What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Schache will be a very good forward when the delivery improves. He is presenting very well and getting his hands on the ball quite often.
He has always had the skills and the footy iq, its just be the mental side of the game he struggles with. I really hope he manages to turn it round and show what he can do

That being 4-2 against teams in this years 8 has more significance than our record against last years top 8. Btw where are those flogs crapping on about that earlier this year? Lol

The following matches this season should be used to officially trial the most likely proposed changes next season as long as clubs and players involved happy to be the guinea pigs.

Round 16
Lions v Carlton

Round 17
Saints v Carlton

Round 19
Gold Coast v Carlton

Round 20
Saints v Dogs

Round 21
Fremantle v Carlton

Round 22
Carlton v Dogs
Gold Coast v Lions

1) Starting positions after centre square ball up for start of each quarter and after a goal
2) 18 metre kick out rectangular markings from goal posts
3) 30 interchanges maximum per team

Guess they heard me from about 6 weeks ago.

Sorry FF78.
Don't need to be sorry for not liking it. I put it here about 6 weeks ago in unpopular thread as I knew it would be unpopular. :p
I am just glad they thinking about it. Rather see these proposals trialled in a real game as we can all learn so much to see how some of it would play out in real games with no harm done to finals qualifying etc. The upside to trial before end of season is a great opportunity if they do what I suggested. But I did qualify the suggestion that the clubs involved would need to agree to want to do it. If they do not want to, AFL not going to force clubs to trial things they do not want to. Just so you know, in 1971 season they trialled an enlarged square in Carlton v Fitzroy game at Princes Park. The centre square we have now came along for all games, 4 years later.

Rather see these proposals trialled in a real game as we can all learn so much to see how some of it would play out in real games with no harm done to finals qualifying etc.
If they care about overseas perception, this makes the AFL look rather amateur. But that's just another thing in a long list.
Just so you know, in 1971 season they trialled an enlarged square in Carlton v Fitzroy game at Princes Park.
Aye. Back when the VFL was a semi-pro competition.

Bradon Ellis' tribute to Eurydice Dixon was tacky. From what I've gathered hearing and reading about it, they weren't really friends. It's akin to a person you went to high school with and never really hung out with dying almost a decade after graduation. I reckon he's milking it to improve his image after his character reference bullshit in court. Same as how Jake King did all the work for disabled kids. I reckon he was just trying to prove to the world that he wasn't a s**t bloke, which is obviously false.

Calling players by their nicknames is really cringeworthy. Of course there's exceptions like 'Buddy' Franklin and 'Tex' Walker but most of the time it comes across as trying to act like you personally know the player in question or you're emotionally tied to them somehow. Just call them by their surname or full name.

Another embarrassing one related to BigFooty posting is going on to another team's board and congratulating them on a win or offering commiserations for a loss. It just screams "me, me, me!".
Cousin used to play with Ellis at TAC cup and says he's a flog. Didn't help his mate who bashed a pensioner stay out of jail by wriiting some bs character report

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they care about overseas perception, this makes the AFL look rather amateur.
Unpopular opinion warning.
Only care what we do with our game.
I think it makes us look innovative like we did with World Series Cricket.
Night SuperTests played in late 70's here. Taken the rest of world over three decades to catch on...
The unknown scares people. If new ideas were not tried we would all be riding horses and carts and too scared to invent things that lead to trains, planes, cars and ships.

Unpopular opinion warning.
I'll pay that.
Night SuperTests played in late 70's here. Taken the rest of world over three decades to catch on...
Were great, but not a rule change in the middle of a competition. If you're changing and trialling new rules in the middle of the competition you tread the path that lets Dumbledore give the house cup to Gryffindor.

It is not the middle. It is at the back end for teams out of the race for the title of the competition and only if they both agree to want to play the match under such conditions.

Don't need to be sorry for not liking it. I put it here about 6 weeks ago in unpopular thread as I knew it would be unpopular. :p
I am just glad they thinking about it. Rather see these proposals trialled in a real game as we can all learn so much to see how some of it would play out in real games with no harm done to finals qualifying etc. The upside to trial before end of season is a great opportunity if they do what I suggested. But I did qualify the suggestion that the clubs involved would need to agree to want to do it. If they do not want to, AFL not going to force clubs to trial things they do not want to. Just so you know, in 1971 season they trialled an enlarged square in Carlton v Fitzroy game at Princes Park. The centre square we have now came along for all games, 4 years later.
That '71 reference is interesting.

