Ben Brown Run-Up

Remove this Banner Ad

His run up for a shot on goal is almost 50m long.
I think he should be required to bounce the ball twice before he has a shot at goal. Otherwise he should be pinged for running too far. :drunk:

To interrupt with a serious question...

How does the mega runup mesh with the protected area?

I mean, surely at the top of his run he's well outside the area...Can opposition players stand or move around next to (in front of?) him when he's back there?

If I was an oppo coach playing North in an important game, I'd be asking for 'clarification' from the ups pre game and then exploiting any flexibility that provides....Even if it's just to unnerve him a bit and interrupt his preparation.

I mean, surely at the top of his run he's well outside the area...Can opposition players stand or move around next to (in front of?) him when he's back there?

If I was an oppo coach playing North in an important game, I'd be asking for 'clarification' from the ups pre game and then exploiting any flexibility that provides....Even if it's just to unnerve him a bit and interrupt his preparation.

The protected area extends 10m behind him up to the man on the mark so it basically stretches 60m!

Blokes been playing the best part of 6 years yet still gets hounded by every journo and now random fans as if he debuted it over night.

Started it at weribee, run straight, garner momentum, get set, ball goes straight.

The crazy thing is the 30 second rule only applies to starting your run up

Nothing stopping you going back 100m and taking a minute to walk in and kick it

The rule will change soon that it has to be kicked inside 30 seconds

Rubbish, most players wait for the 5 second whistle before starting their walk forward.

No player is going to take a mark, run back, run forward and then kick straight for a goal all within 30 seconds. Especially after running their guts out to take the mark in the first place.

The AFL wants more goals mate, not less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish, no player is going to take a mark, run back, run forward and then kick straight for a goal all within 30 seconds (most players wait for the 5 second whistle before starting their walk forward). Especially after running their guts out to take the mark in the first place. The AFL wants more goals mate, not less.

Don't take it personally - as Brown isn't doing it for any other reason other than it's his normal habit

The point remains the rule can (and is) exploited. Come a grand final with 90 seconds on the clock - take a mark 52m out and point to the goals. Run back 75m and do the worlds slowest walk in to kick. Perfectly legal.

Most blokes are running in and kicking with 5-7 seconds to go - so no issue getting the ball off in time. Brown actually gets back really quickly to his mark unlike most.

I agree his run up is a joke..there actually should be a Max distance and about 10/15 metres seems about right. Outside here PLAY ON.

lol a whole thread whinging that Ben Brown takes an extra 5 seconds to kick a goal :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Starting your run up from 20 meters out vs starting your run up from 40 meters adds about an extra 4-6 seconds per kick. Go outside and test how long it takes for you to jog 20-25 meters. Brown averages about 4 of these run ups per game. 4 by 5 seconds = 20 seconds.

Maybe if all players followed his lead we'd have more goals scored in our games for a better spectacle.

Additionally, I believe the AFL should increase the clock the 40 seconds to allow all players a time to breath before kicking for goal. The 30 second rule has sped up the game at the cost of kicking accuracy.

I agree his run up is a joke..there actually should be a Max distance and about 10/15 metres seems about right. Outside here PLAY ON.
Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. 95% of players run further than 10/15 for their approach

Well how Dumb are you. I said 10/15 is adequate outside that play on. I like Ben Brown I just don't think his run up is necessary.
Yes, and 95% of players run more than 15 meters for their approach.
Pace out 15 meters, it's not as much as you think it is.

The crazy thing is the 30 second rule only applies to starting your run up

Nothing stopping you going back 100m and taking a minute to walk in and kick it

The rule will change soon that it has to be kicked inside 30 seconds
Like we saw with the Stringer 'incident', the umpire can call play on if he deems it time wasting.

There are multiple ways to exploit the rules when kicking for goal.

1. Ben Brown 100m run up
2. Waste all of the time available and then chip kick.

They're both shady, for mine. The waste time + chip kick should be an automatic ball up.

If you go back for a kick at goal, after 15s you should be obligated to take it.

Like we saw with the Stringer 'incident', the umpire can call play on if he deems it time wasting.
happened the other week in a Hawks game as well

Player takes a mark at 50, goes back and lines up for a set shot

gets told to move on by the ump, no 30 second shot clock, as he starts his run in the ump calls play on, luckily man on the mark doesn't run at him because he was having a shot at goal and kicks it

no indication he was looking to pass off but them ump obviously thought he couldn't kick it from there and decided he wasn't going to get the 30 seconds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back