Preview Gold Coast vs Essendon, Carrara, Saturday 14/07/18 @ 7:25 PM

Who will have more handballs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to be too upset with the changes. Fantasia is a massive in. Happy to see Parish back in the seniors. I've felt like we are one midfielder short for a while. If we absolutely need someone to play the Stringer role up forward and through the midfield, then the player best equipped to do it is Langford so it makes sense to bring in an extra midfielder in that sense too. Plus Dev Smith could spend a bit more time forward as well as another option.

Dea has played well in the seniors consistently this year and makes sense in terms of structure. I would have loved to have seen Francis too but if you were just picking our normal structure then Dea makes sense.

As for Long out - well he only came in as a late selection so he was always likely to lose his spot if Fantasia returned. I'm sure if Fantasia is not fit he would get a late reprieve.

It does worry me how bad our forward line operates without Fantasia. We've still got a ways to go before we become a legitimately good side and improving how our forward line connects with the midfield is still a major component of that.

On another note: Could the EFC please stop naming players in stupid positions on the ground. Like Dea in the centre. I know it doesn't mean anything but its annoying to look at for the fans and it's not like you're tricking the opposition with that bullshit.

They will not play him if he says he is not ready to go. I do not know what the EMG thing is all about other to possibly send a message that he is close to playing. We will know when he is ready as they will most likely announce it before Thursday night.
Fair enough, guess I was being too sensitive of the optics. Given the difficulty in a young man admitting he can't play due to mental problems, clear communication can't be assumed.

I will clue you into something that will not help how you feel about selection.
I know at the start of last season all the players where told there was an order for each spot and even if you are playing well in the VFL you may not get into the side unless those above you in the order for that spot are out.
It would seem the pecking order is still in vogue . Long has passed Green but is still behind Fantaisia and Colyer .........

That's an interesting bit of info. Any idea how often the pecking order gets set? I'm sure it doesn't stay the same the entire year irrespective of form.

I know at the start of last season all the players where told there was an order for each spot and even if you are playing well in the VFL you may not get into the side unless those above you in the order for that spot are out.
It would seem the pecking order is still in vogue . Long has passed Green but is still behind Fantaisia and Colyer .........

A depth chart? Common in NFL, would’ve thought most clubs would have this.

Colyer had a howler against the pies. Would have dropped him for a week to make way for Fantasia and keep Long in.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I don't think Woosh ever wanted to play Long in the first place.

A depth chart? Common in NFL, would’ve thought most clubs would have this.

True but it would seem ours is fairly rigid. Hard to get past those above unless you take them out at training.

True but it would seem ours is fairly rigid. Hard to get past those above unless you take them out at training.

Happened to Josh Bruce.

Im guessing Francis is at this stage a lock for next year if he doesn't request a trade. Ready made replacement for BJ if he retires. Maybe just maybe cause of his long lay off he is still being treated like a first-year player doing a trade in their 2nds before he becomes a long-term star for us. If he sticks round next year it could pay off long term.

Long out is a no brainer.

Would really like to see Ridley and/or Francis in but Dea has competed well and almost made our defense a little more solid at times. Would rather they dropped/rested Goddard and brought in Ridley.

Parish in I like.

Slim pickings so a few underperformers go around again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps changes also include factors not assessible by the general public.
If a player is continously overlooked, then there could be an underlying reason for that.

Hope parish never gets dropped again.

It will mean we are on the right track. We definitely weren't at the time when he got dropped.

Colyer has been kissed on the d*ck. Ridiculous that he wasn't dropped. Has shown nothing. Francis stiff. His time will come sooner rather than later. Goddard must want a rest soon
I think there’s a hidden clause or deal somewhere to play the ‘supplements suspended players’ a minimum number of games each year in order to get them to sign back up when they did last year. That’s the only way I can make sense of it

Watching grown men have hissy fits every single Thursday evening, over a situation they have absolutely no control over and virtually no insight into is... I’m not sure what the word in English is, but it’s the online equivalent of backpfeifengesicht.
Same time next week?

That’s “primary school footy with dad as the coach” at its best :drunk:

Watching grown men have hissy fits every single Thursday evening, over a situation they have absolutely no control over and virtually no insight into is... I’m not sure what the word in English is, but it’s the online equivalent of backpfeifengesicht.
those Germans have a word for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back