Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Interesting to see so many neutrals think Cripps is better, perhaps I'm biased but I think Oliver already is better than him despite being two years younger. Faster, better skills and better hands.

People are always 12 months behind. Most neutrals wouldn't recognise Oliver can kick yet. Cripps has been carrying a midfield literally by himself this season.

Statistically you could argue Oliver has had a better season but I think it's just preference who you would take. Both young superstars.

Screenshot_20180729-083423.jpg

degustation

Senior List
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
People are always 12 months behind. Most neutrals wouldn't recognise Oliver can kick yet. Cripps has been carrying a midfield literally by himself this season.

Statistically you could argue Oliver has had a better season but I think it's just preference who you would take. Both young superstars.

View attachment 535147
I might take Cripps just for his size

Oliver is more explosive I think. I don’t watch enough of Cripps (because Carlton are shite) to really know how good he is, but I do like the little I’ve seen. A lot of people don’t rate Oliver because he doesn’t kick enough, but he averages 10.4 kicks per game to Cripps’ 11.6. They’re very similar statistically except that Oliver does better in the offensive stats (score involvements, inside 50s, etc) which makes sense given the difference between the two teams and also Cripps gets quite a few more free kicks
Most people don’t like Oliver cause of the Schofield incident and the follow on stuff on social media. I don’t mind, they’ll find it pretty hard to refuse to acknowledge him if he keeps doing what he’s doing.

Interesting to see so many neutrals think Cripps is better, perhaps I'm biased but I think Oliver already is better than him despite being two years younger. Faster, better skills and better hands.
They are pretty even in almost every way IMO but I reckon Oliver pips him by winnings balls he has no right to.
Cripps is as much a bull as Oliver but his hands aren't quite as good. Oliver snaffles balls from nowhere that just make him impossible to stop in close and then gets it out to someone.
Reckon many neutrals would pick Cripps too due to the Clarry's dives last year and the fact he's an unfortunate looking ranga.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Each time I watch Clarry play I am so glad we didn’t get Darcy Parish.

It would have been a Tambling/Franklin moment for the club.

Agree re your first point but your second is a bit of a stretch - Parish looks a pretty decent player, nowhere near as damaging as Oliver but should play 200 games as a solid accumulator at worst.

Back