MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

From my perspective, I don't think the discussion is about pressure, it's about how he responds to symptoms of a mental health condition. Those symptoms can occur in any number of contexts. Sounds like he has the right supports in place.

This might feel like I am having a crack, so I'll apologise in advance if it does, it's not my intention. Just want to highlight a difference in how we can read his experience.

Your post reads as if you are attributing the experience of poor mental health to his move to the Club and the money etc. In the article I read, Boyd acknowledged he was experiencing symptoms as early as 2014 once he'd moved away from home. There will be some people out there who would agree that he brought it on himself by accepting the contract, that seems not to be the case. Not in its entirety at least.

It is a strong narrative out there, most recently revisited by Tony Shaw, that the kid is "not worth the money," and that this must weigh heavily on him. It might, but what I've herd today suggests it's just as likely not to be the case.

In any case, Tom Boyd's understanding of his experience should hold more weight than the malicious, speculative stuff dished up by the likes of Shaw, Matthews et al at various points since Oct 2014.

On a footy only note, he is hovering around OK. Not much better, not much worse than OK. We want/need more from him. He's doing his job at a level Bevo seems reasonably comfortable with given the current situation with the list, his health/fitness and the role we've got him doing. I reckon we'll get some more value out his best form over his career.

Well said - if it is you say, it sounds like fans shouldn't get worried about the s**t he gets served up as it is a non issue for his mental health.

Not so sure that is the case but only Tom could answer it.

Well said - if it is you say, it sounds like fans shouldn't get worried about the s**t he gets served up as it is a non issue for his mental health.

Not so sure that is the case but only Tom could answer it.
Yes. But I'm sure if I was constantly hearing/reading negative stuff about myself it wouldn't do my mental health much good.

Kudos to Tom for speaking out and doing something positive to try to help people with mental health issues. I just found out someone I know committed suicide - tragic for them and those left behind. :'(

The constant scrutiny he is under would have to be an issue for Tom's mental health. For someone who has experienced depression in the past , negative comments can cut like a knife. It can be a constant feeling of not being good enough to do anything. The fact that Beveridge had a crack at someone like Barrett (who shows no moral fibre), is because Bevo has Tom's back and knows what he has been through. It is brilliant to see Tom speak out as part of his healing process. In the end, football is only a game and it is not worth losing your life over. Tom is obviously getting the support he needs. Many people aren't getting support so we hope those people can reach out and find some peace of mind.

I would go to hell and back for Tom and his amazing hair
Even...Monkey Hell?
2527050673_2f835b39d6.jpg

But back in the main game, good on Tom for all this! A true champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Panic attacks are horrible. Being an AFL player is not an easy path, even for the most well-prepared young men. Tom came to the club under dramatic circumstances and has been under enormous pressure from the minute he walked into the club. Many would crack under the scrutiny he's had to endure.
i had a panic attack once, it was horrible. i was lucky i made it to a coffee shop and sat down. things were spinning. it is shait, and for deadbeat barrett to make headlines out of people's mental health conditions is an absolute disgrace. shame on the gastard! xhit bloke and journo.

I might be a bit late to the party, but I’m guessing the Tom Boyd FB account that commented on the club FB post about Billy Gowers today is fake? How can that even be permitted to continue posting?

No one can EVER question whether or not the Tom Boyd deal/contract was a good idea. It has paid for itself a thousand times over. We have achieved the ultimate success and Tom played a MASSIVE part in that. A 63-year drought-ending premiership. Can't ask much more from a third-year tall.

Lol whichever mod changed my post...thanks for the likes I guess.

The full headspace video that the press release pulled the speech from.

He spoke really well live at the event today too.

Apologies if this is insensitive but I really do hope the dog he has is a Great Dane.

I doubt Tom or Billy are actually on FB at all.
Surely you're not serious. They are 100% on Facebook, as are probably 99.9% of all footballers. It's just the way thing are.

Surely you're not serious. They are 100% on Facebook, as are probably 99.9% of all footballers. It's just the way thing are.
I would think none of them are. First day at the club, first meeting: "Boys, stay away from Facebook. You will never read anything good about yourself."

I would think none of them are. First day at the club, first meeting: "Boys, stay away from Facebook. You will never read anything good about yourself."
They're both 22 year old footballers. Having met a lot of different people in the sport, if they're not on facebook then they would be a very rare breed.

So many people have short memories, including many dogs supporters. It is disappointing to see our own board at times reflect the flogs in the media we rightly are critical of.

True, what do you mean about the board though? I did hear someone [Granty?] make some reference to us winning it too early or something which grated a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back