Official Club Stuff From The President - Club officially debt free 1st Feb 2021!!

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with you.

People think that the football club is list management and on field results. There is so much more to it than that. Nothing that MLG has done, aside from the easy part of hiring SOS, remotely resonates with me as being an effective club president.

The most damning part of it was what Cain Liddle thought when he had a chance to sit down in his new role. He damned the minimal spending in the football department among other issues. These are things that MLG had three years to improve before Liddle's hiring.

I guarantee you MLG would offer excuses such as "But Wickzki, the club was financially crippled when I took over the role..." and that's all that they would be. Pretty poor excuses.

As a counter I argue this... When Eddie McGuire took over the Collingwood Football Club he did so with the full knowledge that the Pies were as close to on their knees as they could be. Membership was low. Football department spending was low. The Pies were almost dead in the water. Instead of sitting on his ass and using those excuses he channeled the money where it had to go in order to make his club successful.

What has Mark accomplished as president of the Carlton Football Club?

Wick, surely under his watch it is starting to happen

McGuire wasn't an overnight sensation, it took time

The difference is McGuire was more vocal, while Mark has taken a different path, one that suits his strengths

These don’t sound like significant achievements to me....although I agree keeping Mathieson quiete is a good thing.

Something doesn’t seem right with MLG.....and he hasn’t really done anything for me to think wow this guy is pretty good...I think Carlton needs someone very good at this role and all roles for that matter...I’m really happy with bolton and although I think sos will continue to do well I dont like the fact that he is closely linked to MLG.

To me they are hugely significant as no other President since 2003 was able to do those things.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Wick, surely under his watch it is starting to happen

McGuire wasn't an overnight sensation, it took time

The difference is McGuire was more vocal, while Mark has taken a different path, one that suits his strengths
I think the important thing is whether or not he is creating an environment for people to challenge ideas and bring about appropriate changes....what I’m hearing (if they are true) is that he is simply putting people that will not challenge him ...he doesn’t have the persona for that role...need to be very good...look at kenette for example...big difference

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with you.

People think that the football club is list management and on field results. There is so much more to it than that. Nothing that MLG has done, aside from the easy part of hiring SOS, remotely resonates with me as being an effective club president.

The most damning part of it was what Cain Liddle thought when he had a chance to sit down in his new role. He damned the minimal spending in the football department among other issues. These are things that MLG had three years to improve before Liddle's hiring.

I guarantee you MLG would offer excuses such as "But Wickzki, the club was financially crippled when I took over the role..." and that's all that they would be. Pretty poor excuses.

As a counter I argue this... When Eddie McGuire took over the Collingwood Football Club he did so with the full knowledge that the Pies were as close to on their knees as they could be. Membership was low. Football department spending was low. The Pies were almost dead in the water. Instead of sitting on his ass and using those excuses he channeled the money where it had to go in order to make his club successful.

I agree that in the case of Collingwood, McGuire was the president they needed and has done a great job at rejuvenating a great old club (personal bias aside). Is that what you think we need - someone as visible, vocal and hands-on as McGuire?
Is that a rhetorical question - you actually believe MLG has accomplished nothing? Or like me, do you actually not know what he does because he prefers to keep a lower profile than a McGuire, Kennett or Elliott?
I like to think that MLG is doing what a president should do: preside over a board that is putting the right people in place to do the various jobs around the footy club and then just let the bakers bake as they say.
But then I wouldn't really know, I don't set foot inside the club. Maybe he really is doing nothing. I'm not sure a do-nothing president would survive very long though.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
So? - We stay the course. Buy our memberships , watch the team and hang in there. It will turn and when it does we enjoy.

Is that before or after the players are motivated and playing with confidence because none of that has been happening this year.

What makes you so sure the players will be motivated and confident next year? Any evidence?

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Is that before or after the players are motivated and playing with confidence because none of that has been happening this year.

What makes you so sure the players will be motivated and confident next year? Any evidence?
It's MLG.

It's the vibe.

Two more signed on for extensions - Kerr and TDK. Continued evidence in my view, of motivation and commitment. Confidence will come when they are playing together more often.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Two more signed on for extensions - Kerr and TDK. Continued evidence in my view, of motivation and commitment. Confidence will come when they are playing together more often.

This is no evidence - these are just kids that need to sign-on to continue their development (strongly hope). Between them they have played not even five games.

Where is Patrick Cripps - do we need to sign him on for mega bucks so he can stay?

This is no evidence - these are just kids that need to sign-on to continue their development (strongly hope). Between them they have played not even five games.

Where is Patrick Cripps - do we need to sign him on for mega bucks so he can stay?
Disagree.

I’ve already said what I think is happening with Cripps. His management and SOS are still working out structure of the deal, and holding off finalising so SOS has some flexibility to arrange deals with free agents.

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Disagree.

I’ve already said what I think is happening with Cripps. His management and SOS are still working out structure of the deal, and holding off finalising so SOS has some flexibility to arrange deals with free agents.

So we are likely to pay through the nose so he can stay at the club. Hope not.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
1-1.2 million on two year contract

I want to see 800k-1 million on five years
Highly doubt 5 years will happen players dont sign past or into FA at his age now .
But would be a nice surprise if it did .
And doubt he would be getting that for 2 .

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Highly doubt 5 years will happen players dont sign past or into FA at his age now .
But would be a nice surprise if it did .
And doubt he would be getting that for 2 .

You don't know - we are as hopeless as they come.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
If you mean regarding player payment i think your totally wrong .
It was well known our players were getting well over paid per performance up until the current admin and SoS got involved .
And by all reports have reeled the payments back to give ourselves plenty of money to use in the next couple of years .

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
I think the important thing is whether or not he is creating an environment for people to challenge ideas and bring about appropriate changes....what I’m hearing (if they are true) is that he is simply putting people that will not challenge him ...he doesn’t have the persona for that role...need to be very good...look at kenette for example...big difference

He may not be the man for the job, but what he has done, is laid out a plan from the start with Bolton, SOS and Mckay and the board and they have stayed on that path. There are no mixed messages, they are sticking fat which is not what we are used to from our club. This is going to take time and they have all said that.
Things will not always go according to plan, injuries etc, but they are sticking to the plan. Outsiders and the media may not like it and are kicking up dirt, they want a story, they want the old Carlton, they want a sacking or a white knight.
I am more than happy bide my time and wait, once they start changing the message with out good reason then I will start to worry.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
i don t have a problem with the independent Nominations committee doing the grunt work on vetting candidates for the board.
What I would like to see, is them putting up who the candidates were. How do I know if there was another candidate?
However it would bring a measure of transparency to the process.

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
i don t have a problem with the independent Nominations committee doing the grunt work on vetting candidates for the board.
What I would like to see, is them putting up who the candidates were. How do I know if there was another candidate?
However it would bring a measure of transparency to the process.
Does x person what to advertise that they nominated for the board but were unsuccessful?

Number17

All Australian
Feb 5, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GC Suns. LiverpoolFC.
Although this discussion probably belongs in a different thread, for what it’s worth I think we need to pay him mega-bucks because that’s what he’s worth and deservedly so. He’s probably going to be top 5 for the Brownlow.

Back