Review Sydney vs Gold Coast - Rd 18, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

well done!!!!
To good,would of dropped in yesterday but ya mate keeps barring me!

I remember very well the disgraceful thing you said that got you barred and what I’d give to see you say it to my face....
Having said that credit and respect to you for showing up and saying that.

Now go back to your real profile on the Cat Board

Last edited:

Just finished watching the replay, and just noticed a couple of things.

Wil Powell should not be getting dropped after this week, he really stood up in the last quarter in a variety of little ways that made a big difference. The kid has got class and plays with character.

Charlie Ballard is going some sort of player - just can't put my finger on who I would compare him to - look a bit like Bont with the uncontested stuff. Bang! just came to me now - he's an Andrew Embley clone.

Will Brodie played OK but after watching the replay I'm not quite ready to drink the Kool-Aid yet - he is elite at getting first hands to the ball and has a big body but there is still so much of his game that needs a lot more work but I'm sure it will come in time if he is prepared to put in the work required.

Wil Powell should not be getting dropped after this week, he really stood up in the last quarter in a variety of little ways that made a big difference. The kid has got class and plays with character.

Charlie Ballard is going some sort of player - just can't put my finger on who I would compare him to - look a bit like Bont with the uncontested stuff. Bang! just came to me now - he's an Andrew Embley clone.

Will Brodie played OK but after watching the replay I'm not quite ready to drink the Kool-Aid yet - he is elite at getting first hands to the ball and has a big body but there is still so much of his game that needs a lot more work but I'm sure it will come in time if he is prepared to put in the work required.

Watching the replay is unreal

I agree about Brodie....but he IS only 19yo with only 9 games to his name....both him and steak knives "Ballard" are part of our future....I can't believe we got him for 41/42.....

Young and Holman had 17 touches each.
Brodie had 17 handpasses .
Thompson had 17 Fantasy points.
Holman spent 17% of the game on the bench.
And, contrary to the commentator's opinion, Brodie had 17 Suns players to pass it to when he was tackled and should have been pinged. Momentum changer. Mr Dew should revoke his licence to bounce. He had 2MP unmarked racing back inside 50 and Ballard coming in from the wing to pass it to, who would have put it on 2MP's chest. Actually a little surprised Touk didn't hit Wright, but it was a great goal.

Best on Ground = numba 17 Steven May

I agree about Brodie....but he IS only 19yo with only 9 games to his name....both him and steak knives "Ballard" are part of our future....I can't believe we got him for 41/42.....
Actually, he cost a bit more than that. Would you trade Lachie Weller and Charlie Ballard for any single player from the 2017 Draft Top 5? We have smashed that trade. Luke Davies-Unicorn has played 7 games for North for 5 losses, so he's actually somewhat of a disappointment. Paddy Dow has played 16 games for the Blues for 15 losses. Adam Cerra is the best of the potential pick #2 guys, but there is no way his 16 games could go close to equalling what Weller and Ballard have done and there is no future in which I see it happening.

Actually, he cost a bit more than that. Would you trade Lachie Weller and Charlie Ballard for any single player from the 2017 Draft Top 5? We have smashed that trade. Luke Davies-Unicorn has played 7 games for North for 5 losses, so he's actually somewhat of a disappointment. Paddy Dow has played 16 games for the Blues for 15 losses. Adam Cerra is the best of the potential pick #2 guys, but there is no way his 16 games could go close to equalling what Weller and Ballard have done and there is no future in which I see it happening.

I'm not sure how to read that....but then again maybe my post was confusing....i have been celebrating with quite a few scotches after all. I'm totally rapt we got Weller AND Ballard....they are going to be a BIG part of our future.....:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure how to read that....but then again maybe my post was confusing....i have been celebrating with quite a few scotches after all. I'm totally rapt we got Weller AND Ballard....they are going to be a BIG part of our future.....:thumbsu:
Translation = Weller and Ballard > Pick #2

A couple quick comments on Brodie.

Looks so much better than the did last year and early this year.

Seems to be covering a lot more ground, looking like a midfielder. Really good for someone about to turn 20.
Never been a problem with getting stuck into a contest when he is nearby. Gets right in there.
Can win the ball and try to get it out.

The last bit is the flaw with his game atm. Quite a few clangers going on coming out of the stoppage, and few missed targets elsewhere. Assuming he is working on that all the time. If he can turn a few of those clangers into good clearances then he will really be having an impact. A lot there to like.

A couple quick comments on Brodie.

Looks so much better than the did last year and early this year.

Seems to be covering a lot more ground, looking like a midfielder. Really good for someone about to turn 20.
Never been a problem with getting stuck into a contest when he is nearby. Gets right in there.
Can win the ball and try to get it out.

The last bit is the flaw with his game atm. Quite a few clangers going on coming out of the stoppage, and few missed targets elsewhere. Assuming he is working on that all the time. If he can turn a few of those clangers into good clearances then he will really be having an impact. A lot there to like.
Good summary
Never had a problem with the kid getting to where he needs to be on a footy ground but what happens after that has been concerning lol
But you'd think he's got the chops at this age to be better than Jobe Watson and maybe as good as Joey Kennedy who he looks so much like IMO
The reason I mention those 2 is because they were slow developers

Sorry for the intrusion, I come in peace.

Just wanted to say your guys played really well, took their chances and refused to fold! Excellent game especially from your youngsters!

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back