Remove this Banner Ad

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I don't mind it but will turn it off pretty quickly.
The Giants beating the Dogs a couple of weeks ago was a cracker and I watched most of that.

Now I am no longer living in Qld, I might just infuriate Boddsy and pick a non-Suns AFLW team to support. That would be worth the price of admission.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't mind it but will turn it off pretty quickly.
The Giants beating the Dogs a couple of weeks ago was a cracker and I watched most of that.

Now I am no longer living in Qld, I might just infuriate Boddsy and pick a non-Suns AFLW team to support. That would be worth the price of admission.

U will support Different teams in Men’s and Women’s?
Turn It Up.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
I think I'd find it a lot easier to get invested if they'd given the Women's teams their own identities. (goes for both WBBL and AFLW) as it is now I hear Dogs, Crows, Scorchers, Heat etc and tune in only to find out that its the women and i feel cheated. Would have worked better especially in the AFLW because there wouldn't be immediate pressure from the 'Have-not' clubs to expand the league too fast - as many posts in this thread suggest I agree that the talent pool isn't yet broad enough to run as many teams as the league has without impacting quality.

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Victorians need Gold Coast in the AFLW as quickly as possible to offset the Brisbane Lions dominance.
A club from a non football state wasn't supposed to make one Grand Final - but to do it twice ??
Pre season favourites were Melbourne and Carlton (lol) - Brisbane tipped for the spoon.
Sorry Bods... but I'm a Lions supporter on this one...
Hope the Gold Coast girls have great games.

Last edited:

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Victorians need Gold Coast in the AFLW as quickly as possible to offset the Brisbane Lions dominance.
A club from a non football state wasn't supposed to make one Grand Final - but to do it twice ??
Pre season favourites were Melbourne and Carlton (lol) - Brisbane tipped for the spoon.

It’s all good for you to go for Brisbane Sunraysia.
Just like Basketball, BBL and Soccer I’m currently in the care factor zero camp until we have a team.
Hope the Lions Girls win for you.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's also important to mention that star players from Victorian clubs are in fact Queenslanders - Katie Brennan and Tayla Harris both grew up in Brisbane. So many high quality AFLw players seem to have come out of Queensland.

Pretty incredible when you think about it.

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
It's also important to mention that star players from Victorian clubs are in fact Queenslanders - Katie Brennan and Tayla Harris both grew up in Brisbane. So many high quality AFLw players seem to have come out of Queensland.

Pretty incredible when you think about it.
Womens AFL in Queensland is very strong. It's isolation from main stream States allows it to go under the radar though. Our players are experienced and our state competition is of a high standard.
When I first moved here - I was surprised by the amount of AFLQ and community support for womens football.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I wonder how Gold Coast Suns will be ready for AFLW IV here are my queries.

Coach – I assume it will be Jason Torney but clues will be provided at the three match AFLW Winter Series this year.

Home venue – I believe you will play at a mix of venues. Marquee and evening fixtures should be at Metricon Stadium. Cairns could/should receive one game a year at Cazaly Stadium. The majority of the home games to be played at Fankhauser Reserve. I would also play at Coolangatta, Bond Uni and Broadbeach. Keep the local clubs engaged.

NQ zone – the question is do you have a second base in NQ. Using the Crows model with a squad of 9+ players located in Darwin. Some of this was the cash from NT government. Tasmanian government is stumping up cash and North Melbourne are likely to have a squad in Hobart. Historically you have moved players south for the Academy, so no but games to be played at Cairns.

So where are the players coming from? List construction will include Gold Coast players on Brisbane list, de-listed AFLW players and Marquee Players. Representative teams. I will do this separately.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
So where are the players coming from? List construction will include Gold Coast players on Brisbane list, de-listed AFLW players and Marquee Players. Representative teams.

Congratulations should go out to Brisbane on the construction of the list and buy in by imported players where all bar one stayed for the off season and became Queenslanders. One of there strengths was a very young list and that they will grow together this could be a weakness. Even though the AFL may wish they split in two.

I don’t anticipate marquee players being available to Gold Coast with the growing of six teams in two years. I can’t see Katie Brennan or Tayla Harris returning from Melbourne. Tiarna Ernst doesn’t scream marquee. Unless the club could convince a hospital to come on board for employment opportunities for her. Asta O’Connor would need a significant job to leave the AFL Academy and there are significant miles on the player. So the marquees are likely to be someone from the current Brisbane list.

Without specific WA/QLD expansion rules I see Fremantle and Brisbane being able to re-sign 20 players.

