Tasmania ? Advantages for the AFL if Tassie gets a team.

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Assume Tasmania has a team in the AFL..? What are the positives for the AFL......only interested in the positives...

1) Raises profile of the AFL and therefore(in effect) all clubs by having another Australian state represented in the AFL competition.

2) 19 teams allows for a continues bye... 9 matches a round with one team having a bye. ie. No rounds with reduced matches.

3) A 19 team comp also allows for regular Thursday night matches.

4) North and Hawthorn play more matches in Melbourne...therefore increase use of Etihaad which AFL now own.

....would be interested in others opinions...

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gives young Tasmanians are real pathway to play at the elite level.

Give Tasmanians there own team and for them to fully harness there passion and love for Australian Rules Football

Fully makes the game a national competition.

Agree with above in terms of Tassie itself but I am asking what the AFL gets out of it. Yes it is closer to a fully national comp. but NT still not included.

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
Finally get a team in the AFL wearing green.

I would like to see Tasmania get their own team, but the entire state needs to embrace it regardless of it being based in Hobart or Launceston etc.

With presumably more games in Melbourne, could grow the push for a 3rd venue in Melbourne.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Footy is played year round in NT....but interested in your views re whats the advantage for AFL in having a stand alone Tassie team ?
Actually played in the west season apart from NT Thunder. It's one thing for a group of acclimatised players. Quite another for teams coming out if the southern winter.

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Actually played in the west season apart from NT Thunder. It's one thing for a group of acclimatised players. Quite another for teams coming out if the southern winter.

That's great though..escape Melbourne winter and great home ground advantage for NT. Once again would prefer to be on topic..? Advantages for AFL if Tassie gets a team...

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Assume Tasmania has a team in the AFL..? What are the positives for the AFL......only interested in the positives...

1) Raises profile of the AFL and therefore(in effect) all clubs by having another Australian state represented in the AFL competition.

2) 19 teams allows for a continues bye... 9 matches a round with one team having a bye. ie. No rounds with reduced matches.

3) A 19 team comp also allows for regular Thursday night matches.

4) North and Hawthorn play more matches in Melbourne...therefore increase use of Etihaad which AFL now own.

....would be interested in others opinions...

I enjoy all of these.

Could allow for 2 byes for teams during a season which the players push for too.

I believe a Tassie team will have no problem finding supporters as well. There were still quite a few people who change teams to Gold Coast and GWS when they came into the competition. People are going to be FAR more inclined to change to a team like Tassie, who i'm sure everyone is going to adopt as their second favourite quite quickly.

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I enjoy all of these.

Could allow for 2 byes for teams during a season which the players push for too.

I believe a Tassie team will have no problem finding supporters as well. There were still quite a few people who change teams to Gold Coast and GWS when they came into the competition. People are going to be FAR more inclined to change to a team like Tassie, who i'm sure everyone is going to adopt as their second favourite quite quickly.
Thanks Blackhawk... I think there is massive potential for the AFL in getting a Tassie team, byes, Thursday nite footy and simply the game is closer to being truly National..Tassie would have a totally passionate supporter base... also automatic massive rivalries with Hawks and North

Mathematically impossible. 23 rounds of 9 matches gets you 207 matches all up, which is two short. Bit of a problem unless you want four teams to only play 21 games.

This isn't necessarily accurate either, it entirely depends on how much more the AFL want to jerry-rig the fixture. Not worth going into the mechanics of it because the value of more games in Melbourne is a debatable topic to begin with.

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for your input... 19 clubs x 11 is 209 games over 23 weeks... so inevitably there would be a staggering of some matches but basically you would have matches most Thursday nights and then by the time you have Queens Birthday/ Easter Monday etc the extra team frees up the chance to spread the round over a broader no. of days thru the week. Each of the 19 clubs plays 22 matches for the season.

2nd point.... The AFL originally invested in Docklands and ultimately bought it with a view to ensure the viability of the competition. If they can’t make it work for the financial benefit of the constituent clubs somebody has made a gross miscalculation.... and there would be no logic in purchasing the venue.

2nd point.... The AFL originally invested in Docklands and ultimately bought it with a view to ensure the viability of the competition. If they can’t make it work for the financial benefit of the constituent clubs somebody has made a gross miscalculation.... and there would be no logic in purchasing the venue.
I don't want to get into the ownership hows and whys of Docklands Stadium right now, I'm just pointing out that the AFL can already fixture more games there if they so desired. It wouldn't take the formation of a Tasmanian club to allow it to happen, that actually might make it more difficult.

Hi speedpeck23,
From an AFL perspective the first question is - will a Tasmanian Club be financially viable assuming that GC continues to require considerable
financial support? The current Hawthorn/North Melbourne arrangement is heavily subsidised by the Tassie govt which is well offset by
increased tourist dollars. A Tassie team would not have the equivalent Hawthorn/North Melbourne supporters travelling to Launceston
and Hobart plus would the Tassie Govt continue to financially support the local Club.

