Is footy media at its most unwatchable?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Learn to mute is what i say.
I have a new ritual where the game goes on, i mute it, put music on lightly in the background and watch whilst i sit on the laptop with either a red or whisky.

the game isn't so unwatchable if you don't listen to the inane crap on the broadcast.
Kinda like going to the game live but without the crowd noise. i do miss that.

r0_0_620_348_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Player involvement in the coverage of the game is cheapening the AFL.

But the NBA does it, so therefore the AFL has to do it ... good idea or not. We copy everything they do. If you want an idea of how AFL will look (both as a sport and the media) in 10-15 years, just take a look at the NBA. Horrifying. Free Agency is a shambles, the lottery draft is a pig's breakfast, mid year trading is a joke, and as for the media ..... God help us all.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
But the NBA does it, so therefore the AFL has to do it ... good idea or not. We copy everything they do. If you want an idea of how AFL will look (both as a sport and the media) in 10-15 years, just take a look at the NBA. Horrifying. Free Agency is a shambles, the lottery draft is a pig's breakfast, mid year trading is a joke, and as for the media ..... God help us all.
I just want professional and impartial commentators who bring knowledge and experience and call it as they see it. Whether it be via commentary or interviews, and whether they be male or female, I'm sick of hearing from players. 'Player access' is boring and is rapidly taking the edge off the AFL.

Sunset

All Australian
Jun 19, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I just want professional and impartial commentators who bring knowledge and experience and call it as they see it
Wishful thinking I'm afraid in this entertainment product known as the AFL.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I just want professional and impartial commentators who bring knowledge and experience and call it as they see it. Whether it be via commentary or interviews, and whether they be male or female, I'm sick of hearing from players. 'Player access' is boring and is rapidly taking the edge off the AFL.

Unfortunately, those days have passed us by. As a lad, journos simply reported facts and allowed us to formulate our own opinions. Believe it or not, if it was printed in the papers, it was true. By the 1980s, journos gave the truth a wide berth and began writing opinion pieces, often based on fact. These days, they just write crap, and if they don't have a story, they'll just make one up. You'll never hear anyone in the media willing to voice an honest opinion, they wouldn't last long.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
The putrid state of football media has seriously destroyed my interest in the game (that and Carlton being an ongoing basket case with no end in sight).

So many former players thieving a living in the media, it really is a disgrace. Unprepared, unprofessional, no insight whatsoever, 'big' statements that are just complete crap and are 99% of the time against easy targets (calling out Liam Jones for an apparently poor effort but never doing the same for big name players, who themselves will likely continue the cycle by entering the media boys club upon retirement).

Seriously they must create a shitload of these 'jobs' at the conclusion of each season, as once we are presented with one of these former players it seems like they just hang around forever despite providing absolutely nothing (see Brad Johnson, who would likely go home every night pleased with another great day's 'work' ever and thinking how great life is when in reality he should not in any shape or form be paid to analyse football).

Then as many others have pointed out you get the lazy, unaccountable, grandstanding 'journos' who literally just make stuff up to satisfy expectations of their archaic mastheads in the 'digital' space (their papers will be gone soon at least).

Shows like 360 are also completely unwatchable now, with Gerard's faux gravitas acting as if everything is so serious and means so much. These guys need everything to be so 'important' as it justifies their existences and allows the cycle to continue on unfettered. Then you get guys like Jordan Lewis being wheeled out once a week in an attempt to build their 'brand', transitioning ever closer to inevitable entry into the boys club upon retirement.

Intelligent commentators who are humble and genuinely passionate about the game (Huddo) are very much a dying breed. When a guy like Paul Roos (who clearly just rocks up for the pay cheque without actually watching any more than the bare minimum of games) is considered one of the best minds in the industry you know it's a pretty weak field.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The putrid state of football media has seriously destroyed my interest in the game (that and Carlton being an ongoing basket case with no end in sight).

So many former players thieving a living in the media, it really is a disgrace. Unprepared, unprofessional, no insight whatsoever, 'big' statements that are just complete crap and are 99% of the time against easy targets (calling out Liam Jones for an apparently poor effort but never doing the same for big name players, who themselves will likely continue the cycle by entering the media boys club upon retirement).

Seriously they must create a shitload of these 'jobs' at the conclusion of each season, as once we are presented with one of these former players it seems like they just hang around forever despite providing absolutely nothing (see Brad Johnson, who would likely go home every night pleased with another great day's 'work' ever and thinking how great life is when in reality he should not in any shape or form be paid to analyse football).

Then as many others have pointed out you get the lazy, unaccountable, grandstanding 'journos' who literally just make stuff up to satisfy expectations of their archaic mastheads in the 'digital' space (their papers will be gone soon at least).

Shows like 360 are also completely unwatchable now, with Gerard's faux gravitas acting as if everything is so serious and means so much. These guys need everything to be so 'important' as it justifies their existences and allows the cycle to continue on unfettered. Then you get guys like Jordan Lewis being wheeled out once a week in an attempt to build their 'brand', transitioning ever closer to inevitable entry into the boys club upon retirement.

Intelligent commentators who are humble and genuinely passionate about the game (Huddo) are very much a dying breed. When a guy like Paul Roos (who clearly just rocks up for the pay cheque without actually watching any more than the bare minimum of games) is considered one of the best minds in the industry you know it's a pretty weak field.

Gerard's faux gravitas is spot on.