Gold Coast players on Brisbane List in 2018:
Leah Kaslar – Vice Captain and key defender currently 32 years of age.
Jamie Stanton - 22 year old midfielder with a soccer background (Junior Matilda). Runner up B&F 2018 and schoolteacher.
Ruby Blair – 18 year old defender who played the maximum 8 Games.
Kalinda Howarth – 18 year old general forward, All Australian U18 team but no games with Lions in 2018. 2019 will determine if she returns to Gold Coast. When drafted was an employee of the Gold Coast Suns.
Arianna Clarke – 18 year defender but no games with Lions in 2018. 2019 will be a decisive year.
Molly Ritson - Bond Uni, 18 year old midfielder who missed all representative teams and no games with the Lions in 2018.
Krystal Scott - Bond Uni 23 year old midfielder /forward football convert from tennis who was on a US College scholarship.

Delisted AFLW Players to consider
Clare Lawton is a 24 year old 177cm Utility/Ruck formerly of GWS played 7 games and has moved to Brisbane with ADF.
Selina Goodman is a 22 year old 176 cm Utility/Ruck former Lion played 8 games and from Gold Coast.
Nikki Wallace is a 23 year old 160cm Forward former Lion played 8 games and from Gold Coast.
Jordan Membrey is a 22 year old 168 cm Midfielder former Lion played 5 games and from Gold Coast.
Shaleise Law is a 19 year old 162 cm Forward former Lion played 3 games.
Kate Deegan is a 21 year old 172 cm Defender former Lion Rookie played 1 game.
Jade Ransfield is a 20 year old 171 cm Forward former Lion 0 games but was 2017 QWAFL equal leading goalkicker.
Caitlin Collins is a 22 year old Defender former Lion 0 games.

June 2017 saw Queensland challenge WA at Under 23 level and Gold Coast representatives were Hannah Sexton, Maddy Roberts, Beth Pinchin and Zoe Lattanzi.

The existence of the Gold Coast Sun’s Academy is the basis of the future AFLW team. The NAB Under 18 Championships will help identify talent with the AFL providing more AFL Academy positions from this year’s and next year’s championship.

QLD 2017 NAB Under 18 Championships provided players born 1999-2002.
Drafted year 2017 players born in 1999 had 12 with 5 drafted by Lions. There are 12 girls born in 2000 with three chosen in the AFL Academy. There are 10 girls born 2001 and 5 in the AFL Academy. This 10 is the year where the Suns will have access to drafting.

Of the seven girls born in 1999 not drafted include Courtney Bromage a defender in the initial All Australian squad 40. She had previously been part of the Suns Academy. Jemma Abbott a forward in the initial All Australian squad. Jessi Henning a tall, formerly of the Lions Academy was included in the formal AFL Draft testing in Melbourne. Lastly, Taivia Dunne a Gold Coast defender.

From the 12 girls born in 2000 that represented QLD 2017 NAB Under 18 Championships there are 3 AFL Academy with two in the Suns Academy, Lauren Bella from Mackay and Torri Groves-Little. These two are a good chance of being drafted by the Lions. There are another 3 Suns Academy girls in Poppy Boltz, Briley Bradfield and Georgia Brehmer.

From the 10 girls born in 2001 that represented QLD 2017 NAB Under 18 Championships there are 6 Suns Academy with 2 of the 5 AFL Academy reps from the Suns Academy. They are Dee Heslop, Kitara Farrar, Zoe Wood, Ellie Hampson, Tiarna Ahwang and Charlotte Hammans.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So the two expansion clubs for 2019 Geelong and north Melbourne have started their list build with a 2 week signing period opening last Friday.
They can target any players they want with so big names already on the move.

Me question is who should the Suns target next year ?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My question is who should the Suns target next year ?
2016 Olympic Gold Medalist in Rugby turned VFLW footballer Brooke Walker is probably worth looking at because she grew up on the Gold Coast. I think the number 1 priority in my mind would be another Gold Coaster in Gretel Tippett. I can already envision her kicking bags every week playing as a CHF/FF. She's 191cm and would likely be a handful for even the best defenders in the AFLW. Bring Gretel home!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Our women's team is playing GWS in Sydney at 10:30am this morning. Here's hoping we can get a win today as we lost our first and only game against Brisbane a few years back. Let's even the ledger at 1-1!

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did anyone else see Sally Pearson talk about the possibility that she could switch to the AFLW and play for us after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics? She would be 34 by the time the 2021 AFLW season rolls around and I imagine her signing would mostly be for publicity but it would still be nice to have an Olympic gold medallist walking through our doors, even if it's just for one year. We could offer her some kind of mentoring role going forward after the 2021 season because I imagine she'd be just about done with professional sport by the age of 35. She's a local girl from Helenvale High so there's a good chance she played a bit of footy at school.

I think it's worth a shot.

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did anyone else see Sally Pearson talk about the possibility that she could switch to the AFLW and play for us after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics? She would be 34 by the time the 2021 AFLW season rolls around and I imagine her signing would mostly be for publicity but it would still be nice to have an Olympic gold medallist walking through our doors, even if it's just for one year. We could offer her some kind of mentoring role going forward after the 2021 season because I imagine she'd be just about done with professional sport by the age of 35. She's a local girl from Helenvale High so there's a good chance she played a bit of footy at school.

