Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there's a spot for him in the team anymore. For his size doesn't possess any weapon what so ever. Can't take a contested mark to save his life and when he's not kicking into the man on the mark he just absolutely sprays it. Mitch Brown has gone past him as the 2nd-3rd key forward

I don't think there's a spot for him in the team anymore. For his size doesn't possess any weapon what so ever. Can't take a contested mark to save his life and when he's not kicking into the man on the mark he just absolutely sprays it. Mitch Brown has gone past him as the 2nd-3rd key forward
This year, sure. Let’snot forget how good Stewart was playing at his best alongside JD. I’d expect Stewart to take that sport again in 2019.

Not sure he’s competing with brown.
If anything, brown is competing with Daniher and Stewart with stringer

The question becomes does bags continue his phoenix-like career as a fwd in 2019?
Or do we return to 3 talls in Daniher, stringer and one of Stewart, brown or Mckernan?

The question becomes does bags continue his phoenix-like career as a fwd in 2019?
Or do we return to 3 talls in Daniher, stringer and one of Stewart, brown or Mckernan?
Yeah so Daniher comes in for Brown next year and Stringer keeps his spot over Stewart and continue with Mckernan. Hence there's no spot for Stewart anymore

So has a fit smack...depth at the moment.

Yeah so Daniher comes in for Brown next year and Stringer keeps his spot over Stewart and continue with Mckernan. Hence there's no spot for Stewart anymore
Stewart could become new bags. With stringer and Joey as his partners. That is our more mobile/versatile setup

Hard to predict how we go in next year.
Wouldnt say stewart has no role, but he may well be fighting to get back in.

This is not a bad thing for us at all. Kid has talent and can be a good presence. Plugging away at vfl level should give him time to get it right before he returns

How is Stewart going to be the new bags? Bags role is a defensive forward... teams were walking it out on us when we had 2 talls and Stringer...

We should be building someone from our VFL side to take over from Bags eventually.... if we don't have that player get him this year in the 3rd of 4th round.

I’ve just opened 2 threads, seen your name twice and both times you’re bagging players who have proven themselves at the highest level.

Last year most of us were laughing at how cheaply we got such a talent like Stewart, from GWS. He was fantastic last year and is still a developing tall.

I can never understand the need to see the absolute negative in players on these forums. Look at the positives and back him in to be at the club in 5 yrs time providing us with an impossible to match-up on forward line with Jo and Jakey and Fanta etc etc.

If Smac and Brown can be playing AFL this year - after years treading water on AFL lists - there is hardly going to be a fire sale on Stewart with his age, size and athletisism - plus he improved his marking noticeably.

It's really hard on Mckernan, Brown and Stewart, because they are all good players in their own way that deserve a spot and all work hard. At the end of the day hopefully there is some humbling acknowledgement of all three of them, but it must be difficult on the selectors, you want to give them all a game. They are all good players.

If Stewart focusses on finding that sweet spot to really find his style and confidence, then he'll be back sooner than later, just needs to see a VFL game as being a great opportunity to enjoy himself. Play the football he wants to play. See the challenge as fun and a test for himself to get the most out of it.

I actually thought one of Hooker or Francis would play up forward. Thought we actually looked a bit small up forward and not sure I like Stringer in the ruck. If I'd known we'd play both Hooker/Francis down back I think we should have brought Stewart in to be forward/ruck. I still think we should, even though we got the win last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Stewart going to be the new bags? Bags role is a defensive forward... teams were walking it out on us when we had 2 talls and Stringer...

We should be building someone from our VFL side to take over from Bags eventually.... if we don't have that player get him this year in the 3rd of 4th round.
Begley

Selection pressure is a very good thing.

Stewart is a great size, very mobile, and has improved the physical side of his game and his marking too.

I never would’ve thought even a few weeks back that Brown would take his spot. But there you go.

Brown got his chance and stepped up. Stewart will get a chance at some stage too and can do the same.

I thought he could have been useful in the first half against the swans. We bombed long I50 a lot to midget targets and wasted many entries.

I thought his contested marking was good earlier this year. .. would be looking at bringing him in v Hawthorn as a straight swap for Dea

Could try him (Stewart) as a defender down the track as Hooker is approaching retirement.

I still think he can be a reasonable high roaming tall forward.

The overreactions, oh my...

Stewart was great last year. Played better then Mitch has this year and not far off what McKernan has produced, whilst being 4 years younger then both. Yes he was out of form to start the year and has had some things to work on in the twos, but I bet management is planning for our forward line next year to be Daniher, Stewart, Stringer, Raz, Walla, Begley.

The overreactions, oh my...

Stewart was great last year. Played better then Mitch has this year and not far off what McKernan has produced, whilst being 4 years younger then both. Yes he was out of form to start the year and has had some things to work on in the twos, but I bet management is planning for our forward line next year to be Daniher, Stewart, Stringer, Raz, Walla, Begley.

I seriously think you’ve misinterpreted the thrust of my sentiment.

He's 100% competing with Brown, I'm not sure how anyone could see it otherwise.

He'll look back on this season as a bit of a missed opportunity given he was the last man standing out of last years three headed monster and failed to really capitalise but he's obviously been sent down to the VFL with specific things he needs to work on and if they come through the fact that he's got far more athletic tools than Brown holds him in good stead to regain a place or play along side him going forward.

He's still kicked more goals than Brown this year for the record.

He's 100% competing with Brown, I'm not sure how anyone could see it otherwise.

He'll look back on this season as a bit of a missed opportunity given he was the last man standing out of last years three headed monster and failed to really capitalise but he's obviously been sent down to the VFL with specific things he needs to work on and if they come through the fact that he's got far more athletic tools than Brown holds him in good stead to regain a place or play along side him going forward.

He's still kicked more goals than Brown this year for the record.

I still think Brown, Stringer and Stewart can coexist in the one forward line. Stewart and Brown can each get up the ground and present a target, whilst Stewart also give us an option to bomb to deep forward. I actually thought J.Stew looked strong in the 1:1s under a deep ball. Just seemed to lack a bit of goal kicking confidence which affected the rest of his game to a degree

Brown has 9 goals in the last four weeks. Stewart has 8 in the last two months. Playing reserves. He's worth keeping but currently miles behind Brown, Smack and Daniher imo.

He'll be back. Far too much upside to give up on the bloke. Plays the Tom Lynch (adelaide) role really well when he's on song. I reckon Brown and Stewart could well line-up together as we lacked a tall against the swans. Let's wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back