Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
The only position you haven' covered is the ruck. Talk about hedging your bets.
Huh?

Played the HBF competently in the SANFL last year, played the AFL defensive small forward role competently this year, played the midfield competently in the TAC Comp in 2016 and played the midfield role competently in the SANFL against North Adelaide in round 6 2018 with a team high 7 clearances [4 Centre Clearances].

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
His age is the one thing that surprises me. Watching him you just think he must be this 22 year over ager with no scope to really become a star.
Who knows what his ceiling is really if he can get a couple of preseasons in.
His highlights package looks really good. He looks a genuine footballer.

Big Crow

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
In a good position to have a long term career here, seeing Gallucci will most likely be moving to a more midfield/flanker role next season. Once that happens, the spots is Murphy's.
Here’s hoping, there’s something about him. If he keeps it up there’s no reason he can’t make it.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
How did Lever get through his guard then?
Probably by being able to hide his character (and parents too :D) very well. Also his actions predraft looked impressive, I guess (knee injury, then devoting his time to helping U18(?) team, showing character building traits) - the sort of things that make recruiters moist and overlook negative signs.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
With Murphy, we need to persist when he has bad nights. He isn't always going to get on the end of things and kick his 3 goals but he will learn.
Generally tackles and applies pressure pretty well. I hope we can get him to a point where if he has a bad night, he still contributes to locking it in our forward 50.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
With Murphy, we need to persist when he has bad nights. He isn't always going to get on the end of things and kick his 3 goals but he will learn.
This is exactly what annoyed me at times this year. Anyone could see he attacks the ball like few players on our team yet we dropped him soon as he had a dud or two in favour of stacking our forward line with height, height & more height. The way the game is played these days you simply have to have the smaller faster players at ground level and how much better did we look with the right blend last night?

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
What an absolute steal we have.

Loved his interview after the game - great that a kid is able to appreciate it all.
His story is fantastic. The fact he worked his ass off after not being drafted, even when told by our club that there's probably less than 5% chance he'd get a spot on the rookie list speaks volumes about how about he wants it. It sure beats seeing someone with enormous talent but no passion who just wastes it.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
His story is fantastic. The fact he worked his ass off after not being drafted, even when told by our club that there's probably less than 5% chance he'd get a spot on the rookie list speaks volumes about how about he wants it. It sure beats seeing someone with enormous talent but no passion who just wastes it.
You could see he's a 19yo thinking, hell, this time last year I was unlikely even to be on a list and here I am playing a nationally televised game against Gary Ablett and Co and getting to celebrate with Sloane while 46,000 people go off their nut.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Murphy deserves more praise than he is getting. Reminds me of Laird in terms of their heart and passion for the game, and also the rookie-listed origins.

I think the rookies will get more look-in in the future with success stories from Laird, Greenwood, Keath and Murphy. Murphy needs to have more game time, as he looks the next ready-made AFL player along with Doedee and Gooch.

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
This is exactly what annoyed me at times this year. Anyone could see he attacks the ball like few players on our team yet we dropped him soon as he had a dud or two in favour of stacking our forward line with height, height & more height. The way the game is played these days you simply have to have the smaller faster players at ground level and how much better did we look with the right blend last night?
Too be fair I think when he played earlier he looked a little stunned that he was there, a little unsure of himself. I think the moving back to the 2's was good for him. Last night he knew it was all or nothing, he needed to make that spot his. And he was bloody hungry for it, his attack at the contest was top shelf. I think the path he has taken will make him a better player.

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
I remember seeing him close up in the SANFL last year and thinking what a tough little bugger he is. For a small guy he goes in hard and puts his body on the line.

And even before that, at the start of last year when people were questioning why we recruited a midget as a top up player one poster called him a "gun". Was that you Bicks?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Hes the type of player who needs to get the best out of himself to keep in the side. With his mindset that seems very achievable

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I remember seeing him close up in the SANFL last year and thinking what a tough little bugger he is. For a small guy he goes in hard and puts his body on the line.

And even before that, at the start of last year when people were questioning why we recruited a midget as a top up player one poster called him a "gun". Was that you Bicks?
I saw enough of his TAC games to know he was an AFL standard player even at his height with his thirst for the contest and skillset.

Back