Under Age AFL U15s and U16s

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering WA U/16s won last year and this year's WA U/16s should of won it, be interesting to see how good the WA U/18 team will be next year...tho U/16 success doesn't always transition into U/18 success

U16 All-Australian side's been named.

Defenders: Brandon Walker (WA), Denver Granger-Barras (WA), Sam Collins (Tas), Braeden Campbell (NSW-ACT), Ethan Baxter (Vic Country), Jye Sinderberry (SA)

Midfield: Riley Thilthorpe (SA), Will Phillips (Vic Metro), Tanner Bruhn (Vic Country), Luke Edwards (SA), Zane Trew (WA), Corey Durdin (SA)

Forwards: Elijah Hollands (Vic Country), Kaine Baldwin (SA), Errol Gulden (NSW-ACT), Taj Schofield (WA), Logan McDonald (WA), Jackson Callow (Tas)

Interchange: Alex Davies (Qld), Nathan O'Driscoll (WA), Oliver Davis (Tas), Malcolm Rosas (NT), Campbell Edwardes (Vic Metro)

Coach: Julian Farkas (SA)
Assistant coach: Nathan Warren (Tas)

Courtesy of the AFL website.

Defenders: Brandon Walker (WA), Denver Granger-Barras (WA), Sam Collins (Tas), Braeden Campbell (NSW-ACT), Ethan Baxter (Vic Country), Jye Sinderberry (SA)

Midfield: Riley Thilthorpe (SA), Will Phillips (Vic Metro), Tanner Bruhn (Vic Country), Luke Edwards (SA), Zane Trew (WA), Corey Durdin (SA)

Forwards: Elijah Hollands (Vic Country), Kaine Baldwin (SA), Errol Gulden (NSW-ACT), Taj Schofield (WA), Logan McDonald (WA), Jackson Callow (Tas)

Interchange: Alex Davies (Qld), Nathan O'Driscoll (WA), Oliver Davis (Tas), Malcolm Rosas (NT), Campbell Edwardes (Vic Metro)

Anyone here familiar with Brandon Walker and his brother. Are we looking at AFL talents?

Both NBA kids for Fremantle for others reading that are unaware.

So the div 2 kids that got in deserved it or just a continuation of Gills inclusion agenda?

Go WA most reps

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering WA thrashed both Vic teams and lost to SA thru wayward kicking for goal, can see why WA had the most reps in the AA side....though interesting WA MVP winner didn't get an AA gig....

Tundrawolf any reason why Keanu Haddow didn't get a game with the state team, even though he made the squad?...thought he was as equal a talent as the Walker twins?

Considering WA thrashed both Vic teams and lost to SA thru wayward kicking for goal, can see why WA had the most reps in the AA side....though interesting WA MVP winner didn't get an AA gig....

Tundrawolf any reason why Keanu Haddow didn't get a game with the state team, even though he made the squad?...thought he was as equal a talent as the Walker twins?
I'm actually not sure why he didn't get a gig. He's definitely as talented and is hard as nails and very competitive.

Schofield as a forward? Didnt kick a goal all carnival. Had a good carnival, don't get me wrong- but seems more they needed a spot for him and popped him in. Interesting that Yaccob didn't get a position either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone from any state other than WA tell me what the selection policy is for the state schoolboys comp currently on?
Is it like the 16's and 18's where the best is selected or is it similar to the WA selection policy where club coaches nominate players and the players (or at least their families) have to pay for the privilege of playing for your state which invariably means the richer families get represented rather than the best selected. I'm pretty sure last year's WA state schoolboys and schoolgirls teams had maybe 1 indigenous player among the roughly 75 players selected (three squads 2 x girls and 1 x boys)

And it's not a WAFC endorsed competition because of this.

From the WA school sports website tundra, it looks like an application form is available for all n sundry who are the right age, a number of skill sessions are held, kids are culled, leaving x amount who work their way thru to the final squad, picked by the coaches...head coach is ex Cl ruckman Andrew Ruck and assistant coach is ex EF defender Andrew Stephen....both who are secondary teachers...Mount Lawley SHS and Willeton SHS respectively...
Is it the same in the other states.

It's an absolute crock of a selection criteria.

What makes it a crock? You nominate through your school go through the regional trials then the final trials in the city. How else can it be done?

Some of it is done on reputation, but I went through the process up to the regional trials where a lot of it does come down to circumstance and if you're lucky enough to be put in a familiar position. I wasn't and proceeded to suck. The kids who went ahead to the the city trials and subsequently the squad were better players more capable of showing their talent in unfamiliar situations. A couple basically bypassed that stage due to injury and with the coaches knowing what they were capable of, again whilst is all subjective to be frank even at the time their ability was transcendent (though they didn't end up "making it").

