Discussion NAFL Reserves 2018-19 - Franchise Bids and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

NAFL Premiership
NAFL Championship
NAFL League 1

Don't mind the idea of geographic conferences; maybe South (VIC, TAS, SA, NZ) and North (WA, NT, QLD, NSW, ACT)

Shoud wait until at least 20+ bids get submitted before even considering a split though.

BOZG85Z.png

NAFL Pub League?

Perhaps we could have grading matches?
The problem I see coming about is if one of the new bids that will be put in 3rd division would actually be more suited at playing against the higher tier of the 2nd division.
In that case this team would have to wait 2 seasons in order to reach the 1st's (that's if the design is good enough).

No idea where to go on from this idea though, so thoughts?

Perhaps we could have grading matches?
The problem I see coming about is if one of the new bids that will be put in 3rd division would actually be more suited at playing against the higher tier of the 2nd division.
In that case this team would have to wait 2 seasons in order to reach the 1st's (that's if the design is good enough).

No idea where to go on from this idea though, so thoughts?

Prior events has had teams moved to more appropriate divisions after designs have been submitted, even after the season has started. So the is precedence that would not require grading matches.

I definitely agree with FT that everyone should have the opportunity to get promoted to the 1st division after 1 year if they're good enough.

I'd suggest splitting conferences geographically in some way, probably southeast and northwest.

I definitely agree with FT that everyone should have the opportunity to get promoted to the 1st division after 1 year if they're good enough.

I'd suggest splitting conferences geographically in some way, probably southeast and northwest.
Going way back, I finished off the first ACFFL season and had the top half of Div 2 move up and bottom half of Div 1 move down. Made sense since it was fewer teams and no-one kicked up a fuss about it.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/acffl-finals-thread.992503/#post-27946820
Thoughts on 8 going up and 8 going down?

My main concern with three divisions is that it will now take a minimum of two years for a team now to make it to the top division.

I’d rather everyone in Reserves have the chance to make it to the top flight.

That is true, but I think that the risk with conferences is that people are going to specifically target where they place teams to try and get an easier run, or that it is going to happen by sheer chance that one conference is going to be way over balanced with strong designs that makes the other conference seem weak.

This will then mean that designers who could be fighting it out for a finals spot and a chance at promotion are potentially going to miss out to weaker teams just purely by having two conferences (if keeping a 8 team finals series only 4 teams from each are going to make it through).

The best example of this in the real world at the moment is the Super Rugby. Every conference gets a team in the finals, but it is at the cost of teams that actually have better records which happened last year when the Brumbies qualified with 34 points (by winning the Australian conference) and the Blues who had 37 points missed the finals.

As I have said, and I am not knocking anyone, but I have been very lucky with the Can-Am that all conferences have been fairly even each season, but it is purely down to luck.

At least with a 3rd division, designers are going to settle into a division that most likely makes sense, and for those who are new and could do with some time to improve the moving from the 3rds to reserves gives them time to perfect their work. It may mean having to wait an extra season to have a chance at the top flight, but at the same time if this league is getting this big, then it may seem the most logical move. I know there was doubt over a 2nds back when it came about as people who deserved to be in the top flight would miss out, but it has worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between the 1st and 2nd division? Way too many. The 1st division needs to be really hard to get into and really hard to stay in.

Agree, at the most the bottom 2 are relegated, and that would be last being automatically, and 2nd last through a playoff. Lower levels if included could be a larger number but never more than 4 each (with 3 probably being the right number {1 or 2 automatically, and the other/s through playoff/s}).

That is true, but I think that the risk with conferences is that people are going to specifically target where they place teams to try and get an easier run, or that it is going to happen by sheer chance that one conference is going to be way over balanced with strong designs that makes the other conference seem weak.

This will then mean that designers who could be fighting it out for a finals spot and a chance at promotion are potentially going to miss out to weaker teams just purely by having two conferences (if keeping a 8 team finals series only 4 teams from each are going to make it through).

The best example of this in the real world at the moment is the Super Rugby. Every conference gets a team in the finals, but it is at the cost of teams that actually have better records which happened last year when the Brumbies qualified with 34 points (by winning the Australian conference) and the Blues who had 37 points missed the finals.

As I have said, and I am not knocking anyone, but I have been very lucky with the Can-Am that all conferences have been fairly even each season, but it is purely down to luck.

At least with a 3rd division, designers are going to settle into a division that most likely makes sense, and for those who are new and could do with some time to improve the moving from the 3rds to reserves gives them time to perfect their work. It may mean having to wait an extra season to have a chance at the top flight, but at the same time if this league is getting this big, then it may seem the most logical move. I know there was doubt over a 2nds back when it came about as people who deserved to be in the top flight would miss out, but it has worked.

If it were split into conferences, then skill balance would definitely be factored in - even if divisions have to be randomly drawn based on seeding or something.

The option we might head towards would be similar to Can-Am with the conferencing system - there’s no need for a “third” division as such, but simply split the divisions geographically, with conference finals to follow. All of this would need to be sorted after the entry deadline though to figure out how many are in each conference.

Of course we’re kind of in unchartered territory here with an unprecedented amount of interest in the competition.
I did think about conferencing it. As it would be easier to move up and down. But I felt that we should this completion Australian. And by that I mean, in local AFL leagues, we can sometimes see up to 5 divisions. If this was an American sport or based in America, I would have definitely gone with conferences over divisions.

You might just have to do some qualifiers like we've done for FIRA and cut the folk who don't make it. Having three NAFL competitions running simultaneously for 20 rounds is going to get old and voting/interest will drop more than it usually does.
Im not convinced as NAFL is a popular league and will always keep people interested. I think the way to go is NAFL Reserves have all the returning teams (including those who are returning from a few years ago), then the NAFL Colts would be for new teams.

You might just have to do some qualifiers like we've done for FIRA and cut the folk who don't make it. Having three NAFL competitions running simultaneously for 20 rounds is going to get old and voting/interest will drop more than it usually does.

The lower leagues don't have to have as many rounds, if needed a single round robin could be implemented for the lower divisions. Then only the top flight would play the longer season.

Im not convinced as NAFL is a popular league and will always keep people interested. I think the way to go is NAFL Reserves have all the returning teams (including those who are returning from a few years ago), then the NAFL Colts would be for new teams.

That would be the basis I would go for (depending on numbers) for the first season, unless a design is not fitting of the league it is in (like FT when he entered the first time and was promoted instantly to the top flight).

After that the top 2 divisions would be locked for those who have qualified for it, then the 3rd division would be for new entrants. Basically the reserves division would shift to being the 3rd division with a new 2nd division replacing it. Then if the numbers drop to a level that cannot sustain 3 divisions, the 3rd division would cease to exist and the 2nds would revert to the old format of being the reserves and new entrant level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back