If these hurdles were to be overcome then the benefit to the AFL would be a more genuine national competition. If the GC is assessed
as a failure then NT may be a possible relocation OR a combined GC/NT Club, with GWS having a presence in ACT.

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi speedpeck23,
From an AFL perspective the first question is - will a Tasmanian Club be financially viable assuming that GC continues to require considerable
financial support? The current Hawthorn/North Melbourne arrangement is heavily subsidised by the Tassie govt which is well offset by
increased tourist dollars. A Tassie team would not have the equivalent Hawthorn/North Melbourne supporters travelling to Launceston
and Hobart plus would the Tassie Govt continue to financially support the local Club.

If these hurdles were to be overcome then the benefit to the AFL would be a more genuine national competition. If the GC is assessed
as a failure then NT may be a possible relocation OR a combined GC/NT Club, with GWS having a presence in ACT.

Agree... yes that is the question I am trying to get people to discuss... How can a Tassie team be Nett contributor to the AFL.?.... otherwise the AFL won’t take it on. In my opinion more people will travel to Tassie if they have their own team.

Currently there are 9 teams traveling yearly to Tassie..including Hawthorn and North several times. A Tassie team would 11 teams coming to Tassie yearly.... with a different mix each year.

As a keen Hawks supporter have been 3 times in 20 years to see a match... from my discussions with fellow supporters over many years very few people would travel down for each game.... so I think there would be no loss of tourists if there was a broader spread of clubs coming to Tas.

Agree with you though regarding Tas. Govt spending on a team.... a mechanism would need to be created so that Govt maintained financial support to the AFL. The real money spinner for the AFL may be regular Thursday night matches which would be achievable with a 19th AFL Club. The AFL image also would be enhanced significantly by having a Tassie team..... how you measure this on a commercial basis is hard to say.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The advantages to the AFL for a Tas. AFL team are very obvious: Restore the Tas. VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine. The VFL/AFL carpetbaggers have almost destroyed it.
The AFL is paying now a MASSIVE (in economic terms alone) Opportunity Cost for not having players of this quality regularly coming out of Tas. A significant part of the VFL/AFL's "glory, status, and mythology" derives from Tas. -imagine how poorer the premier competition would be without these players:-

T. Johnson, Baldock, Howell, Stewart, Lawrence, Bonney, Hart, P.Jones, Sproule, Hudson,Walker, Croswell, Greening, M.Armstrong, Sutton, Pritchard,Wright, Eade, Cresswell, Conlan, Neal, C Robertson, Rob Shaw, McCarthy, Clayton, P. Williams,A Fletcher, B & J Rawlings, Atkins, B & M Gale, N.Holland, Lynch, Roach, Barwick, M.Richardson, R.Robertson,, B.Greene, N & J Riewoldt, M Robinson, B.Brown, J. Howe, Birchall.

G.Lyon & Neitz were also born in Tas. Many historians say L.Nash was the greatest player to have ever played (only player to regularly do torps on his non-preferred left foot, and sideways- arm perpendicular- hangers. Kicked 18 goals in a State game against SA).

AFL recruitment from Tas has virtually dried up -and we are not getting the champions we once did. In 1986, amazingly, 14 Tasmanians were drafted!

Another advantage of a Tas. AFL team is that the AFL would probably want not a bye -so a 20th team would be needed. This extra game pw would bring in extra, very valuable broadcasting Rights -particularly if there was a permanent Thursday night game.

I suspect the 20th team would come from NSW or Qld., which would greatly help promote AF where 52% of the population live. Thus, a Tas. team would help the AF "spread the gospel".

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The advantages for a Tas. AFL team are very obvious: Restore the Tas. VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine -the carpetbaggers have almost destroyed it.
The AFL is paying now a MASSIVE (in economic terms alone) Opportunity Cost for not having players of this quality regularly comin g out of Tas.

T. Johnson, Baldock, Howell, Stewart, Lawrence, Bonney, Hart, P.Jones, Sproule, Hudson,Walker, Croswell, M.Armstrong, Sutton, Pritchard,Wright, Eade, Greening, Cresswell, Conlan, Neal, C Robertson, R.Shaw, McCarthy, Clayton, P. Williams,A Fletcher, B & J Rawlings, Atkins, B & M Gale, N.Holland, Lynch, Roach, Barwick, M.Richardson, R.Robertson,, B.Greene, N & J Riewoldt, M Robinson, B.Brown, J. Howe, Birchall.

G.Lyon & Neitz were also born in Tas.

AFL recruitment from Tas has virtually dried up -and we are not getting the champions we once did. In 1986, 14 Tasmanians were drafted.

Another advantage of a Tas. AFL team is that the AFL would probably want not a bye -so a 20th team would be needed. This extra game pw would bring in extra, very valuable broadcasting Rights -particularly if there was a permanent Thursday night game.

I suspect the 20th team would come from NSW or Qld., which would greatly help promote AF where 52% of the population live. Thus, a Tas. team would help the AF "spread the gospel".

ACT so the Giants concentrate on Western Sydney?

Back