Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis

What I love about Nank is that he does the ruck stuff to an adequate level. But once the balls hits the ground he becomes both a steamroller for us, and a link player/emergency out, and defensive intercept. Great game, and really causes other teams problems. I swear that they are trying to put someone on him at times to stop his influence. Unlike most rucks I trust it when he has the ball - not Bachar skills but he gets it where it needs to go.

I suspect he was completely in his own world at that moment and almost oblivious to BT even being there. Completely focused on the task at hand - just like how big Nank plays the game.

I don’t think they are allowed to have thier phones on them on game day when at the ground
He was grabbing his phone off the table in the black case thingo
Probs wanted to check out the t lynch thread on big footy

French Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2004
Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa ,Goldern State
Thought his tap work was much improved last night ! We all know he is a competitive beast & like another midfielder, but his ruck work last night was much improved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
I love hearing these stories about old tigers.

My dad is always talking about our premiership stars from the 60’s and 70’s because that’s his generation but it’s interesting for me hearing tales of the generations before that.

I was a year old when we won the 1980 premiership so the premiership players of 2017 are the only one’s I remember watching.
My dad used to always say that one of the best ruckmen he ever saw was Bill Morris. Pretty sure that Roy Wright was his understudy.

And dad was a cats man.

I haven’t had a sentimental favourite Tiger since Maric retired. More like half a dozen faves, all equal with each other. But Nank’s interview with BT won me over :rainbow:

Time to introduce a new verb to the English language:

Nanked

verb

1. To be severely damaged by the action of a large and powerful force
“The car stopped on the rail lines was nanked when the train hit it at 100km/hr.”

2. (in sports) to have one’s prospects of victory removed by an elite performance from an unlikely hero
“Collingwood battled bravely in Round 6 of 2018 but were nanked.”

pebblestone

Former Child
Richmond Tigers - 2017 Player Sponsor Richmond Tigers - 2016 Player Sponsor
May 23, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I know Grundy is right at the very top level of ruckmen, but Nank was shown up yesterday. I reckon he needs a spell to freshen up before finals. Would like to see him in against Geelong but rested vs GC.
I know there's a bye pre-finals, but I just think his body would benefit from the extra break and also not travelling.
Soldo isn't a match for Witts, but he's all we have and he at least is there size-wise.
Would be a good move IMO.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I know Grundy is right at the very top level of ruckmen, but Nank was shown up yesterday. I reckon he needs a spell to freshen up before finals. Would like to see him in against Geelong but rested vs GC.
I know there's a bye pre-finals, but I just think his body would benefit from the extra break and also not travelling.
Soldo isn't a match for Witts, but he's all we have and he at least is there size-wise.
Very good point as I was thinking the same. Undies is a true beast though.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league

In the centre bounce and taps was beaten not around the ground tho for me.Was huge last qtr for us.

Go back and watch the replay. Nankervis was off the ground deliberately for huge parts of the game. They're resting him. When on the ground Grundy didn't dominate him. Grundy killed us when Grigg was in the ruck.
When we play the suns in 2 weeks Soldo will be played and Nankervis rested.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Grundy had 4 kicks for the game. Nank had 11. Both had 6 marks, most of Nank's were contested, don't remember Grundy taking one pack mark. Every time Nank tapped it to one of ours they seemed to fumble, Cotchin in particular, so it made his tap outs seem less effective. At one stage in the game it was 14 hit outs to 12 Grundy's way. His numbers were exaggerated by Grigg's ruck work, or lack there of.
Grundy tackled brilliantly.
Cotchin is missing Conca and Graham so much as he has to do the grunt work instead of the clearing the ball like he did earlier in the season. Could barely pick up a lose ball especially early on last night, badly out of form. His first half of the year was alms the best mid in the game.

Back