Player Watch #31: Bayley ‘Slick’ Fritsch

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Firtch is clearly a better mark than Green was overhead, more courageous also. Green a better user of the ball though.
Banana fritter is pretty bloody good, think judging him against peak Brad is stiff

Banana fritter is pretty bloody good, think judging him against peak Brad is stiff

Yea, thats not to say he uses it terrible at all. He uses it very well. Green was elite though, especially early in his career.

Fritsch has been great, but worth remembering that year two is much harder than year one for mature age draftees. They go from "look at all the things he can do" to "why ISN'T he doing X, Y or Z". I'm no fan of Brad Green as a general rule, but to be fair to him he put together a really good career.

The way he just gets rid of Gowers with ease (5:50 mark) is ridiculous for a kid who is a beanpole and has basically never played down back.

Also - check out how Hibberd gets dumped well after getting rid of the ball in the middle of the ground in the same passage of play (6:05). They penalise players for the ridiculous 'protected area' infringements yet players can get away with that?

The best part was the snapshot of Goodwin popping up in the corner as Clarry bullets that pass to Petracca at the end of the video. Simon approves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fritsch has been great, but worth remembering that year two is much harder than year one for mature age draftees. They go from "look at all the things he can do" to "why ISN'T he doing X, Y or Z". I'm no fan of Brad Green as a general rule, but to be fair to him he put together a really good career.

Fritsch is one out of the box. I wouldn't compare him to any other player - its pointless. Find me a player anywhere, at anytime, who has moved as well as Fritsch. The closest I can think of is one of your very own. Robbie Flower. Pretty sure Fritsch will have zero problems with second year blues, he may even move into the midfield and establish himself as a top 20 player in the league.

Gun at circle work obviously.
1732bfc5e6a9cfe30eb697a861fbc4a5.jpg

Could he be a permanent back flanker with Hibbo down?

They've been playing him back a fair bit of late, although can be hard to tell if they're having him float down off a wing whilst loose. I think longterm his best spot is on the wing (He isn't quick but that doesn't matter when he has other weapons) but he could spend some time down back to pinch hit.

I literally came here to say he was a combination of Bruce, Green and Yze.

Spooky.

A combination between Bruce and Yze I could agree with. There is nothing Brad Green about Bayley Fritsch. I see a lot of Cam Bruce in the way Fritsch moves though, that is a great comparison I never considered. Comparisons to Yze are relevant because both were pin point in accuracy. Fritsch is a free flowing player. Brad Green was more stiff in his movement IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back