Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:

akiva

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2013
Israel
AFL Club
Essendon
Stringer won't play for the next 2 games minimum. Our forward line is below the average in terms of efficiency this season after topping the charts last season.

After having five players having 20 goals+ last season, four having 30 or more, this year we'd be lucky to have four and no more than 1 (Stringer) for those categories respectively, and that's without even talking about Daniher's 60 last year.
Zaka playing forward isn't going to fix it.

With Fantaisa and Stringer back, our forward line should be efficient enough (really only missing Daniher) for the last part of this season.

Zaka playing forward isn't going to fix it.

With Fantaisa and Stringer back, our forward line should be efficient enough (really only missing Daniher) for the last part of this season.
It won't fix it but it will help. Last year we had 125 goals from our KPP's. This year we'll end up with around 80.

akiva

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2013
Israel
AFL Club
Essendon
It won't fix it but it will help. Last year we had 125 goals from our KPP's. This year we'll end up with around 80.
Our goal is to win as many of the remaining games as possible (and build towards the future) not to record as many goals for our KPP as possible.
IMO, playing him predominantly in midfield is more beneficial for this year and next, for reasons I've mentioned.

coastalpipeline

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Our goal is to win as many of the remaining games as possible (and build towards the future) not to record as many goals for our KPP as possible.
IMO, playing him predominantly in midfield is more beneficial for this year and next, for reasons I've mentioned.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Its bloody exciting to be getting Zaka back soon. The midfield group has actually improved significantly since he was last playing. I think once he gets back and regains some form we could have the strongest midfield group we've had in many years. Our midfield has been a weakness for us for what seems like forever but right now its not looking all that bad.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Is he seriously coming back in without going through the VFL?
Why would he? He is one of our best midfielders.

It's not like he injured his legs and was unable to run and maintain fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Zaka is going to be a running machine this round. One of our most honest hardworking footballers and ive got no doubt that he nursed his shoulder back to health while working the treadmill.
Very happy that he's back

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm surprised he's coming straight in without a fitness primer in the VFL but hopefully it will work out OK.

Happy to have him back in the team though. It feels like forever.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I'm surprised he's coming straight in without a fitness primer in the VFL but hopefully it will work out OK.

Happy to have him back in the team though. It feels like forever.

You get players you know will absolutely domainte VFL level which won’t give him any benefits. Getting him straight into the ones was always going to happen.

More surprised to see how much of the ball he actually won

I have always questioned a lot of what he does during games but he has really been one of the senior players to turn it around. Blocks , defending and not just running past for cheap handball. Right now he is as important as anyone.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
For a bloke more known for his flashiness and front running ability this bloke has been bloody fantastic this past fortnight. All round grinding game doing the hard yards and defensive things for the team. Did not waste a possession last night. Bloody brilliant to watch

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
For a bloke more known for his flashiness and front running ability this bloke has been bloody fantastic this past fortnight. All round grinding game doing the hard yards and defensive things for the team. Did not waste a possession last night. Bloody brilliant to watch

Well that's absolutely false. He had at least 2 shockers going inside 50 last night to no-one.

However, that's my one main knock on him. His defensive attitude and mentality has come 180, and has been fantastic to watch (both the last few games before he got injured, and since he's been back). It's that sort of attitude that as a midfield, and as a team overall, we were so sorely missing in certain games early.

He played a very good game, but yeah let's not get carried away; he turned it over a couple of times, including one inside 50 that he almost inexplicably chipped straight to Allir.

To be fair, in the first half it seemed pretty clear that the team instructions were to kick it straight to Aliir.

To be fair, in the first half it seemed pretty clear that the team instructions were to kick it straight to Aliir.
You certainly could have thought so from Zaka's one (which was in the third I believe); just drilled it straight to him with no Essendon player within cooee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back