Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

dirtybizza

Debutant
May 27, 2012
shark island
AFL Club
Richmond
His confidence is obviously at rock bottom. Not out of disrespect to George but i believe dropping him for a week to build his confidence in the 2s is a good idea. Love his game, however mentally he just isn't there right now.

qldtiger1

Senior List
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
His confidence is obviously at rock bottom. Not out of disrespect to George but i believe dropping him for a week to build his confidence in the 2s is a good idea. Love his game, however mentally he just isn't there right now.

His inability to stay calm in the moment will eventually COST US !!!

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
His inability to stay calm in the moment will eventually COST US !!!

will kick for goal after the siren in the grand final and get us the win

will be the most glorious moment in richmondfc history and i'll never watch footy again after it happens

can't afford to drop him and risk this not happening

TiggerDK

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Set shots with drop punt = poor.
Set shot banana kicks = poor.
Nothing to do with calmness.
In open play with ball in hand he is poor, kicking OR handballing.
Has speed and knows where to run...whoopdidoo if you’re going to butcher it half the time when you get it inside 50?
“Plays better with Butler” is just another excuse. Nothing like the Lambo/Prestia scenario IMO.
Will not improve.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Set shots with drop punt = poor.
Set shot banana kicks = poor.
Nothing to do with calmness.
In open play with ball in hand he is poor, kicking OR handballing.
Has speed and knows where to run...whoopdidoo if you’re going to butcher it half the time when you get it inside 50?
“Plays better with Butler” is just another excuse. Nothing like the Lambo/Prestia scenario IMO.
Will not improve.

wont even make the prelim if we drop him

guarantee it

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
He'll get way more leeway for his yips than other players because he works harder than most and creates opportunities even when he doesn't have the ball. Very important part of our set up and really hoping he gets through this current slump.
The thing is Towno was doing all those things and more and look what they did! You cant do it to one player and forgive another whom in fact has been poor all season bar one game.

El Tigre

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2010
Deutchland
AFL Club
Richmond
The great dilemna, to drop or not to drop, that is the question. Whether its is nobler for his mind..... anyways... it is a hard one. Against GWS, he just didnt convert. But against the Aints, he was struggling to find it. But with Butler out, we are already down on a bit of defensive speed. Putting Stengle in and taking georgie out takes away a bit more. Not to mention Georgies usual contested marking ability. But with Stengles form, its hard not to ignore bringing him in.

Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
He's been like this for a month, we should have dropped him before the st.kilda game and i feel sorry for Stengle who earned a spot.

May 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
None of the players we are talking about will be the difference in 2018. George has glaring weaknesses, as do Stengle, Butler and Bolton.

Team selection is about minimising disruption at this stage of the season. Swapping George for another flawed player makes little sense. As long as his work rate remains high, then I expect them to keep playing him. Watch the boys get around him when he kicks a goal against the Pies - his form slump might end very quickly.

Go Tigers!

Dave P.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t keep carrying guys out of form when we have players in the twos performing and could take that spot

I’m a massive fan of castagna and on form he deserves his spot in the side. But his form has been poor for a number of weeks now. A run in the twos could be the best thing for him. I’d give him one more week and if he doesn’t turn it around then he should be dropped

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
None of the players we are talking about will be the difference in 2018. George has glaring weaknesses, as do Stengle, Butler and Bolton.

Team selection is about minimising disruption at this stage of the season. Swapping George for another flawed player makes little sense. As long as his work rate remains high, then I expect them to keep playing him. Watch the boys get around him when he kicks a goal against the Pies - his form slump might end very quickly.

Go Tigers!

Dave P.

Agree.

Although everyone on here is up and about on Stengle, you probably find he doesn't have the same repeat sprint ability as George and all of a sudden we can't open teams up as much.

I wouldn't be dropping him this late in the season, however long term they need to be looking at a replacement.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
7 (8) contested disp, 300 (287) meters, 3 (3) marks, 8 (8) involvements , 3 (2) marks 2 (2) tackles, 5 behinds (3.1) 25 (23) pressure acts, 64 (68) SC. Shame he was wayward with his shots on goal. Exclude the waywardness, not sure why everyone said he had a s**t game, and in brackets is Riolis stats for the same game, the extra 3 goals is all that separates the two.

George had a good game, Dimma even said it in the presser.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
7 (8) contested disp, 300 (287) meters, 3 (3) marks, 8 (8) involvements , 3 (2) marks 2 (2) tackles, 5 behinds (3.1) 25 (23) pressure acts, 64 (68) SC. Shame he was wayward with his shots on goal. Exclude the waywardness, not sure why everyone said he had a s**t game, and in brackets is Riolis stats for the same game, the extra 3 goals is all that separates the two.

George had a good game, Dimma even said it in the presser.
And then followed it up with a WOG effort against the Saints
Deserves to be dropped

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Agree going no were.Only last couple of weeks been down ,but his season so far has been very good improved alot.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Dropped after one bad game against a s**t opposition and possibly miss a flag? Jayden Short come on down.

Should add, do we bring in a a new policy where the WOG is automatically dropped ?
Its not one bad game, his form has been poor since he had his knee injury

He's been goalless in the last 4 games and his tackle count is only 1 or sometimes 2 per game

Last edited:

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Should be dropped... not fair on other players who have been dropped when there form isn't up to it.
Kicking and footy smarts are deplorable ATM

Back