Recommitted Shai Bolton [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't pick Walters randomly. A number of posters who have actually watched him play have made that comparison. And it just so happens that Shai seems to be progressing in a similar way at this stage in his career. Fact. I'm not saying Shai will be as good. I'm saying Shai should be afforded the same patience Walters was early in his career.

What does a bunch of spuds failing have to do with Shai and what Richmond would be willing to accept for him?

Referencing compassion trades like Balic, Hill and hamling don't count for s**t. In the same way you say my comparison to the Jed Anderson and Sam Murray trades mean nothing.

In the end it appears as though there is a buyer's market for Shai's services. He is rated very highly by the club internally and any trade done will reflect that. If Freo fans think that's too much to handle then jog on.

For the record I've always said his value is between pick 25 to 35. No first round histerics from me.

If Walters were to be traded after 2 years he would’ve fetched a big bag of stuff all. Seeing as you like to mention him a fair bit.

Walters was afforded the opportunity and turned it around, but that doesn’t alter the fact he was worth nothing at a similar stage to Shai.

There’s not a person in the world that would’ve given a pick inside 60 for Walters after 2 years. He was close to delist material.

You are still placing a value on speculation. Someone may speculate highly in him but to receive a pick inside 40 he’d want to get a few AFL games before seasons end or make the VFL his bitch.

Anyway, I’m out of this thread. Was interesting for sometime but I don’t even think Freo are interested in him.

In the end it appears as though there is a buyer's market for Shai's services. He is rated very highly by the club internally and any trade done will reflect that. If Freo fans think that's too much to handle then jog on.

me.

If he is rated very highly by the club, why all the talk about him being traded, is it his agent or Richmond talking or should I say the tail wagging the tiger.

Actions speak louder than words and the action is done on the field... or not as the case may be here!

I suspect nothing going on here other than his manager trying to increase his nominal value to Richmond..

If he is rated very highly by the club, why all the talk about him being traded, is it his agent or Richmond talking or should I say the tail wagging the tiger.

Actions speak louder than words and the action is done on the field... or not as the case may be here!

I suspect nothing going on here other than his manager trying to increase his nominal value to Richmond..
Currently in the real world nothing has been said apart from Shai's manager putting contract talks on hold and i posted earlier that this is Ralph Carr's modus operandi. He dis the exact same thing with Martin and shopped him around then came back and signed for $50k less than the original offer after there were no clubs prepared to take him for the asking price.

Nobody knows for sure if he wants to leave or not but there has been no evidence that he is unhappy at the club infact the opposite with him having good friends here and has become very close with Rioli who is is best friend and these 2 are dating 2 girls that are also good friends so not sure if thats an indication.

Currently playing great football at VFL level and has moved into the midfield and getting mid 20's and 5-7 tackles as well as scoring goals
Sure he probably wants and thinks he deserves more game tim but being the youngest player recruited 18 months ago he was 62kgs and had no tank which has improved alot but still not there and was mentioned he put on 8kgs since arriving at the club.

IMO he probably wants more game time and more dollars and it will all be sorted and i believe he will stay but there wont be any shortage of clubs asking about him and if he does leave then it would be for more games and more dollars.

But for a player that freo supporters dont think is worth alot cant understand why so much interest from you guys out west, He is just a small foward and you guys think he is worth #40+ We think he is worth #20-#25 or there abouts - No point in arguing as we cant convince you or you convince us and there sure as hell no chance any of us can influence the trade value by talking him up or down so why bother.

Everybody has made their point and given there opinion so lets see how it all turns out and 1 side can come back to gloat if trade does happen and the bump on this thread will be spectacular in 5 years if he becomes a gun or is living with Harley Bennell either way time will tell

But for a player that freo supporters dont think is worth alot cant understand why so much interest from you guys out west, tell

It’s always fun to pull a tigers tail especially when they bite back..

I think he will stay a Tigger, and hope he works out for you.

If Freo was doing better we wouldn’t be out pulling Tiggers Tail !

It’s always fun to pull a tigers tail especially when they bite back..

I think he will stay a Tigger, and hope he works out for you.

If Freo was doing better we wouldn’t be out pulling Tiggers Tail !

Make sure you turn the lights on next time !!

That wasnt my tail

He's 19 in his second year playing great footy at vfl level.

He was always going to take time to build his tank.

His football ability is not the reason he isn't playing AFL. It's his ability to run out a game.

Ffs. People with no idea about him should not post in this thread. It's embarrassing.

Mate all the ability in the world doesn’t transfer into games in the purple, just look at Bennell, 20 years old by next season played only a hand full of afl games and didn’t set the world on fire, still gotta put work into him to make him a regular selection. And you want the boys to offer up a late first rounder for him?.... (cough)

Don’t start making accurate comparisons.

With Bolton you’re suppose to speculate and he could be the next Walters!
Shai Bolton could be anything. Again, tigers Talked up his potential. I was Seething trading picks 3 and 19 for Des Headland in 2002.
How good is that pick 4 Jarrod Pickett going? Or Garlett? Or Karpany?

Please find a comparison we can use.

I’ve shown Hill, Hamling just from Freo. Also Balic.

