Portfolio caloschwaby's Designs

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all, hope you're having a good Christmas/New Years break.

Coming up on January 17 is my one year anniversary of joining BigFooty. Over the course of the year I joined a few competitions, namely the CAN-AM Premiership and the ongoing T20A (in which I achieved a Qualifying Final spot).

Although it was my first year, looking back I can't help but think about how much I could've added (or omitted) to make these designs better. Through this trial and error, I've learnt a fair bit about what makes a design good or bad, at least at my level.

Now, on to the portfolio...

CAN-AM Premiership - CLEVELAND KINGS (formerly Cleveland Cannons)

Thinking about how my designs could've been much better, I've decided to start from ground-zero and give my CAN-AM team a face lift and a half. Unbeknownst to me, there is actually a USAFL team in Cleveland called... the Cannons (I initially called them the Cannons based on the Calder Cannons). Upon this realisation it was better for me just to rebrand.
Here's a few variations of the concept banner for the CLEVELAND KINGS with a logo to give an idea of what it's looking like so far.

logo full faded yellow {cream}.jpg

logo full yellow text.jpg

I have two competing palettes right now as you can see with the two designs. I'd love to have some feedback and see what you guys think, but I love the creamish-yellow shade.

As for a guernsey...

Uniform {bridges} Concept.jpg

This is obviously extremely rough, but it's there to provide the concept. With the regular yellow it gives off a Gold Coast-vibe so I'm liking how the cream yellow differentiates it. Almost looks like the 49ers...

The arcs going across the design are conceptual at this stage. Thought about putting "KINGS" inside, but that could be a big too basic. They are currently a reference to the many bridges of Ohio.

Thank you all for reading so far. I will continue to post to this portfolio with any concepts or full designs I come up with in the future.

FEEDBACK ON ANYTHING WOULD BE AWESOME - Constructive criticism even better.

I'd just like to thank everyone on FJGD for making this first year a great one!

Last edited:
Hi all.
With CAN-AM 2018 coming up soon I've been hard at work on a few concepts for my Toronto Sixers franchise and it's CAN-AM 2 team, the Hamilton Hexas.

Here's what I've come up with so far for my Toronto Sixers away and home, respectively:

(ignore back of jumpers as I tend to do them after I've figured the front)

6ers Away.jpg

6ers Home.jpg

And here's my concept for my CAN-AM 2 team, the Hamilton Hexas:

Uniform Concept 2.jpg

In case I haven't made it clear enough, these are just concepts so obviously a work in progress.

After relocating/rebranding from last season (which was my first ever comp team) I have really wanted to make a bigger impact with my designs. However, with my CAN-AM team I've found myself with serious mental block as to where to do from here.
I've tried to incorporate hexagons as much as possible as to make them the central symbol of the spirit of my team.

Any feedback on my work so far would be very much appreciated! :D

Last edited:
As we close in on the start of CAN-AM 2018, I'd like to share a few of my early concepts for my Toronto 6ers franchise. Hopefully it may inspire someone else for one of their own designs.

Hexas.jpg

(I call this one the aqua man)
Uniform Concept 1.jpg

(This is probably the one that led me to my current design)
Uniform Concept 2.jpg

(I have plans for this concept. Might be using it in a portfolio in the future)
Uniform Concept 6ers.jpg

Uniform Concept.jpg

Hmm not sure of orange + red + white, with the white being the issue.

Care to elaborate Mr. Turncoat?

You know we're on the same team right?

Anyway, I dunno, maybe the contrast of red + orange with white just doesn't work for my eyes. I can't explain it coherently, it just seems a little off. Maybe a slightly darker red and a slightly lighter orange? Just to add a bit more contrast.

You know we're on the same team right?

Anyway, I dunno, maybe the contrast of red + orange with white just doesn't work for my eyes. I can't explain it coherently, it just seems a little off. Maybe a slightly darker red and a slightly lighter orange? Just to add a bit more contrast.
That's a fair point. I'll have a play around with the shades of red/orange to find a good contrast.

(Nothing wrong with in-team banter :D)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dig it, but maybe turn it upside down as sort of an "up and away" sort of thing.
I was thinking of it being the flame from the engine of the rocket but I'll give it a shot :)

Howdy all,
To ensure my designs are unique from others I've decided to create a brand new manufacturing label called CALO TAILORED SPORTS. This will be featured on all my competition and portfolio entries so feel free to let me know what you think :)

CTS LOGO BACKGROUND.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy all,
To ensure my designs are unique from others I've decided to create a brand new manufacturing label called CALO. This will be featured on all my competition and portfolio entries so feel free to let me know what you think :)

View attachment 532264

It is a good start but there are the issues I can see with it;

- The brand is called CALO, but the logo has no mention of this.
- The curvature of the C and the sharpness of the S doesn't really work together.
- I am guessing the middle letter is a T. If so it is a little lost in the design.
- I am concerned that the logo may not scale well.

- The brand is called CALO, but the logo has no mention of this.
Sorry I just forgot to type the rest. It's called "CALO TAILORED SPORTS" :rolleyes:
As for all your other points I do somewhat agree and will make amends whenever I have time.

Howdy all,
To ensure my designs are unique from others I've decided to create a brand new manufacturing label called CALO TAILORED SPORTS. This will be featured on all my competition and portfolio entries so feel free to let me know what you think :)

View attachment 532264
*Sees first 2 letters*
Man's been trying to get a physical copy of Crash Team Racing without costing an arm and a leg and I've smashed out the PS3 digital version and this:handpointdown: comes out of pure instinct. Sorry Calo :tearsofjoy:
calo-CTR.png

*Sees first 2 letters*
Man's been trying to get a physical copy of Crash Team Racing without costing an arm and a leg and I've smashed out the PS3 digital version and this:handpointdown: comes out of pure instinct. Sorry Calo :tearsofjoy:
View attachment 532470
Aw, Shucks. The most irritating part is that I've never heard of/played the game, let alone seen it before. I think I'll have another go at it to make it unique.
magpienato can testify that I had shown him a drawn concept of it almost a week ago now :) He even helped me use the pen tool to get the right curve for the "C".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back