And, for the record, I am as curious as anyone to see how this plays out. I will definitely watch the game (but then I was looking forward to AFLX and I was a bit flat after the experience). but what happens next years at this point in the fixture?.

Urgh. What does it matter. I have no faith in the professional lanyard wearers that are currently overseeing the demise of our once great sport, I should expect no more.

That '71 reference is interesting.

And, for the record, I am as curious as anyone to see how this plays out. I will definitely watch the game (but then I was looking forward to AFLX and I was a bit flat after the experience). but what happens next years at this point in the fixture?.

AFLX was s**t.
Next year we have Charlie on 80 goals for season at this point and Docherty favourite for the Brownlow Medal and Lukosiais a lock for Rising Star :p

Bradon Ellis' tribute to Eurydice Dixon was tacky. From what I've gathered hearing and reading about it, they weren't really friends.

Wouldn't most people who paid tribute, or acknowleged her passing, have never even met her?

I would also say most tributes or acknowlegements were/are not about personally knowing her, but about recognising the unfortunate and wrong circumstances of their passing, and recognising how easily the same thing could happen to someone you know, unless people's mindset and attitudes change.

It is not the middle. It is at the back end for teams out of the race for the title of the competition and only if they both agree to want to play the match under such conditions.
No real sport let's clubs decide what rules they want to play under.

Did you see the AFL is now talking about cutting lists and coaches to contain costs.

They should combine theses 2 things. Some games apparently do not matter, the AFL is trying to cut costs, the AFL wants fewer s**t games. So just don't play them.

Instead of playing an irrelevant game between 2 s**t teams to different rules, just don't play the game. Go to the pub. Probably not a good look for a pro sport, but not really worse than ******* with the rules mid season, and much much cheaper.

After all, clubs that * around with late season irrelevant games face allegations of draft tinkering, but altering rules, which may affect outcomes, and therefore draft order is ok?

Just don't play t

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

No real sport let's clubs decide what rules they want to play under.

Did you see the AFL is now talking about cutting lists and coaches to contain costs.
Our games has. In fact the guy invented was playing and umpire in same game he devising rules. Our game is unique. What the rest of world does, could not give a flying *, I love our sport, no others.

Yeah, seen the talk about cutting lists. Gil can * that idea right off. Less coaches. Could not give a flying *, the less coaches the better. The players are the ones playing the game.

Our games has. In fact the guy invented was playing and umpire in same game he devising rules. Our game is unique. What the rest of world does, could not give a flying ****, I love our sport, no others.

Yeah, seen the talk about cutting lists. Gil can **** that idea right off. Less coaches. Could not give a flying ****, the less coaches the better. The players are the ones playing the game.
Really, that's your argument? A guy in the 1800s, basically playing a made up sport with his mates is making up rules on the fly, so this validates a billion dollar pro sport with an established rule book, and professional contracts doing the same?

Is this sarcasm, tongue in cheek? It reads as genuine, but I am having some trouble buying that.

Really, that's your argument? A guy in the 1800s, basically playing a made up sport with his mates is making up rules on the fly, so this validates a billion dollar pro sport with an established rule book, and professional contracts doing the same?

Is this sarcasm, tongue in cheek? It reads as genuine, but I am having some trouble buying that.
Unpopular opinion propagated... ;)
Could not give a s**t about any of that stuff. Just want to see proposed rules trialled in a real game. So much to be gained doing it in coming weeks. Bring it on. Unpopular or not it would be great to see what happens in those games. * the rest of the sports in the world what they do. Unpopular, cry me a river. We invented our own sport. Do the ******* thing our own way.
* yeah!!!

Unpopular opinion propagated... ;)
Could not give a s**t about any of that stuff. Just want to see proposed rules trialled in a real game. So much to be gained doing it in coming weeks. Bring it on. Unpopular or not it would be great to see what happens in those games. **** the rest of the sports in the world what they do. Unpopular, cry me a river. We invented our own sport. Do the ******* thing our own way.
**** yeah!!!
The up side is, if the rules are trialled by crap teams, we are highly likely to get a crap game, it's generally how these things work. Hopefully that kills of the whole thing, and if we are really lucky, Hockings career with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back