He treats the game like it's a murder trial most of the time. It's a game. A game.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
And something useful that could be learned from the NBA (ie you CAN be ejected from the game) we will never do.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Lo and behold the Cyril retirement story is confirmed some sections are going with ‘Cyril comeback’ rumours are being written
Let me guess.
Something along the lines of "he wants to be left alone for a while and it won't happen whilst he is an AFL player so he quit until he is ready to come back".
Also did you know that Sloane only signed with the Crows so he could prove his foot is healed, if he comes good through most of next year he will be traded to a Melb club end of next season? Another doozy.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I do not watch AFL media for ALL the reasons cited by the forum contributors to this topic. People who tow the party line are mediocre at best and a fccuken disgrace at worst. I do watch footy with the mute button on and it is a much more enjoyable experience. I only started doing this this year..should have been doing it for a lot longer wo is me. I am in recovery however and past an addiction. I will never take AFL seriously again...truth is you get over it in your late 30s. You cant play anymore so why give a toss!

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Learn to mute is what i say.
I have a new ritual where the game goes on, i mute it, put music on lightly in the background and watch whilst i sit on the laptop with either a red or whisky.

the game isn't so unwatchable if you don't listen to the inane crap on the broadcast.
Kinda like going to the game live but without the crowd noise. i do miss that.

I have gone back to listening to it on radio instead. Is more exciting and if a day game and the weather is nice I can work outside in the garden at the same time.

cfc4life

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton

I wish I could like this a million times.

Doesn't matter if you have any intelligence or insights, or even a bearable voice (I'm looking at you Nick Dal Santo). If you're a former player step right up and take your cushy media job. It's a disgrace.

I can't imagine what Clinton Grybas is thinking looking down on us from heaven right now. He'd be ashamed.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

Nodded all the way through, especially comments about Brad Johnson and Paul Roos. Absolute freeloaders. Brad Johnson wormed his way onto Backpage last night and, as usual, added nothing.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I wish I could like this a million times.

Doesn't matter if you have any intelligence or insights, or even a bearable voice (I'm looking at you Nick Dal Santo). If you're a former player step right up and take your cushy media job. It's a disgrace.

I can't imagine what Clinton Grybas is thinking looking down on us from heaven right now. He'd be ashamed.

Dal Santo, there's a name. How? Why? What?

How did he get on air?

Why does he constantly shout?

What's with those chompers?

cfc4life

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Dal Santo, there's a name. How? Why? What?

How did he get on air?

Why does he constantly shout?

What's with those chompers?

Just the most annoying high pitched squeal, he's the worst. Always just spouting pre-written passages as well. Doesn't add anything.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I'm a footy-nut like most of us on here. I love footy shows, analysis etc. and I cannot stand the AFL media in it's current landscape. I watch less and less TV shows and listen to less radio every year. If I'm watching a game I watch the game only, no pre-game or post-game. I will listen to pre-game and post-game on radio some times.

But seriously, what are we to expect when we have people like Mark Robinson and (until last year) Caroline Wilson in the most prominent journalistic roles? What are we to expect when there's hundreds and hundreds of 'accredited AFL media personnel', who all have to fill air-time and column inches. It's a joke. I mean take the 'issue' of runners. Seriously? Okay Jeremy Laidler was out on the ground for too long but for christ sake. Report it if the AFL send Sydney a please explain or fine, but why is that the major topic for a number of the popular shows? It's a complete non-issue. How many hours have been spent discussing Carlton's woes. I could just about name every player Carlton has or should have drafted in the past 10 years it's been discussed that much. Add to this we have a glut of big-headed journos that believe their role in the game is as important as the players and coaches that they should be free to get whatever info they like and free to make whatever statements, and write whatever crap they like without being held to account by anybody.

The thing that is p*ssing me off more than anything right now is the "player access" crap peddled out by every journo at any opportunity they like. Robbo said on 360 that "we the fans want to see more of the players rah rah rah.....so on" as if he were somehow speaking on behalf of the common footy fan. Conflict much? Journos want more access so they can write more crap. I don't know many fans that give two sh*ts about what a player has to say as he's walking out to his position, or walking off at half time. I don't care what the players have to say when they've gone to get an x-ray. It's cringeworthy. Same with coaches. What they give the media is so bland, cliched and peripheral it's not funny.

Thank god for the very few relatively impartial and professional commentators/journos, or for the guys that actually hold people to account. I'm sticking with podcasts now, as most of them are done by guys with less prevalent roles in the media or who have no media-organisation bias and are happy to call people out/actually review games in-depth.

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
The thing that is p*ssing me off more than anything right now is the "player access" crap peddled out by every journo at any opportunity they like. Robbo said on 360 that "we the fans want to see more of the players rah rah rah.....so on" as if he were somehow speaking on behalf of the common footy fan. Conflict much? Journos want more access so they can write more crap. I don't know many fans that give two sh*ts about what a player has to say as he's walking out to his position, or walking off at half time. I don't care what the players have to say when they've gone to get an x-ray. It's cringeworthy. Same with coaches. What they give the media is so bland, cliched and peripheral it's not funny.
This x 100.

Nobody wants player access other than the media, it's actually hilarious seeing them breathlessly wheel out this argument again and again when in reality 99% of supporters have no interest in seeing players interviewed as they walk off the ground, if in fact at all.

The players are paid to play and if they happen to be funny/interesting off the field, supporters can just follow them on Instagram for additional 'access'.

Milk Steak

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Lions
This x 100.

Nobody wants player access other than the media, it's actually hilarious seeing them breathlessly wheel out this argument again and again when in reality 99% of supporters have no interest in seeing players interviewed as they walk off the ground, if in fact at all.

The players are paid to play and if they happen to be funny/interesting off the field, supporters can just follow them on Instagram for additional 'access'.
Correct. I can’t stand listening to players being interviewed most of the time. It’s cliche after cliche s**t anyway. If I’m watching any of the footy chat shows that I’ve recorded I’ll fast forward any segment that has players on or “Players Night”

Back