Sunday morning AFL shows

Remove this Banner Ad

ChrisHunt313131

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What are people’s opinion’s on AFL game day & the Sunday footy show?

Personally I don’t like AFL game day but do like the Sunday footy show.

Game day stinks. Dislike their desire to use current players as panelists who no doubt pretend to have watched the game they are expected to review. Plus Hamish Mclaughlin has the presence of a slimy used car salesman.

Sunday Footy Show just seems a little stale these days. Could do with a better host and panelists. Get the feeling that the blokes on that show are enjoying their jokes and banter a considerable amount more than anyone watching at home is.

Personally prefer offsiders on the abc as a sports show with decent discussion.

Game Day is targeted more at mums and kids with limited analysis and more content regarding players personal lives.

Sunday Footy Show is aimed at a more blokey audience, has some more game analysis but also brings the cringeworthy Footy Show sense of humour to it's detriment.

Sunday Footy Show wins simply because the actual football content has a bit more depth to it.

I never understood why the media side of football sucks so bad.

Probably the worst media coverage of any major professional sport in the world.

People these days understand the importance of advanced statistics and would prefer analysis of such things over whatever anecdotal humour most shows put out.

Game Day used to be OK but has got progressively worse the last few years due to them focusing more on puff pieces about players personal lives, like showing photos of their weddings or holidays and s**t that no one cares about, rather than focusing on the actual games. It also doesn't help that they have some of the most annoying people in the footy media on there like Hamish McLachlan and Daisy Pearce.

The Ch9 Sunday Footy Show is much better, they have a few annoying dickheads on there too but at least they focus mostly on the games.

I never understood why the media side of football sucks so bad.

Probably the worst media coverage of any major professional sport in the world.

People these days understand the importance of advanced statistics and would prefer analysis of such things over whatever anecdotal humour most shows put out.

It’s almost like we’re stuck in the old days of World of Sport. Most here probably don’t remember it but it was good for its time because there was nothing else.

But nothing has changed from then to now in regards to ‘analysing’ each game. Very brief and just very basic generalising. Most of the panel have just watched the game on TV. It’s unbelievably amateurish.

Plus Tony Jones and Hamish...is that all we’ve got!!?? They’re rubbish hosts

It’s almost like we’re stuck in the old days of World of Sport. Most here probably don’t remember it but it was good for its time because there was nothing else.

But nothing has changed from then to now in regards to ‘analysing’ each game. Very brief and just very basic generalising. Most of the panel have just watched the game on TV. It’s unbelievably amateurish.

Plus Tony Jones and Hamish...is that all we’ve got!!?? They’re rubbish hosts
WWOS was before its time and it would seem that the studios loved it so much that they barely changed the format for nearly every show for the next 40 years.

Currently there are two types of show, variety (TFS, TSFS, TFB, Game Day etc) and narrative driven (360, FC etc)

Where is the show that explains what is happening on the field?

Where is the show that shows young potential players structures, running patterns, blocking, overlapping etc

The game and networks have jumped the shark by doubling down on shows like TFS that have been failing for years because people are starting to look on other platforms for the information they crave about the game they love.

Teaching young people the nuances of AFL football allows them to come into the league better prepared.

Teaching older people the nuances of current AFL football allows them to emotionally invest in their passion which equals $$.

The AFL and networks are cutting their own throats on this one IMO.

WWOS was before its time and it would seem that the studios loved it so much that they barely changed the format for nearly every show for the next 40 years.

Currently there are two types of show, variety (TFS, TSFS, TFB, Game Day etc) and narrative driven (360, FC etc)

Where is the show that explains what is happening on the field?

Where is the show that shows young potential players structures, running patterns, blocking, overlapping etc

The game and networks have jumped the shark by doubling down on shows like TFS that have been failing for years because people are starting to look on other platforms for the information they crave about the game they love.

Teaching young people the nuances of AFL football allows them to come into the league better prepared.

Teaching older people the nuances of current AFL football allows them to emotionally invest in their passion which equals $$.

The AFL and networks are cutting their own throats on this one IMO.

There are different audiences. A lot of fans may not be interested in analysis side and may just want it simple. Though what’s on offer seems a little too simple.

But agree with you, still a huge gap in those shows that provide some kind of deeper analysis.

The biggest problem is gameday, Channel 7 especially, absolute amateur hour.

In the NFL, the former players who analyse have off camera helpers in the booth with them and they quickly review what’s just happened and pass on info. Or relevant stats.

Here they just put 2-4 who have done bigger all research and just talk in generalisations.

I’m not a fan of McLachlan as host of Game Day, I like Talking Footy but not a big Darcy fan, I would prefer Sam McClure as host for either/both.

Any other suggestions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SFS is alright, actually talks about footy. As someone mentioned before game day is targeted at your less hardcore footy fans. Nat Edwards makes Hamish look like Parkinson, no disrespect but she is woeful.

They're basically paid programming for their sponsors so both are crap. You don't learn anything and the panelists pretend to argue with each other.

I’m not a fan of McLachlan as host of Game Day, I like Talking Footy but not a big Darcy fan, I would prefer Sam McClure as host for either/both.

Any other suggestions?

For what it’s worth I would have JB as Talking Footy host, McClure as Game Day host - then keep Tony Jones as the Sunday footy show host, good banter with TJ as host.

Has anyone got the ratings comparisons?

I was spewin' when Any Given Sunday lost Brayshaw, Lyon and Newman. It could be funny at times, with Sam being looser and not constrained by Eddie, as he could be on The Footy Show. It only lasted one season before Eddie went to run Ch 9, meaning Lyon and Brayshaw shipped off to host The Footy Show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Any_Given_Sunday_(TV_series)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back