General motorsport news thread

Everytime this thread gets bumped its seemingly for awful news.

2016 Knoxville Nationals champion Jason Johnson has passed over night after a horrific accident at Beaver Dam yesterday in World of Outlaws competition.

JJ is survived by his wife Bobbi and young son Jaxx.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Everytime this thread gets bumped its seemingly for awful news.

2016 Knoxville Nationals champion Jason Johnson has passed over night after a horrific accident at Beaver Dam yesterday in World of Outlaws competition.

JJ is survived by his wife Bobbi and young son Jaxx.
Just saw this pop up on Facebook, can’t believe it.
Spent many a nights watching him go round in the World Series here in Aus.
Just one of the great blokes in Motorsport.
Very sad for his wife and young son, who no doubt would have been there watching.
Sounds like this has happened before at the same track at the same spot.
In 2004 his sister also pasted away from a car accident.
RIP JJ
AdelaideFan14

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Tragic news for the Dunlop family with William being lost in practice for a race in Ireland.

Three members of that family gone in road race crashes.The documentary Road is must see viewing for anyone interested in Motorsport. Better viewing than Senna.

RIP William

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
It has been a really crap five or so weeks to be a motorcycle racing fan. Dan Kneen and Adam Lyon were killed at the TT, young 14 year old Andreas Perez died in a junior Moto3 crash in Spain and now waking to the shocking news that William Dunlop has been killed overnight in a practice session for the Skerries 100.

It's the unfortunate side of the sport I love. My thoughts are with their loved ones. R.I.P.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I was watching the North West 200 replayed on TV last night and one of the main protagonists was Dan Kneen who was sadly killed at the TT.
One of the riders I took note of was James Cowton who won the super-twins race. Continuing on an horrific month, he unfortunately he lost his life last night in the supersport race at the Southern 100. He was 26 years old. Ian Linton was also critically injured in the incident and is fighting for his life whilst two other riders suffered less serious injuries.
R.I.P James.
Keep fighting Ivan.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
3 years on..... #ForzaJules

Marussia_12859_HiRes-750x502.jpg

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tomorrow is the single most important motorcycle race of the year - the Suzuka 8 Hours.

Yamaha have won the last three straight which doesn't sit at all well with Honda who own the circuit - and traditionally own the race. But Yamaha will again start favourites, running last years winning combination of Alex Lowes, Michael van der Mark and Kats Nakasuga again. They will however face stiffer opposition this year as the competition has really gotten serious for the 2018 edition of the race. Honda are running a factory bike this year - the first time since 2008 - with Taka Nakagami, Takumi Takahashi and PJ Jacobsen (who is filling in for Leon Camier who broke vertebrae in testing for the race). Runners up for the past two years was Team Green Kawasaki and this year they have launched their most serious tilt at the race for many years, enlisting none other than their three time reigning Superbike World Champion in Jonathon Rea to join Leon Haslam and Kazuma Watanabe.

Behind these main factory contenders are a host of top satellite and Endurance World Championship teams. Among them includes a very strong contingent of Australian riders, many of whom already boast multiple podium and top 5 finishes at Suzuka. The likes of Broc Parkes, Josh Hook, Troy Herfoss, Josh Waters, the Cudlin brothers - Alex and Damien (on the same team) are all a show for a top 5 finish and Ant West possibly a top 10 and Billy McConnell and Aaron Morris would do well to finish in the top 20. There are 64 entries in total. You can watch (most of) it on Eurosport 511 on Foxtel.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Even though it is soaking wet, it is still 29 degrees.

Antiques, Yukio Kagayama and Shinichi Ito are racing.

Also, the best team name in the field is Titanium Power Racing with HOOTERS. :D

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Nearly two and a half hours in and the leaders - the factory Kawasaki and Yamaha - are separated by less than two tenths of a second. This could be one of the all time great finishes if they can keep their powder dry. Long way to go yet though.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Just drove 5 laps around Mt Panorama whilst on holidays...... I was far to emotional for a rational man.
Its great. I have done that back when Conrod Straight was straight. Going over the top of the mountain and you wonder at times the speed they go. Then again there is no need to be concerned about traffic coming the other way

Glad you enjoyed