Traded Rory Lobb [traded with #14, #43 and #47 to Fremantle for #11 and #19]

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of our hack Journo's here in WA, Kim Hagdorn, reckons Lobb is on the market and has been linked to Freo. He is contracted until the end of 2019 but believe he could be traded as a salary dump to keep the glut of midfielders coming out of contract next season around. He thinks Lobb is on $700K - $800K p.a. right now. What's his trade value worth?

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
One of our hack Journo's here in WA, Kim Hagdorn, reckons Lobb is on the market and has been linked to Freo. He is contracted until the end of 2019 but believe he could be traded as a salary dump to keep the glut of midfielders coming out of contract next season around. He thinks Lobb is on $700K - $800K p.a. right now. What's his trade value worth?
I highly doubt it. He's our number 1 ruckman. Unless Rory requests to go back to WA (which I haven't seen anything to suggest he will) I don't think we would be interested in pushing him out.

One of our hack Journo's here in WA, Kim Hagdorn

I was going to comment on Hagdorn but in the middle of quoting I saw you beat me to it. :D

I can't see GWS forcing out Lobb because their other ruck options are Simpson (who they'd rather not play if they could avoid it) or kids. For a win now team, that'd be a disaster.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

If the truth of Cerra wanting out to a Victorian club you could possibly do a three way with a Vic club.

You get Lobb, Vic club gets Cerra and GWS get picks?

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why would we want Lobb? Looked like he was going to really break out a couple of years ago but looks to have struggled this year. With the plethora of ruckman we have on the list seems a stupid way to spend 700k.

Dary, Jones, Meek and Sandilands likely to go on next year.

Also, Hackdorn. Wish people would stop giving anything he says oxygen. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, which is why he spouts as much drivel as he does.

No way you pick this guy up on a salary of $700k+.

To say he has been a disappointment would be a massive under statement

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If the truth of Cerra wanting out to a Victorian club you could possibly do a three way with a Vic club.

You get Lobb, Vic club gets Cerra and GWS get picks?
F*** no. Lobb is massively overrated because his 1 good skill looks great (contested marking). He is ordinary at best at most other things football.
Why would we want Lobb? Looked like he was going to really break out a couple of years ago but looks to have struggled this year. With the plethora of ruckman we have on the list seems a stupid way to spend 700k.

Also, Hackdorn. Wish people would stop giving anything he says oxygen. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, which is why he spouts as much drivel as he does.
I'd be blown away if we are. What was the point in drafting 4 rucks in the last 2 years if we are targeting an overpriced player from another club?

FTR, I also don't believe for a second that GWS are paying him 700k+. More like 400k.

No way you pick this guy up on a salary of $700k+.

To say he has been a disappointment would be a massive under statement

Didn't bother touching on that, but also no way would he be on $700k.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors

If freo did get him he wouldnt play as a ruckman at all,he'd be your best kpf straight away

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If freo did get him he wouldnt play as a ruckman at all,he'd be your best kpf straight away

No he wouldn't.

He has similar goal kicking and contested marking stats to Taberner (with the benefit of playing in the GWS forward line) and I'd argue Cox is already better. Especially with another preseason.

Lobb looked like he was about to go next level, but for some reason (injury?) he hasn't.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

None of that would be remotely accurate.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didn't bother touching on that, but also no way would he be on $700k.
I could see him being on those dollars. If he signed a deal on $550/k - $600K back in 2016 and then his salary increased with the CBA agreement, he'd be close to or above $700K.

I could see him being on those dollars. If he signed a deal on $550/k - $600K back in 2016 and then his salary increased with the CBA agreement, he'd be close to or above $700K.

Most clubs didn't have clauses in their contracts to automatically increase them in line with the CBA. I don't think GWS did because they managed to re-sign Josh Kelly - gutfeel was he got that CBA increase.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most clubs didn't have clauses in their contracts to automatically increase them in line with the CBA. I don't think GWS did because they managed to re-sign Josh Kelly - gutfeel was he got that CBA increase.
Eh I kind of disagree. Every player manager knew the CBA was up for renegotiation and would've known about a significant increase to TPP. Any manager worth their salt would've included this clause for the player's signing new contracts in 2015 & 2016 in anticipation of the new CBA.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle

What evidence would support this statement? His body or work wouldn't put him ahead of Taberner pre injury and Brennan Cox who as a 19 year old is showing that he has what it takes to be our KPF focal point.

upload_2018-7-17_14-12-26.png

Certainly not worth a 700k a year contract with his form this year and he seems to play a good role at a successful side in GWS, no idea why they would let him go.

upload_2018-7-17_14-14-59.png

Eh I kind of disagree. Every player manager knew the CBA was up for renegotiation and would've known about a significant increase to TPP. Any manager worth their salt would've included this clause for the player's signing new contracts in 2015 & 2016 in anticipation of the new CBA.

While the majority of players will be rewarded immediately due to contract clauses, including an automatic rise in accordance with the new CBA deal, several clubs including Port Adelaide and West Coast have most players on fixed contracts and will in the coming weeks resume negotiations with those soon coming out of contract.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-on-brink-of-pay-deal-with-players-20170511-gw2ymw.html

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't remember who said it but after the CBA was announced some journo reported that the only clubs who didn't have significant increases written in were Port and West Coast.

Edit: Just saw you posted the link.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
What evidence would support this statement? His body or work wouldn't put him ahead of Taberner pre injury and Brennan Cox who as a 19 year old is showing that he has what it takes to be our KPF focal point.

View attachment 528741

Certainly not worth a 700k a year contract with his form this year and he seems to play a good role at a successful side in GWS, no idea why they would let him go.

View attachment 528744
Not sure about stats but he would be required to play 0% ruck with freo and is a strong mark and has good leading patterns.i agree taberner improved immensely this season and cox may be good in the long run but regardless of price he would be you starting ff if he was in your team right now? No?

Back