front. The way to beat tackle pressure and harass is to mark the footy. We can't tackle a player who marks it, that's how the Eagles beat us, their bigs kept grabbing the footy. GWS with a tough skilled midfield unit and some strong marking players are another side that could exploit this and play the possession kick-mark skilled game to limit our defensive pressure.

If the game becomes a ground level scrappy affair and you are under pressure coming out of defence then it becomes a territory game, then the game is already over. If the sides are competing to just get the ball forward then no side in the league can beat the Tiges at their own game. You must win by executing kicking skills, breaking the lines and taking your marks winning the aerial contests.

Yeh the pressure game is our defence, it's a team effort that starts from right up front. The way to beat tackle pressure and harass is to mark the footy. We can't tackle a player who marks it, that's how the Eagles beat us, their bigs kept grabbing the footy. GWS with a tough skilled midfield unit and some strong marking players are another side that could exploit this and play the possession kick-mark skilled game to limit our defensive pressure.

If the game becomes a ground level scrappy affair and you are under pressure coming out of defence then it becomes a territory game, then the game is already over. If the sides are competing to just get the ball forward then no side in the league can beat the Tiges at their own game. You must win by executing kicking skills, breaking the lines and taking your marks winning the aerial contests.
I dont think so. I think we have the capacity to win the contested ball, and it would certainly be a serious mistake for the team to try to shirk the scrap.By this I mean fir example Lobb's task is to bring it ground as a minimum and trust the smaller guys to win the ball. I agree the difficulty is to maintain it for four qtrs against the pressure your guys will bring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at the pinching of the game at Spotless in the last minute last year - and the game on Saturday night....

No Perryman to touch the ball to call back the Richmond goal.

No Wilson to boot it long to the middle.

No Mumford to get the handball off.

No Cameron to kick the goal.

Only one left from the passage is Davis and his knock-on to Mummy.

One wonders who will stand up and win it for us this year?

Particularly entering forward 50 away from Rancey
I think there's good chance that someone like Haynes goes forward on him. It's not the Tigers way to leave Haynes loose in the backline as for the Hawks game. Last year it was Townsend who applied physical pressure on him, not sure who will this time but I'm sure someone will.

At the other end without Patton and Jezza I'm not sure we can sacrifice Himmelburg to mind Rance. Last week he was leading up the ground a lot which he just wouldn't be able to do.

In the H/A game at the G Corr did mind Rance from memory and Haynes at Spotless for at least part of the game.

GIANTS v Richmond
Saturday, July 14 at 7:25pm
Spotless Stadium
FB: Phil Davis, Sam Taylor, Heath Shaw
HB: Josh Kelly, Aidan Corr, Nick Haynes
C: Adam Kennedy, Ryan Griffen, Sam Reid
HF: Harry Himmelberg, Rory Lobb, Tim Taranto
FF: Brent Daniels, Adam Tomlinson, Dylan Shiel
RR: Dawson Simpson, Stephen Coniglio, Callan Ward
Interchange: Jacob Hopper, Toby Greene, Lachie Whitfield, Zac Langdon
In: Toby Greene, Jacob Hopper, Adam Kennedy
Out: Matt de Boer (ankle), Harry Perryman (hamstring), Jeremy Finlyason (omitted)
Emergencies: Aiden Bonar, Matt Buntine, Lachlan Keeffe, Jeremy Finlayson

Oh ffs, De Boer injured :'(

ccb9846ad5b7226edfd44a11372c048c.gif

Finlayson omitted.

Big let down given he was looking so promising at the start of the season. Greene must of trained strongly during the week. Good timing as we're looking really light on up forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back