Past Champions who don't get mentioned enough in the media

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Carey was great, but the "King" nickname is partly a play on words, because it's a noun, and it makes sense.

"Kerr" isnt a noun. It makes no sense in isolation.

Wayne "King" Carey

And relax - I reckon Carey's the best so don't shoot me down for that.
Oh jesus. I thought they called him king because of his footy.

Not wayne-king (wanking)

Bloody hell im slow

Feb 8, 2012
Smith st
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United
Terry Wallace. I only remember the last of his playing career, but after watching his induction into the HOF, he seemed like a super player. Maybe because his career was spilt between clubs he gets glossed over.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Chapman
Stevie J
Joel Corey
Cameron Ling
Jimmy Bartel
James Kelly
Dane Swan
Akermanis
Nick Riewoldt

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
A couple I find never get mentioned are Chris Lewis, and Craig Bradley.

Lewis was absolutely electric. A genuine superstar of the competition.

Bradley was like Tom Mitchell. Just accumulated ridiculous numbers.

Except Bradley would run it down a wing with 4 bounces, not take a 2m backwards handball, only to run around and get the ball back again.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Chapman
Stevie J
Joel Corey
Cameron Ling
Jimmy Bartel
James Kelly
Dane Swan
Akermanis
Nick Riewoldt

LOL What?
If anything those guys get mentioned too much, especially the geelong ones.

Guys like Corey and Kelly would've been average players in a worse side.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not wayne-king (wanking)

Bloody hell im slow
Nobody except immature opposition supporters who couldnt think of anything better would call him 'wanking'
It makes very little sense.

He was king for his football skills and ability to decide 'ok, I'm going to win this match now' (unless Jackovich was on him).

Was Wayne ‘King’ better when Hird won the Brownlow? A player in the same position, in the same year won the award for the best and fairest player adjudicated by the only designated independent stakeholders in the game. Wayne ‘King’ did not even poll the most votes in his team that year.

Corey McKernan had an absolute ripper of a season, because of a unique gameplan (which, by the way, negates your claim Hird and Carey played the same position. Hird was an extra mid, basically. Carey was an anchor at half fwd).
Plus I'm fairly certain Carey's playstyle doesn't lend itself to umpire votes.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Not wayne-king (wanking)

Bloody hell im slow

They did.

I think the person you're talking to is 12 years old or is suffering from major amnesia.

T G M

Senior List
Jul 19, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Geelong
Wanganeen is a great call. Amazing player.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Corey and Chapman definitely, two of the best cats to play - tough and consistently brilliant.

BUT

Stevie J has been gone 5 minutes and I hear about how good of a tagger Cameron Ling was every Friday night.

Reckon you don't hear much about Dave Wirrpunda these days. Don't hear much about Wanganeen these days, but I don't think I saw him make a mistake for his whole career. 5 all-australian, 2 premierships, Brownlow and B&F in premiership year, B&Fs at 2 different clubs. Hearing a lot currently about how Fyfe, Danger and Dusty are once-in-a-generation players, but none of them have completed that CV yet.

Agreed on Simon Black too.

I agree with all of the above. Just a correction - I don't think Wanganeen actually won the B&F at Essendon.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
A couple I find never get mentioned are Chris Lewis, and Craig Bradley.

Lewis was absolutely electric. A genuine superstar of the competition.

Bradley was like Tom Mitchell. Just accumulated ridiculous numbers.

On Bradley, on top of his 375 games with Carlton, are 99 games with Port in the SANFL.

Games record holder conversations rarely bring this up

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
LOL What?
If anything those guys get mentioned too much, especially the geelong ones.

Guys like Corey and Kelly would've been average players in a worse side.
I remember everyone in 2010 saying that Ablett would be worse in a bad side and look how that turned out...

Aug 9, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
SF 49ers/Giants, Claremont FC
Robbie Flower. Never won a Brownlow or a flag, playing in mostly unsuccessful sides, so isn’t revered as much as he should be, damn was he a ripper player and should be mentioned along with the best midfielders of all time.

Dean Cox is another - always highly rated, but during his career and since retirement I don’t think people have fully grasped that he was one of the best ruckmen of all time. Mostly known as a Sydney assistant coach nowadays.

Few others quickly - Scott Lucas, David Neitz, Simon Black, and Mark Mercuri.

Robbie Flower. Never won a Brownlow or a flag, playing in mostly unsuccessful sides, so isn’t revered as much as he should be, damn was he a ripper player and should be mentioned along with the best midfielders of all time.

Dean Cox is another - always highly rated, but during his career and since retirement I don’t think people have fully grasped that he was one of the best ruckmen of all time. Mostly known as a Sydney assistant coach nowadays.

Few others quickly - Scott Lucas, David Neitz, Simon Black, and Mark Mercuri.
No one considers Cox “just a Sydney assistant coach”.

Almost everyone recognises him as the most dominant ruckman since at least the 80s

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Ashley McIntosh is the one that always comes to mind for me. Over his career, absolutely towelled up every gun full forward he ever played on. Haven't heard his name mentioned in the mainstream media for the better part of 15 years.

Back