Autopsy Rd 19 - Wait ... wut? Did we win? We s**t it in!

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say, re: Dow and Cunners speed, is even though Cunners might have Dow covered overall, I think Dow's shown more willingness to use his explosion. Cunners just haven't seen enough of it for whatever reason. I suppose Dow has more natural aggression.

I would say, re: Dow and Cunners speed, is even though Cunners might have Dow covered overall, I think Dow's shown more willingness to use his explosion. Cunners just haven't seen enough of it for whatever reason. I suppose Dow has more natural aggression.

Early days and a bad run with injury. It will come. Cunners just needs some continuity

Have heard from friend of a friend who was involved in our fitness department that Bolts' game plan is incredibly complicated. Something he might need to learn to simplify as he matures in the job.
My biggest concern with the coaches right now is that they are trying to enforce a style of play that doesn't suit our players. Hence my comment in the Bolton thread that perhaps we should look at engaging Paul Roos on a casual basis to verify the suitability of this style for our list.

These are the important lessons we need to learn from this year

My biggest concern with the coaches right now is that they are trying to enforce a style of play that doesn't suit our players. Hence my comment in the Bolton thread that perhaps we should look at engaging Paul Roos on a casual basis to verify the suitability of this style for our list.

I completely disagree. The game plan isn't the issue. We are young and have had injuries. We aren't doing much different to what most other sides do. Last year Bolton worked hard on our defensive side and this year tried to bring in some more attacking football.

Unfortunately injuries and lack of continuity have made it hard to implement.

In my humble opinion it makes no difference what 'style'. Carltons style has been kick or handball it straight to the opposition. The win came about when they started doing less of that and kept posession. Imagine its a work in progress towards being harder faster and better than other teams, more than any kind of mindblowing unbeatable gameplan. Personally I dont care about gameplans, only results. About each player beating opponents to the ball and passing it to a teammate who then does the same. Simple game when that happens.

I completely disagree. The game plan isn't the issue. We are young and have had injuries. We aren't doing much different to what most other sides do. Last year Bolton worked hard on our defensive side and this year tried to bring in some more attacking football.

Unfortunately injuries and lack of continuity have made it hard to implement.
How do you explain the completely incoherent structure vs Gold Coast and Collingwood Round 2&3 when our injury list was minimal?

In my humble opinion it makes no difference what 'style'. Carltons style has been kick or handball it straight to the opposition. The win came about when they started doing less of that and kept posession. Imagine its a work in progress towards being harder faster and better than other teams, more than any kind of mindblowing unbeatable gameplan. Personally I dont care about gameplans, only results. About each player beating opponents to the ball and passing it to a teammate who then does the same. Simple game when that happens.

Are you the bloke that sits behind me each week, and yells "kick it long" every time we have the ball?

How do you explain the completely incoherent structure vs Gold Coast and Collingwood Round 2&3 when our injury list was minimal?

Are you the bloke that sits behind me each week, and yells "kick it long" every time we have the ball?
You mean the structure that had us selecting Casboult as our starting ruck ?
Those early rounds including basically the whole season we were getting in game injuries that can and does throw structures to the kerb...

Yes. Game plan is not the issue as we were still adjusting and learning it with a young group. We still are. This is about bigger picture. As the current group mature and improve the game plan will bed in. It takes time

I really hope that the people that run our club aren't as blindly optimistic as you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got around to this post, I was at the game and was a ripper!

Few negatives to start, our spread, offensively and defensively from stoppages is terrible. Most our onballers are flat footed still at the stoppage while the opposition has spread and are away, makes us look slow. Offensively means we don't have many options to handball out and leads to repeat stoppages. Defensively means they're out while we're still bundled together. Not sure if this is work ethic or directives, but either way something we can work out.

Speaking of work ethic, our forward line are lazy.. Bar JSOS. He's leading hard, lead after lead. I was watching the rest (mainly pickett) that when they lead it's a jog lead..sure, they're only leading to create space and get front and center for the long kick but if they lead hard, they might get used. Every forward was guilty of this, curnow harry but these guys can take a contested mark, and often didn't do any multiple leads. Just half assed lead, double back then wait for the long kick.

Now some positives, lobbe you're a machine. Prior to the game during the warm ups, he was going 100%. Doing the semi competitive warm up stoppages, 100%. Then they spilt, he was with a free few coaches still doing ball ups where he tapped it down to one of them and they would leave it, allowing him to sprint to follow up his own work. Done this all night, his follow up work was great. Not sure if this stats, but he didn't get allot of it but dominated witts and provided what kreuzer provides when the ball hits the ground.

I was critical of polson, but watching him apply pressure in our forward half was amazing. I'm sure he will learn how to find possessions the more he plays, but he provides allot off the ball for our team.

Weitering and marchbank were great, rowe was a general back there as well. If Jones can go back and play a lock down role like rowe, I think once rowe retires we will be fine. Bryne was great as well, pace and backed himself.

Sps was good, still has that tendency to kick side ways, looks damaging when he looks up straight away and hits a leading target, but we need our forwards to lead hard at him to allow this.

Enough for now, enjoy.

There's a few on here that are happy to throw accusations without back up/evidence. Then they go missing :straining:

Always lack any form of evidence

Round 2 - GC

Players out injured - Doc, Willo, Kennedy, Kreuzer, Pickett, Lang, Garlett - In game injury, Byrne with a quad

Round 3

Players out injured - Doc, Willo, Byrne, Lang, Pickett - In game injury Marchbank

We should never of brought back Kennedy for that round 3 clash

The main area of concern for me is the medical department, not the coach, gameplan or the current list as it stands, as that will also change dramatically over the next 2 years

Always lack any form of evidence

Round 2 - GC

Players out injured - Doc, Willo, Kennedy, Kreuzer, Pickett, Lang, Garlett - In game injury, Byrne with a quad

Round 3

Players out injured - Doc, Willo, Byrne, Lang, Pickett - In game injury Marchbank

We should never of brought back Kennedy for that round 3 clash

The main area of concern for me is the medical department, not the coach, gameplan or the current list as it stands, as that will also change dramatically over the next 2 years

Mine to

Have heard from friend of a friend who was involved in our fitness department that Bolts' game plan is incredibly complicated. Something he might need to learn to simplify as he matures in the job.

26-dr-doom.w710.h473.jpg

Perhaps it's become more complex since his first year or two, but we did the defensive zone VERY well early under Bolton. I wonder if Docherty is a big reason for it working. He is very intelligent, strategy-minded and a director on the field. Perhaps it's all a bit too much for the team to do consistently well without his input this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back