I think it's worth a shot.
Same while also talking about other sporting stars how about Gretel Tippett netballer for the firebirds, brother of kurt tippett

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Same while also talking about other sporting stars how about Gretel Tippett netballer for the firebirds, brother of kurt tippett
We should definitely look into recruiting Gretel. I imagine she would be very difficult to handle if she played full forward.

Sam Stosur
Another Helensvale High graduate. Sam is 34 now so we might even be able to convince her to join us for our inaugural season.

To be honest, I think we should have a look at some of the elite ironwomen based on the Gold Coast because they are some of the fittest women you will find anywhere in the world. Modern footy is a running game and no athlete has endurance like an ironman/woman. We're fortunate to have many elite ironmen/women based in our city and I'm certain we could convince one or two of them to try footy.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sunsets claim fourth-straight State Championship
The Gold Coast Sunsets have taken out the 2018 AFL Queensland Under 17 Youth Girls State Championships after overcoming the North Queensland Kookaburras in a wet and slippery Grand Final on Tuesday.

The Sunsets were dominant through this year’s competition, winning every one of their four games and conceding just 16 points in the process.

The Gold Coast side completely dismantled their cross-border rival Northern Rivers, winning 120 to nil to launch their campaign.

Wins against Brisbane South and Sunshine Coast then set them up for the clash against the Kookaburras who were also entering the match undefeated.

Sunsets player Emmii-Lee Zanker-Close was one of the competition’s best, taking out the Coaches’ Award and 2ndplace in the Best & Fairest.

“I was very emotional yesterday, it was really awesome to be rewarded with that and I was quite shocked,” Zanker-Close said.

“It’s always so fun playing Sunsets, the coaching, the staff, the whole lead-up to the carnival, all the training – everything’s so much fun,” Zanker-Close said.

“To go out and play on the field, all the hard work pays off and it’s awesome to see, it’s so rewarding.”

2018 is the fourth-straight year the Sunsets have taken out the Championships.

They haven’t lost a game in three years at Under 17 level.

Coached by Gold Coast Winter Series captain Jordan Membrey, the young Sunsets have been able to glean plenty of experience to set them up for their own AFLW dreams.

“She’s always so understanding and if you ever have an issue you feel so warmed just talking to her,” Zanker-Close said.

“It’s good because she’s not only your coach but she’s a really good friend.”

While Zanker-Close’s time in the Sunsets guernsey may be up, she hopes the reputation and legacy the team is building at Youth Girls level continues to live on for many years to come.

Exciting to see our U17 GC girls have claimed the state championship for a fourth straight year and particularly this year because these girls will be draft eligible for us when we get our own AFLW team next year! I don't think it's a stretch to say over 50% of our AFLW team will be made up of players from the Gold Coast and Central/North Queensland. The female talent is definitely here and that holds us in good sted for the national competition.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another athlete from a different sport we should keep an eye on is tennis player Ash Barty. She's a passionate Richmond fan but also a born and bred Queenslander (Ipswich). Considering Richmond don't have an AFLW team, I figure we're a chance to get her with her Queensland roots. She's ranked 17th in the world right now and has previously played professional cricket at the WBBL level with the Brisbane Heat so she's switched sports before.

I think we need to keep an eye on Ash for our AFLW team, along with Gretel Tippett and Sally Pearson.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another athlete from a different sport we should keep an eye on is tennis player Ash Barty. She's a passionate Richmond fan but also a born and bred Queenslander (Ipswich). Considering Richmond don't have an AFLW team, I figure we're a chance to get her with her Queensland roots. She's ranked 17th in the world right now and has previously played professional cricket at the WBBL level with the Brisbane Heat so she's switched sports before.

I think we need to keep an eye on Ash for our AFLW team, along with Gretel Tippett and Sally Pearson.

You do realise she has earnt over $5 million in prize money, with almost half of that coming this year. Even if she never reaches the top 20 again, she could play another 20 years in Doubles and make tens of millions of dollars.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You do realise she has earnt over $5 million in prize money, with almost half of that coming this year. Even if she never reaches the top 20 again, she could play another 20 years in Doubles and make tens of millions of dollars.
Erin Phillips was on good coin playing basketball in the US but a love of the game saw her return to Australia for a fraction of the basketball salary. Ash clearly loves her footy so we'd be silly not to at least ask the question! I think we're definitely more likely to recruit the likes of Gretel Tippett and/or Sally Pearson but there's no harm in asking Ash the question.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Erin Phillips was on good coin playing basketball in the US but a love of the game saw her return to Australia for a fraction of the basketball salary. Ash clearly loves her footy so we'd be silly not to at least ask the question! I think we're definitely more likely to recruit the likes of Gretel Tippett and/or Sally Pearson but there's no harm in asking Ash the question.
Barty is 22, Phillips is 33.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back