Preview Round 17, 2018: St.Kilda v Carlton - Etihad Stadium, Friday 13th July, 7:50PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice to see us go safe against the worst side in the comp at a time where we should be experimenting and taking risks

I don’t want us to experiment I want us to win the bloody game
No way I want to lose to the wooden spooners

We played DMac forward at times in the past in a similar way though, even though he usually played defence or midfield in the VFL.

I think we could have afforded to have played Paton there ahead of going to the Lonie well again.

Doubt it would make the difference between winning and losing and it would be good to give Paton a taste. Been in the squad 8 times this year now for no games.

Yep sounds perfect for another ‘but he plays on the ball at sandy, why did Richo play him as a small forward....’

Yeah with so many injuries, sadly there are not many options! Changes seem pretty obvious
though not sure what Rice has done to not be getting picked in this side.
Hopefully we will be seeing Acres, Long and Battle back soon, for mine those 3 excite me the most along with Gresh of course
as to where we can improve very quickly.
As for Hugh, no doubt he's been cursed by injuries and poor conditioning but overall has been a massive disappointment and for a
boy his size, his intensity and physicality has been very ordinary.
Rice was just unlucky that Webster had to come back in and the other smaller defenders have been playing fairly well.

Yeah with so many injuries, sadly there are not many options! Changes seem pretty obvious
though not sure what Rice has done to not be getting picked in this side.
Hopefully we will be seeing Acres, Long and Battle back soon, for mine those 3 excite me the most along with Gresh of course
as to where we can improve very quickly.
As for Hugh, no doubt he's been cursed by injuries and poor conditioning but overall has been a massive disappointment and for a
boy his size, his intensity and physicality has been very ordinary.

Hugh had elite speed for his size as an u/18, ran something like 2.95s for the 20m sprint, but I feel he has either lost pace or the game has gone past him. Coming back from those major injuries will take time and he may still have got a game if Carlisle didn’t come up..

In the ( very boring and tedious ) Longer V Hickey debate i am in "team Billys" corner. (just)
But i hope Hickeys plays out of his skin tomorrow. Surely he realises his chances at StKilda and maybe at AFL level are running out.
I just wanna win and i dont really care which Ruckman helps us get that result.
Hope Tom makes the most of this chance:thumbsu:

Didn’t know tackles alone get you a game these days. And didn’t know Paton can play the small forward role?

But hey, let’s just ‘get him in there’..

Minchington maybe could play that role, but he’s not fit enough yet.

Well, the premise was that Wright got a game over Paton due to having a bunch of tackles in the abomination of a game against Williamstown. Now Paton gets a swag of tackles but Lonie gets the nod before him. He obviously adds much more than just tackles alone.

It's not exactly like Lonie or Wright are doing anything close to a good job in the small forward role. So why would someone with speed, a good kick, a good tackle and a strong overhead mark not be able to do as good or better than them? I'm willing to back him in against the bottom team in a dead season.

Well, the premise was that Wright got a game over Paton due to having a bunch of tackles in the abomination of a game against Williamstown. Now Paton gets a swag of tackles but Lonie gets the nod before him. He obviously adds much more than just tackles alone.

It's not exactly like Lonie or Wright are doing anything close to a good job in the small forward role. So why would someone with speed, a good kick, a good tackle and a strong overhead mark not be able to do as good or better than them? I'm willing to back him in against the bottom team in a dead season.
Because Lonie and Wright are small forwards and Paton is a defender/midfielder. And we were bringing in a player to play in the forward line.

If I wasn’t locked in to go in with some mates from work I wouldn’t bother.

NFI what we are doing anymore. Bring on trade week. Who are we gonna trade our 2020 picks for?

I’ll go Jay Laverde and Tommy Sheridan, with Tom Campbell or Jordan Roughead coming in as a free agent option.

And we will pass on Rankine and Hill in the draft for another vanilla midget from a “great family”. Don’t worry though, he will have leadership potential on a level not unlike Newnes, Dunstan, Weller & Longer.

Because Lonie and Wright are small forwards and Paton is a defender/midfielder. And we were bringing in a player to play in the forward line.
Wait... what?

Wright is a halfback flanker, who’s been thrown up forward because he’s a liability down back with his disposal.

Paton is a small defender/winger with very very good disposal, Lightning pace & strong build.

Why not throw him forward if can we throw the other s**t can forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Sincs was an elite wingman last year and has spent lots of this year in the forward line.
Armo went forward last week and kicked 3 .
So why cant Paton play forward ?

I come in peace with a quick question re the $13 tickets - is there a special way of accessing this offer through Ticketmaster online, or is it being offered other than through the Internet?

I'll be there tomorrow night with my daughter.

Can't wait until Freezer gets his first kick. Hopefully a goal.

Go Saints!
The wait continues
254263-skeleton-chair-ruin-HDR-748x499.jpg

Wait... what?

Wright is a halfback flanker, who’s been thrown up forward because he’s a liability down back with his disposal.

Paton is a small defender/winger with very very good disposal, Lightning pace & strong build.

Why not throw him forward if can we throw the other s**t can forward?
Wright saw the writing on the wall two seasons ago and asked the VFL coach if we could try out playing small forward. And he got a go, smashed it at VFL level and came into the senior side playing the same role. He has played as a small forward since that moment.

Paton has been playing and training with the midfield and defensive group, not as a forward. We bring him in as a small forward, and he will get four touches and everyone will be complaining that we aren't playing him in the correct position.You can just bring in a debutant and play them in a completely new position and except them to succeed.

I get people want to see some new players, but you cant just bring in every player without thinking about where they would play and how that balances with the other players selected.

And Sincs was an elite wingman last year and has spent lots of this year in the forward line.
Armo went forward last week and kicked 3 .
So why cant Paton play forward ?
And everyone has recognised that Sinclair playing forward was a mistake because he had zero influence over games and couldn't find the football. This is a guy who spent the first two years of his career as a small forward. Thats why you cant just bring in a debutant and play them in a completely new position.

Wright saw the writing on the wall two seasons ago and asked the VFL coach if we could try out playing small forward. And he got a go, smashed it at VFL level and came into the senior side playing the same role. He has played as a small forward since that moment.

Paton has been playing and training with the midfield and defensive group, not as a forward. We bring him in as a small forward, and he will get four touches and everyone will be complaining that we aren't playing him in the correct position.You can just bring in a debutant and play them in a completely new position and except them to succeed.

I get people want to see some new players, but you cant just bring in every player without thinking about where they would play and how that balances with the other players selected.

And everyone has recognised that Sinclair playing forward was a mistake because he had zero influence over games and couldn't find the football. This is a guy who spent the first two years of his career as a small forward. Thats why you cant just bring in a debutant and play them in a completely new position.
Wright should not of got a game last week and Lonie is the same this week has had many many chances and like Wright wont be on our list next year , No reason at all why Paton couldn't work in the Forward line with Gresh - Weller - Billings.

Goes against what the club said they would do. Use this as an opportunity.

If it's about richo then we've already got it wrong.
People think Richo should be sacked, surely he can be forgiven for trying to win games and show evidence that he can coach.

Wright should not of got a game last week and Lonie is the same this week has had many many chances and like Wright wont be on our list next year , No reason at all why Paton couldn't work in the Forward line with Gresh - Weller - Billings.
The reason is that Paton isnt a forward. And the selection committee has selected a forward to come in and play in the forward line after a forward has been injured/omitted.

How is that so hard for so many people to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back