Society/Culture Psuedoscientific nonsense

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why I start the day with a serving of activated almonds and a good multivitamin.
Someone at uni offered me some activated almonds a couple of days ago. I involuntarily laughed while they held the container out to me. I think it was because I assumed they were joking. Turns out they weren't, and I think she was a little hurt at my reaction.

I ate a couple though. Told her they were nice. Not sure if I saved face...

Acupuncture was derided for years as was medicinal cannabis. Probably others you could add also.
True, along with the benefits of meditation. Sometimes science can be slow on the uptake, but there is also a lot of snake oil out there.

Acupuncture was derided for years as was medicinal cannabis. Probably others you could add also.
Acupuncture is still little more than hocus pocus.
Medicinal cannabis is not even remotely in the same category.
Cannabis is an extant plant which has real substances, chemically definable substances within it.

I know this east german chick

Her mum was trained in accupressure by the Russians.back in the day. She now teaches hospitals all across Germany. She works in palliitive care as well with great results.

Amazing amazing woman.

She proof that pharmacology is mostly psuedo scientific nonense.

I know this east german chick

Her mum was trained in accupressure by the Russians.back in the day. She now teaches hospitals all across Germany. She works in palliitive care as well with great results.

Amazing amazing woman.

She proof that pharmacology is mostly psuedo scientific nonense.
I would love to know who your school teachers were because I have a strongly worded letter I'd like to write.

I would love to know who your school teachers were because I have a strongly worded letter I'd like to write.
You've just expressed what they call cognitive dissonance.

It's a very real, scientifically validated and common disorder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many people (and now even gp's) swear by it. Even if its a placebo, then its probably a cheap placebo.

Doesnt the placebo affect account for much of a drugs success in general?

Proper drug trials account pretty easily for the placebo effect via the double blind process.

I think half the battle that alternative approaches have is that it's not so easy to do a proper scientific double blind trial as it is with a pill. That in itself shouldn't mean they are dismissed out of hand.

You are right in that simply going to see someone and have them listen to you can have a benefit on a variety of ailments.

Someone at uni offered me some activated almonds a couple of days ago. I involuntarily laughed while they held the container out to me. I think it was because I assumed they were joking. Turns out they weren't, and I think she was a little hurt at my reaction.

I ate a couple though. Told her they were nice. Not sure if I saved face...

What is an "activated" almond?

What is an "activated" almond?
What she said:
The process for activating an almond is to leave them submerged in water over night.

I'm not joking.
Now, you may ask, "And what does an activated almond do that a presumably inert almond doesn't?"

That's a fantastic question CM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back