2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 76,180 and still counting.

Feeling I assume now over 60,000 - a fantastic effort.

And special mention to Carlton who are now at 54,400 which is about + 4,500 up on last year I think. Great result all things considered but much growth ahead.
Update. I believe Carlton CEO confirmed the club has passed 55,000. I think this is a great achievement (+10% in 2018). Well done Blues fans that have signed up. Provides confidence that 70,000+ is well and truly achievable once the wins start happening with greater frequency.

Update. I believe Carlton CEO confirmed the club has passed 55,000. I think this is a great achievement (+10% in 2018). Well done Blues fans that have signed up. Provides confidence that 70,000+ is well and truly achievable once the wins start happening with greater frequency.

The big question will they still keep handing over their hard earned if Carlton stay at the bottom for the next couple of years which could be the reality if they dont start recruiting some decent experienced players to help the kids out.?

The big question will they still keep handing over their hard earned if Carlton stay at the bottom for the next couple of years which could be the reality if they dont start recruiting some decent experienced players to help the kids out.?
I'm not sure if they'll drop off much. They were on something like 45,500 when the season started. That means around 20% of their membership jumped on board with loss after loss. It has been unusual how they continue to pull in so many members, even after some really bad losses. Whatever that are doing it is working, and doesn't appear to be dependent on the on field results.

With the way they are tracking, it wouldn't surprise me if they break the 55,000 milestone.

Last edited:
These membership numbers have largely become a matter of Puff. They are used by the clubs for marketing purposes and by supporters to gloat or bemoan but have become largely separated from actual financial outcomes which is the real concern of businesses. 1 + 3 game members, inter-state, Tassie etc have distorted figures. Also do clubs leave members on the list until the end of the following year ?? As far as l know there's nothing stopping the giving away and discounting of memberships, using the marketing budget to buy some. So in my opinion it is attendances and better still the actual End of Year financials that are the truer picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given everything happening up there, that's a decent figure for this season

Between the player departures, form, and the comm games, it's a shitty year to sell memberships for a young club, so 12k imo is a solid effort
yep, and as a share of population its about the same as Richmond as share of melb population

Remove this Banner Ad

Back