Eureka Stadium (Mars Stadium)

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Naivety does not suit you 74, politics at work, the Govt does something for the MCC, the MCC does something for the Govt, both need the AFL on board, classic slush fund stuff IMHO - why would the AFL pay for the lights, playing games in Ballarat is political fodder at best.

Now I know the Melbourne footy market is over supplied & demand is very weak for certain segments of the FIXture, lets take these games to A, B, C & the regions e.g Ballarat.
Got no problems with games in Ballarat per se see my apology for raining on (Roogals) parade.

The AFL were the ones who scheduled this 2nd Ballarat game at a ridiculous time - 3.20 on a Sunday thus requiring additional lighting. Put it on at 1.10 and save your money. Its an hour and a quarter travel for me - i will go because I'm a tragic but it means a 8 pm arrival home on a Sunday night. Timing defies logic if you want a crowd.

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
The AFL were the ones who scheduled this 2nd Ballarat game at a ridiculous time - 3.20 on a Sunday thus requiring additional lighting. Put it on at 1.10 and save your money. Its an hour and a quarter travel for me - i will go because I'm a tragic but it means a 8 pm arrival home on a Sunday night. Timing defies logic if you want a crowd.
I’m not sure crowds are really a concern for the AFL with Ballarats capacity at the moment, this game would definitely have been scheduled for a TV audience

Speck

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
On one hand playing at 1.10 would solve the problem, but on the other hand the AFL are giving exposure to Ballarat by putting them on Channel 7 at 3.20pm.

The AFL obviously understands this and are footing the bill for extra lighting as it darkens late in the game. What's wrong with that?

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
I agree with your points on the scheduling. After all they don't schedule Kardinia Park games on Sunday twilight or Sunday night for those very reasons. That said, it was common knowledge that Mars Stadium's lights were not going to be up to spec for live broadcast and they were never oringinally specified to be in the initial design brief for the Stage One development of the ground. Even if each of the existing four towers were fitted with their remaining 15 luminaires per-tower that would only upgrade its lighting from VFL grade to AFL non-televised grade. As stands are built around the ground, they could be supplemented by newer generation LED directional down-lights which do create daylight-like light around the boundaries (Already installed on the Eureka Stand) allowing the four towers to eventually be re-focussed at the centre of the oval.

Walking out afterwards, it seemed the adjoining North Ballarat FC lights were better than those at MARS. They were on to provide lighting to the car parks and those of us walking past all agreed.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Dm9IXR9UcAABNrz

Dm9IYDeU4AAMAVq

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I doubt it, it doesn't have media facilities positioned appropriately for cricket and its lighting is hopeless.
Alice Springs and formerly Etihad had square-on commentary positions, and lighting is pretty much not an issue for day games :p

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
2019 AFL Fixtures at Mars:
  • Sunday 10th March - 1.45pm Western Bulldogs v Saint Kilda (JLT Series) - Note: Victorian Labor Day Long Weekend
  • Saturday 11th May - 1.45pm Western Bulldogs v Brisbane (Round 8)
  • Saturday 24th August - 1.45pm Western Bulldogs v Adelaide (Round 23)
r0_285_5472_3363_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
I thought the dogs were playing three home and away games a season in Ballarat? Or is that the plan for the future

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ballarat should have made this a square ground and locked themselves in an A-League club.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
looks like i'll be jumping on the V-Line out to Ballarat next August....
I really don't get it. They ignore the beautiful old ground with the two classic grandstands – which would look quaint on TV – and build somewhere else. But the somewhere else they chose is an oval well out of town. What's the point? People are going to go once, realise it's a pain in the arse, and not bother. If you're able to get on a train by 9, be there by 10:30, have some lunch and wander around, be at the ground by 2, then home by 7 on a Saturday you'd do it. You're probably even going to have a countery or a few drinks after the game too.

Strange decision.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I really don't get it. They ignore the beautiful old ground with the two classic grandstands – which would look quaint on TV – and build somewhere else. But the somewhere else they chose is an oval well out of town. What's the point? People are going to go once, realise it's a pain in the arse, and not bother. If you're able to get on a train by 9, be there by 10:30, have some lunch and wander around, be at the ground by 2, then home by 7 on a Saturday you'd do it. You're probably even going to have a countery or a few drinks after the game too.

Strange decision.
It's not about looking quaint, it's about looking like you got quality facilities.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC

Strange decision.

oh so it's not easily accessible via train? can't say I've looked at the map

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not about looking quaint, it's about looking like you got quality facilities.
Looking like you have quality facilities or having quality facilities?

I understand it's a general ground for a big regional centre, and a place to host local Grand Finals and events. First and foremost that's it role.

But in terms of the AFL, how appealing really is it? It's a nice little boutique stadium but once you've been will you really go again? It has a lot going against it: the Bulldogs have a small supporter base so need to latch on, the opposition is always irrelevant, it's freezing cold, and it's ages away from bars and restaurants. Watching it on TV there isn't much appeal to the average punter.

If they had it at the city oval you immediately see those grandstands and go, jeez, that's a beautiful ground... I'll go up there one weekend or if you're a Port/Giants/Freo supporter, think 'that's looked great on tele, I might go over for that for a footy weekend.'

As it is now it's had very average returns and not much appeal.

cob384_img_3801-cmyk.jpg

This is where you'd make an exception and go out your way to see an AFL game at.

Back