Damian Barrett

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrett is everything that is wrong with the Football media right now.

He is all ambition and no ability. He has basically carved out an extremely successful career by being the guy who makes the most phone calls - i.e he is the guy who is willing to do the stuff that people with a conscience(and a brain) can't.

And now he is in a very prominent position, his employer turns a blind eye while he runs a massive agenda of muck racking and squares ups with people who have called him out for the flog he is.

Barrett is everything that is wrong with the Football media right now.

He is all ambition and no ability. He has basically carved out an extremely successful career by being the guy who makes the most phone calls - i.e he is the guy who is willing to do the stuff that people with a conscience(and a brain) can't.

And now he is in a very prominent position, his employer turns a blind eye while he runs a massive agenda of muck racking and squares ups with people who have called him out for the flog he is.
I'm not sure that "making phone calls" is below the belt. That's pretty standard.

I think he carved out a niche for himself as the guy who covered all the off-field stuff before that became almost as big as the on-field stuff. And he's been able to cash in on that as the interest in that part of the game has expanded, despite being not very articulate or engaging. And being a s**t writer.

The way the AFL promotes his stuff is laughable. They just tag it as "Barrett", like he's some hotshot truth-teller. Nah you don't need to know his first name – it's just Barrett. That's how authoritative this guy is. You know who he is.

The Sliding Doors column is a complete dog's breakfast. I reckon you could go to any undergraduate journalism class in the country and find a 20-year-old to bash out something just as insightful for the price of a coffee.

Last edited:
His relentless demonising of Tom Boyd since 2014 (while Boyd has been going through hell with his mental health) has shown him up as nothing but a gutless troll.
I can't stand Barrett but should he stop pointing out how a player is not living up to their huge contract just because they have mental issues?

I can't stand Barrett but should he stop pointing out how a player is not living up to their huge contract just because they have mental issues?

The contract details are none of his business, but he keeps banging on about it. It's relentless and it's ******* boring.

As far as I'm concerned Tom paid for himself in the final two weeks of 2016. End of story.

The contract details are none of his business, but he keeps banging on about it. It's relentless and it's ******* boring.

As far as I'm concerned Tom paid for himself in the final two weeks of 2016. End of story.
But you have to agree the contract terms are an important part of the issue and is why players are judged more harshly. So is their draft positions and unfortunately for Tom he was a number 1 draft pick on ridiculous money who other than 3-4 weeks has been below par.

So because he has mental issues should he be treated to another player who is in the same position but doesn't have mental issues?

But you have to agree the contract terms are an important part of the issue and is why players are judged more harshly. So is their draft positions and unfortunately for Tom he was a number 1 draft pick on ridiculous money who other than 3-4 weeks has been below par.

So because he has mental issues should he be treated to another player who is in the same position but doesn't have mental issues?
No player should be treated that way full stop.

Clearly, drafting is an extremely inexact science and there’s no way to predict if a player will or will not live up to their promise as a junior player.

Dogs took a punt, and depending upon who you ask, it either has or hasn’t paid off.

Purely because they took that punt, it doesn’t justify the behaviour of Barrett constantly hounding him in about 70 percent of his columns for the past three years.

There’s plenty of other players who have made high-profile moves - Cam McCarthy springs to mind - who arguably haven’t delivered on the investment, yet they haven’t endured the same level of antagonism from Barrett, even though Boyd played a major role in delivering a flag for the Bulldogs.

Obviously, Barrett has an axe to grind with Beveridge and the Dogs at large, and for some reason, he’s singled out Boyd week after week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No player should be treated that way full stop.

Clearly, drafting is an extremely inexact science and there’s no way to predict if a player will or will not live up to their promise as a junior player.

Dogs took a punt, and depending upon who you ask, it either has or hasn’t paid off.

Purely because they took that punt, it doesn’t justify the behaviour of Barrett constantly hounding him in about 70 percent of his columns for the past three years.

There’s plenty of other players who have made high-profile moves - Cam McCarthy springs to mind - who arguably haven’t delivered on the investment, yet they haven’t endured the same level of antagonism from Barrett, even though Boyd played a major role in delivering a flag for the Bulldogs.

Obviously, Barrett has an axe to grind with Beveridge and the Dogs at large, and for some reason, he’s singled out Boyd week after week.
Rightly or wrongly Cam McCarthy isn't on a million dollars

So you must be outraged everytime Jack Watts is mentioned then? He has copped 10 times the criticism that Boyd has or Vickery?

Other players have copped alot more than Boyd in the media

Rightly or wrongly Cam McCarthy isn't on a million dollars

So you must be outraged everytime Jack Watts is mentioned then? He has copped 10 times the criticism that Boyd has or Vickery?

Other players have copped alot more than Boyd in the media
I think the way Watts was treated was a disgrace, yes.

And we’re purely discussing Barrett here - name one other player that he’s targeted as much in the past few years.

I think the way Watts was treated was a disgrace, yes.

And we’re purely discussing Barrett here - name one other player that he’s targeted as much in the past few years.
I honestly don't pay enough attention to him to be able to point out another player without guessing

I work as a journalist (editor position) in Melbourne, not covering AFL. I have absolutely no professional respect for Barrett, if that’s worth anything.
Me too. Work as a newspaper journalist and editor at a small country paper.
I have zero respect for him at all.

Clearly you're the same as Barrett. Heartless.

What the Dogs chose to pay Boyd is none of Barrett's business. There's a fascination with some journo about salaries, but I couldn't give a stuff and I bet I'm not alone there.

Bevo hates Barrett and Barrett has taken out his vendetta on Boyd because let's face it, he's a cowardly p****.

Clearly you're the same as Barrett. Heartless.

What the Dogs chose to pay Boyd is none of Barrett's business. There's a fascination with some journo about salaries, but I couldn't give a stuff and I bet I'm not alone there.

Bevo hates Barrett and Barrett has taken out his vendetta on Boyd because let's face it, he's a cowardly p****.

lol. The funniest part is all these doggies supporters are up in arms. Leave Tom alone, stop bullying, I dont care about salaries ext.

But I bet you if Boyd played for another team you would not give a *.

Now before you try to have another go at me, I never said I agree with Barrett. However just because you have depression it should not exempt you from criticism because it sure as hell doesnt exempt you from praise

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

lol. The funniest part is all these doggies supporters are up in arms. Leave Tom alone, stop bullying, I dont care about salaries ext.

But I bet you if Boyd played for another team you would not give a ****.

Now before you try to have another go at me, I never said I agree with Barrett. However just because you have depression it should not exempt you from criticism because it sure as hell doesnt exempt you from praise

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Relentlessly attacking a 20 year old who he knew was suffering depression just shows how gutless and heartless a human being he is.

Relentlessly attacking a 20 year old who he knew was suffering depression just shows how gutless and heartless a human being he is.
Boyd is 23 in a months time so no one knew he had depression until 12 months ago.

So my original point stands. A player with depression should be exempt of criticism?

Has anyone mentioned how much of a ******* Barrett is?

Blokes like Ralphy, Robbo etc give you the shits from time to time but there is nobody more hateable in the media than this Purple headed flog. Bevo should have flushed him down the dunny at Crown a few years back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back