You’re using blokes that Bolton may become. That’s fine and that’s why we’re discussing him, but to assume he will be those players is a bit much. I mean I’d be giving a future Orazio or Walters some AFL time over Castagna, but why isn’t he playing AFL? Oh yeah he’s young and blah blah.
Good points.
I didn't pick Walters randomly. A number of posters who have actually watched him play have made that comparison. And it just so happens that Shai seems to be progressing in a similar way at this stage in his career. Fact. I'm not saying Shai will be as good. I'm saying Shai should be afforded the same patience Walters was early in his career.

What does a bunch of spuds failing have to do with Shai and what Richmond would be willing to accept for him?

Referencing compassion trades like Balic, Hill and hamling don't count for s**t. In the same way you say my comparison to the Jed Anderson and Sam Murray trades mean nothing.

For the record I've always said his value is between pick 25 to 35. No first round histerics from me.
I hate the word potential on big footy. Go Look at Freos trades from 1994-2006 if you want to talk about Potentially good players traded with 1st rounders

Mate all the ability in the world doesn’t transfer into games in the purple, just look at Bennell, 20 years old by next season played only a hand full of afl games and didn’t set the world on fire, still gotta put work into him to make him a regular selection. And you want the boys to offer up a late first rounder for him?.... (cough)
I never said that.

But this talk off rubbish late picks is not hiking to land you shai.

There seems to be a number of Richmond fans here out of step with reality. The reality is that players don't get traded for what they're necessarily worth, or a pick good enough to replace them. They go for the market value for that type of player, reasons for leaving, contract status, runs on the board and potential. And the simple reality is that after years of players leaving teams like GWS, Brisbane and others, that young players without established AFL form are generally worth far less. Yes, there are exceptions, but they're rare.

IF Bolton asks to be traded to club X, Richmond won't get the same pick they used but a later pick. He has no established AFL form, and although he has potential so do heaps of draftees in what is considered a strong draft. That's the way it goes. Essendon got zip on Jenkins. Freo on Balic. Brisbane on Polec, Docherty, Yeo. GWS on McCarthy, Ahern, and a host of others.

Richmond fans who think his value should be higher need to argue what about Bolton makes his situation unique, that he will buck what is now a pretty common trend.

There seems to be a number of Richmond fans here out of step with reality. The reality is that players don't get traded for what they're necessarily worth, or a pick good enough to replace them. They go for the market value for that type of player, reasons for leaving, contract status, runs on the board and potential. And the simple reality is that after years of players leaving teams like GWS, Brisbane and others, that young players without established AFL form are generally worth far less. Yes, there are exceptions, but they're rare.

IF Bolton asks to be traded to club X, Richmond won't get the same pick they used but a later pick. He has no established AFL form, and although he has potential so do heaps of draftees in what is considered a strong draft. That's the way it goes. Essendon got zip on Jenkins. Freo on Balic. Brisbane on Polec, Docherty, Yeo. GWS on McCarthy, Ahern, and a host of others.

Richmond fans who think his value should be higher need to argue what about Bolton makes his situation unique, that he will buck what is now a pretty common trend.
That’s a good post mate.
I just hope he stays. Selected this week, has been in good VFL form and it sounds like he’s happy.
Would not like to see him leave for peanuts in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a good post mate.
I just hope he stays. Selected this week, has been in good VFL form and it sounds like he’s happy.
It is a good post and pretty much what everyone else has been saying in this thread.

Nobody likes losing talented players for peanuts but it happens all the time.

That’s a good post mate.
And that's where the competition for these younger players is. It isn't at the trade table, if they nominate someone to go to you're stuffed. Its about getting them to sign contract extensions and to choose to stay.

Essendon is in a similar position with Clarke, Mutch, Begley and Ridley, all from the same draft. If any were out of contract and wanted out, we'd get a bag of chips for most of them. Despite that they're all looking dominant at VFL (or injured), and Essendon fans are about as pleased by a bunch of 2nd year players as you could be. Essendon "won" those trades by getting them to sign extensions, not at the trade table.

Would Freo do Richmond 1st and Bolton for Cerra if he wants to head home?
Almost certainly not. Cerra is worth a top 5 pick without even thinking about it.

Players like Bolton are pick 30 material imo. He could be included with a top 10 pick, maybe. I doubt Fremantle would trade out of the top 10 this year.

Almost certainly not. Cerra is worth a top 5 pick without even thinking about it.

Players like Bolton are pick 30 material imo. He could be included with a top 10 pick, maybe. I doubt Fremantle would trade out of the top 10 this year.

Yeah I just can't see us giving Freo what they would want. I dunno how we would even get a top 10 pick.

Bolton has some serious talent and he's exactly the type of player Geelong need. Highly skilled and has all the tools to become a good AFL player. He's worth a pick in the 20's if I were a recruiter but I'm not sure of his contract status. If he's uncontracted Richmond might accept a 3rd round pick given they're largely stacked for talent in the role he plays and probably doesn't make their best side if they have all players available. He himself might want to leave to find more game time. It happens when a side keeps winning and one struggles to break into a winning team.

A 3rd round pick is probably the best Richmond will get though if he's uncontracted. it's unfortunate he just hasn't been given enough games to prove himself.

Edit: I overlooked the uncontracted part of the thread.

Makes sense. Crows have been lacking a bit of outside speed. Are there any fringe players they could be willing to swap?
Kelly? Hartigan? CEY? The pick we get for Mackay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back