Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Hi All,

So the big move is happening soon - Sydney to Germany. Can't bloody wait to get over there!

Was wondering if anyone had any experience moving overseas and sending things via sea to the destination. We need to send 3-5 boxes, mainly containing clothes, books and a few household items (coffee machine, clock radio that I can't part with etc).

Time isn't an issue, so I'm happy for it to take a few months if it makes it cheaper.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

wadistance

Part of my trip in September is to explore possible areas I might like to go and work and live. Have really felt in a rut the last couple of years and that life is passing me by. I don't know. I might come back and feel that I am actually happy to stay in Australia but at least I'll know.

wadistance can I ask about the logistics of your move, are you a native German, if not did you have a hard time getting visa? Have you already got work or studies lined up while over there?

Not a native german, but my partner is, and our daughter is obviously both - so it was ‘fairly’ straight forward getting my visa on grounds of family reunification. Just needed german health insurance and it was sweet - that being said it was a process in bureaucracy itself. Should have just got married and saved a lot of hassle.

I taught high school geography for a few years post masters, but it’s a bit hard to teach in government schools over here as my german isn’t at C1 level yet, so I’ve decided to go back into the coffee industry - which I spent all of my working life before teaching. Looking to eventually open up my own place over here - but for now I’m enjoying being out of the classroom and back in the shop.

Also - if anyone wants a recommendation for a shipping company - seven seas worldwide have been great for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of my trip in September is to explore possible areas I might like to go and work and live. Have really felt in a rut the last couple of years and that life is passing me by. I don't know. I might come back and feel that I am actually happy to stay in Australia but at least I'll know.

Are you under 30? Germany has a job seeker visa where you can go there and live for a year and if employed, you can then extend

Are you under 30? Germany has a job seeker visa where you can go there and live for a year and if employed, you can then extend

Unfortunately no. I'm a teacher though and it's relatively easy to get jobs teaching in international schools or teaching English and get a Visa that way.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no. I'm a teacher though and it's relatively easy to get jobs teaching in international schools or teaching English and get a Visa that way.

Yeah absolutely. Just start applying. There’s a great one here in Hamburg, a few in the Ruhr (Düsseldorf, Bonn and Essen) and heaps in the east. I know if you’re successful, hamburg international pays your airfares and relocates you.

Just don’t go to England

Yeah absolutely. Just start applying. There’s a great one here in Hamburg, a few in the Ruhr (Düsseldorf, Bonn and Essen) and heaps in the east. I know if you’re successful, hamburg international pays your airfares and relocates you.

Just don’t go to England

Even though I like Germany I think I would prefer to go somewhere like Romania, Hungary or Croatia.

If I did go to Germany I would prefer the Eastern part, which is why I'm interested in checking Leipzig out.

Have no interest in England.

Last edited:
Even though I like Germany I think I would prefer to go somewhere like Romania, Hungary or Croatia.

If I did go to Germany I would prefer the Eastern part, which is why I'm interested in checking Leipzig out.

Have no interest in England.

There’s a reason teachers are in such high demand there

Not a native german, but my partner is, and our daughter is obviously both - so it was ‘fairly’ straight forward getting my visa on grounds of family reunification. Just needed german health insurance and it was sweet - that being said it was a process in bureaucracy itself. Should have just got married and saved a lot of hassle.

I taught high school geography for a few years post masters, but it’s a bit hard to teach in government schools over here as my german isn’t at C1 level yet, so I’ve decided to go back into the coffee industry - which I spent all of my working life before teaching. Looking to eventually open up my own place over here - but for now I’m enjoying being out of the classroom and back in the shop.

Also - if anyone wants a recommendation for a shipping company - seven seas worldwide have been great for me!

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to improve my German and hopefully next year apply for the working holiday visa you mentioned to raskolnikov.

or Plan B marry a beautiful german bar wench :)

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to improve my German and hopefully next year apply for the working holiday visa you mentioned to raskolnikov.

or Plan B marry a beautiful german bar wench :)

Yeah get amongst it. I was a little hesitant about leaving Australia and a full time permanent job, but I’m glad I did. Your german will improve overnight just by being around it... maybe do a few semesters at Goethe institute as well before you go.

It’s a pity the team you support is in the most expensive city in the country

Remove this Banner Ad

Back