Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Who exactly are you going to drop? And how will that effect our bench if a player is injured during a game?
Newman would be one of the first on peoples lists along with Robinson and to a lesser extent Fox. All 3 would be worth giving another go but I feel like Cameron's form should really be rewarded

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Newman would be one of the first on peoples lists along with Robinson and to a lesser extent Fox. All 3 would be worth giving another go but I feel like Cameron's form should really be rewarded

He's been great but Sinclair has earned his spot as the undisputed first ruck and Cameron can only get a shot if Sinclair gets hurt or needs a rest - which I suspect is a distinct possibility over the next 2 weeks given his huge work load and two consecutive 6 day breaks.

I'm not sure about Cameron... the current team is really, really young and inexperienced. If JPK is out next week then it seems likely that either Foote or Dawson will come in to replace, further lessening the levels of experience.

While I agree that he has played outstandingly in the reserves, I'm not sure that right now is the best time.

Game against North was arguably his best game for us so far. 8 marks, previously never gotten over 4.

Kid is a gun. 2-3 days older and he’d be running around in the TAC u18s this year.
Don't you mean younger?
Can't see how anyone could call for him to be dropped or rested, improving every game if you ask me.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it would be a good idea to give Sinclair a rest, but given our game plan of only having one true ruck in the side, I'm just not sure when. We should easily account for the Suns, but Witts is an absolute monster of a man and it would be a pretty stiff ask to put Cameron in against him.

aussietomt

Senior List
May 27, 2017
Wagga
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't you mean younger?
Can't see how anyone could call for him to be dropped or rested, improving every game if you ask me.
Sorry just onto this subject so I hope it is not being repetitive. This young man is so impressive, however, a brilliant highlight was his move to shepherd Aliir as he gathered the ball to kick the crucial goal at the end. Surprises me that the young fella seems to have a really good appreciation of the team needs. His long trip up to the half back flank in the last few minutes was vital. Took a very strong mark when the pressure was really on.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Sorry just onto this subject so I hope it is not being repetitive. This young man is so impressive, however, a brilliant highlight was his move to shepherd Aliir as he gathered the ball to kick the crucial goal at the end. Surprises me that the young fella seems to have a really good appreciation of the team needs. His long trip up to the half back flank in the last few minutes was vital. Took a very strong mark when the pressure was really on.

That shepherd was also straight after he punched the highball down to Papley who it to Aliir.

Impressive young man.

Heard on the radio that Grundy had 20 hitouts to advantage to none tonight. Not going any easier with Gawn next week!
But Sinclair does keep trying with second effort to get ball out from the pack.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Heard on the radio that Grundy had 20 hitouts to advantage to none tonight. Not going any easier with Gawn next week!
Grundy was one of the best on ground, but I thought Sinclair battled hard and had a number of influential touches himself. He worked himself into the ground to provide outlets on the switch and his second efforts were fantastic. He probably needed to play in front at throw-ins though - that was supremely frustrating seeing Grundy waltz in and get it time and time again.

Grundy was one of the best on ground, but I thought Sinclair battled hard and had a number of influential touches himself. He worked himself into the ground to provide outlets on the switch and his second efforts were fantastic. He probably needed to play in front at throw-ins though - that was supremely frustrating seeing Grundy waltz in and get it time and time again.
Didn't help that one boundary umpired kept throwing it in short, cost us Grundy's goal.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
That was literally right in front of me, but the most frustrating thing was that it happened numerous times (and not just with that boundary umpire).
That was very ordinary MCBG, commentators stated numerous times that the ruckman should adjust but there is in air of expectation of professionalism in sport...this wasn’t the case! Have you seen Mihoceks’s kit?

Sinclair deserves praise for going above and beyond earlier in the year when no one expected a hell of a lot from him. As the year has gone on though there has been a regression to the mean for him.

Serviceable player, clearly should not be a long term option as the #1 ruckman. I personally don't think he fits into the forward line either with Buddy/Reid/McCartin.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Sinclair deserves praise for going above and beyond earlier in the year when no one expected a hell of a lot from him. As the year has gone on though there has been a regression to the mean for him.

Serviceable player, clearly should not be a long term option as the #1 ruckman. I personally don't think he fits into the forward line either with Buddy/Reid/McCartin.

I was pondering this morning if we were able to get another ruck, whether we’d consider trading Sinclair whilst he has a bit of value. He is 29 in September. Just thinking out loud.

Here's Sinclair's CD profile, benchmarking his statistical averages vs everyone else playing the same position.

Disposals: Above Avg
Contested ball: Above Avg
Clearances: Avg
Hitout won %: Below Avg
Hitout to Advantage %: Below Avg
Scoreboard impact: Below Avg
Pressure: Avg

Just for comparisons sake, here is Grundy

Disposals: Elite
Contested ball: Elite
Clearances: Elite
Hitout won %: Above Avg
Hitout to Advantage %: Above Avg
Scoreboard impact: Elite
Pressure: Elite

And Nankervis:

Disposals: Above Avg
Contested ball: Above Avg
Clearances: Above Avg
Hitout won %: Below Avg
Hitout to Advantage %: Avg
Scoreboard impact: Above Avg
Pressure: Elite

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Grundy undoubtedly was the better ruckman and had a big influence on the game (2nd best player on ground behind Franklin imo) but Sinclair didn't disgrace himself. Some really good contested marks and valuable touches around the ground meant he had an influence himself, just nowhere near what Grundy did. And he won't be the last to be thoroughly beaten by Grundy, he's fantastic.

Grundy undoubtedly was the better ruckman and had a big influence on the game (2nd best player on ground behind Franklin imo) but Sinclair didn't disgrace himself. Some really good contested marks and valuable touches around the ground meant he had an influence himself, just nowhere near what Grundy did. And he won't be the last to be thoroughly beaten by Grundy, he's fantastic.

He also runs his guts out, he will make position and make himself available with gut running

He’s no Grundy or Gawn etc, but he competes for us

Agreed, Sinclair got absolutely smashed by a far better player but he at least had a red hot go and didn't stop trying all night. He'll never be at Grundy's level, but we can still demand a good effort from him and that's what we generally get. Definitely #1 ruckman ahead of Naismith by a fair distance

Back