C64 Mini

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Cashing in on snes mini comes the C64 version.

http://nerdist.com/the-commodore-64-mini-c64mini-games/

First thought, it looks good but if it is 50% the size of the original that's still a pretty big mini.

I had played a few Atari and PC games at friends houses but this was the first gaming system in my house and I spent years playing it with brothers and friends. So even if its a cash grab I wouldn't have minded buying one but I'm a bit disappointed in the games selection.

There must of been thousands of games by the end, some were just good ports of arcade games (Bubble Bobble, Ghosts n Goblins, 720) and there are probably licence issues with many of them (Ghostbusters, D&D games, Spy vs Spy) but there are a heap of classics I'm surprised didn't get in.

The Last Ninja, Wizball, Archon, International Karate/Way of the Exploding Fist, Bolder Dash, Skate or Die!... But not having Defender of the Crown or Wizard of Wor has to be a deal breaker.
Would've been fun to see if Mission Impossiible is still the hardest game I've ever played but I'll probably just keep an eye on it and hope for some game updates.

I agree with OP
Defender of the crown was the first game I looked for on that list.
It's a real shame it's not there.
I mainly played it on the Amiga so maybe there's some rights issues or something.

It was a great system and where I grew up, it was either c64 or Amiga.
Consoles, in particular the NES, didn't catch on with my friends and family until perhaps very late 80s or beginning of the 90s.
Huge and very strong libraries, both of them.

If you think wankkers cramp is bad go give decathlon a bash

I remember we usd to trash joysticks pretty quickly especially with the track and field games. My older brother had a knack for fixing them, pull them apart, lots of CRC and tape them back together with electrical tape. I'm sure had no idea what he was doing but he was normally able to get them working for a little longer.

We had a couple of decent ones but I remember mainly having these cheapies, the quickshot.

Spectravideo_QuickShot_I,_2.jpg

Anyone else got one of these? I'm loving it!
Finally worked out the USB drive formatting issue I was having and playing other games off of it.
Some great memories!

Finally worked out the USB drive formatting issue I was having and playing other games off of it.
Some great memories!

Does it use the same roms as the emulators? and does it add them simply to the main list or do you have to start them differently each time?

Still thinking of grabbing one IF it can be set up with the games I want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same roms as emulators buy they have to be a particular name at the moment... so can only access one file on a USB at a time. There's a couple of really good disc compilations doing the rounds that have up to 20 games in one disc image.

There's a firmware update coming apparently that will allow access to multiple roms on a USB stick or HDD.

At the moment you need to load them through BASIC just like you would a normal C64... ie: LOAD"$",8 then list then LOAD"*",8,1 then RUN etc etc
It's much easier with a USB keyboard plugged in as the virtual keyboard using the joystick sucks balls.

Other limitation at the moment is that it only supports games that run off the old Joystick Port 2, but if you've got two USB Joysticks running then that's fine... there's plenty of hacked/modded roms working around that. A quick google search will net you plenty of info and downloads for the C64 Mini

Considering this but not enough games included to get me over the line,no Intl.Karate,Jeep Command,Lazy Jones etc.

Some great memories!

Thought about it but didn't end up buying one on the basis that I have c64 and c128's still working (inc drives & an SD2IEC) plus the windows emulation with over 1000 games.

Would just end up on the shelf with the rest :)

Thought about it but didn't end up buying one on the basis that I have c64 and c128's still working (inc drives & an SD2IEC) plus the windows emulation with over 1000 games.

Would just end up on the shelf with the rest :)

I have a heap of roms on PC with emulation too, but this feels close to the original.
Still wish I had my original "bread box" C64 and C128D... My uncle "borrowed" mine years back and they stopped working so he just threw them out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back