Potentially why WA hardly won a game last year. Noticably they also select a lot of big players who dont appear as skillful but just carry a lot of size. The 15's matched it up in size with some of the U16 squad's they placed before the tournament.

Not sure if you noticed, but the WA 15's also have a new head coach. Ray Barrett the original coach for 20+ years now has a gig training the WCE NGA boys.

What makes it a crock? You nominate through your school go through the regional trials then the final trials in the city. How else can it be done?

Some of it is done on reputation, but I went through the process up to the regional trials where a lot of it does come down to circumstance and if you're lucky enough to be put in a familiar position. I wasn't and proceeded to suck. The kids who went ahead to the the city trials and subsequently the squad were better players more capable of showing their talent in unfamiliar situations. A couple basically bypassed that stage due to injury and with the coaches knowing what they were capable of, again whilst is all subjective to be frank even at the time their ability was transcendent (though they didn't end up "making it").
What makes it a crock is that it is not a state based selection process, families with cash can afford to pay for their child to represent that the state, while other families don't have the funds to pay for their kids.

You ask how else can it be done, my answer is that it should be an equal selection process for all, like the 16's and 18's, if you are good enough you get to go and it is paid for by the WAFC, there should be no sign of elitism in the sport even at 15's level.

The fact that very few of the 15's go on to represent their state in the 16's and 18's is pretty good evidence to suggest that it is crap

The 15's competition is not recognised by the WAFC because the selection policy is compromised.

Are you talking on a SA behalf or are you speaking about WA because if you knew how it works here i'm sure you would agree it is a crock.

What makes it a crock is that it is not a state based selection process, families with cash can afford to pay for their child to represent that the state, while other families don't have the funds to pay for their kids.

You ask how else can it be done, my answer is that it should be an equal selection process for all, like the 16's and 18's, if you are good enough you get to go and it is paid for by the WAFC, there should be no sign of elitism in the sport even at 15's level.

The fact that very few of the 15's go on to represent their state in the 16's and 18's is pretty good evidence to suggest that it is crap

The 15's competition is not recognised by the WAFC because the selection policy is compromised.

Are you talking on a SA behalf or are you speaking about WA because if you knew how it works here i'm sure you would agree it is a crock.
It is what it is because the WAFC dont financially support it. The selection process is reasonably fair but the ability to pay makes it out of their reach. If the WAFC got involved it could help here. They could hold 15s carnival with 16s carnival and go from there. At present School Sports WA goes it alone. There were that many 14 year olds in 2017s team it was embarrassing. All the aboriginal boys go the kickstart pathway as it is funded and other boys go the next generation academy route for a similar reason. How about pooling all the resources to make one really good state 15s.
The 15s are always scratching for decent facilities and venues. It isn't the selection process that keeps WAFC disinterested it is the fact that only school teachers are used as coaches. It is a school sports Australia event. Could be done a lot better with AFL involvement.
I notice in SA SANFL work in with Their 15s somehow.

Nah I'm from regional WA also.

In my year there were a couple I knew who were pretty clearly from atrocious backgrounds who made the 15's then went on into further age group teams with one of them making the AFL (but didn't last). So I think a lot of it comes back to the support of teachers at their school to get them into the trials.

But interesting discussion nonetheless.

It is what it is because the WAFC dont financially support it. The selection process is reasonably fair but the ability to pay makes it out of their reach. If the WAFC got involved it could help here. They could hold 15s carnival with 16s carnival and go from there. At present School Sports WA goes it alone. There were that many 14 year olds in 2017s team it was embarrassing. All the aboriginal boys go the kickstart pathway as it is funded and other boys go the next generation academy route for a similar reason. How about pooling all the resources to make one really good state 15s.
The 15s are always scratching for decent facilities and venues. It isn't the selection process that keeps WAFC disinterested it is the fact that only school teachers are used as coaches. It is a school sports Australia event. Could be done a lot better with AFL involvement.

Good post.

It makes me think you are one of the teachers involved in the 15's program? If so were you at the jumper presentation at Claremont Oval last year because I may have met you?

You don't sound like you are from School Sport WA.

I dont think the opportunities to coach are limited to school teachers only because if you refer to the SSWA U12's Basketball team, the head coach over the last 3 years isnt a teacher.

Good post.

It makes me think you are one of the teachers involved in the 15's program? If so were you at the jumper presentation at Claremont Oval last year because I may have met you?

You don't sound like you are from School Sport WA.
No I am not sorry, but I am a school teacher, primary, and know a little bit about how things operate, due to knowing others involved as players and coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back