News Burgess quits, returns to EPL with Arsenal, joins Melbourne, looks to be heading to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe they are forming a parent club partnership with Arsenal like Melbourne City with Man City. So Arsenal provide guidance with establishing the club and gives it some funding credibility.
Nah the Southern Expansion is about tapping into rich soccer history in south Sydney, in particular St George area and Wollongong area, and the old St George Budapest soccer club.

After WWII a lot of Hungarian migrants lived down that part of Sydney and set up Budapest Club which became St George Budapest and ended up as the Saint George Saints when it last played in the old NSL nearly 30 years ago. [Frank Lowy is a Hungarian jew and he was associated with Hakoah club a Jewish/Maccabi club based at Bondi Beach which ended up as Sydney City]. They were the first or second soccer club in Sydney to get a big licensed pokies venue in the late 1960's and that helped fund further junior development and the recruiting of players.

Johnny Warren moved there from Canterbury club when he 19 or 20 in 1963 before the pokies. The pokies money let St George employ Australia's first full time soccer coach Frank Arok another Hungarian migrant. Arok left and Rale Rasic was both St George and Socceroos coach for a couple of years in the build up to the 1974 World Cup. At its peak, St George were regularly providing 9, 10 and 11 players for the Socceroos squad during that period. In one of the 1974 World Cup games, 5 St George players started the game which was a then world record for any club representatives starting a world cup game. Many of these St George players didnt have Hungarian heritage.

After Rasic left, other coaches were appointed but a few years later Frank Arok came back as St George coach, coached them to the 1983 NSL title and he too coached the Socceroos for 5 or 6 years thru the mid and late 1980's after winning that 1983 title.

St George was Les Murray's team, its where he met Johhny Warren and their friendship blossomed and its why he was one of the key backers of this bid before he passed away. Of all the old NSL teams wanting to get back on to the national stage, this is probably the best community wide bid, because its foundation is the rich history of St George, but spreads its wings wider than just the Hungarian community and have embraced the Wollongong area which used to have its own team the Wollongong Wolves in the NSL for over 2 decades, right up to the last year of the NSL.

If you know your rugby league, they are sort of doing what the St George - Illawarra Dragons merger did for the southern part of Sydney, but here the Southern Expansion don't have a team based in Cronulla to have to work around, they just sweep up that area as part of their catchment.

The Arsenal majority owner Stan Kroenke - stopped a couple of Russian oligarchs trying to control Arsenal - does own the Colorado Rapids in the MLS and LA Rams in the NFL, as well as other sporting teams/assets, so there might be some relationship down the track, but it wont be a City Football Group type relationship.

Last edited:

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I always find the ignore button works well if someone’s posts are annoying you.
I do this on occasion also respect other people’s rights to post as they see fit.
I find some posters are rude to other posters.
My posts are usually not disrespectful and I don’t deride other posters for their content
Out of my last approx 60 post I have posted roughly 6 times independently about the Crows team, I have commented several times on other posters comments on the Crows, and the other times I have posted on Port and other teams, the ladder etc.
I won’t be changing for you or anyone.

'Southern Expansion' is just the syndicate name, right - not what they'd be calling their A-League team?

"lol - wot's an Expansion!"
Yep. They are going to have a fans competition to name them - just like Western Sydney did.

Its no different to GC17 when the AFL said they were doing a feasibility study to see if they could get a team on the GC and that was the title for the working party.

Southy McSouthface
Here you go here is Les and Tomo explaining the bid.

Ford Fairlane the Chinese are involved so another reason why no Arsenal doing a City Football Group.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-...-a-league-bid-les-murray-craig-foster/8328802
The club is backed by a Chinese property company, Jia Yuan, and Murray said that $12 million in bank guarantees had been secured for operating capital "to demonstrate to the FFA that the funding is there for the project."Games would be split among three venues — Shark Park in Cronulla, Jubilee Oval in Kogarah and Wollongong Showground. Murray also said the group was also giving "serious consideration" to building the club's own stadium in the region.

Last edited:
Here you go here is Les and Tomo explaining the bid.

Ford Fairlane the Chinese are involved so another reason why no Arsenal doing a City Football Group.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-...-a-league-bid-les-murray-craig-foster/8328802
The club is backed by a Chinese property company, Jia Yuan, and Murray said that $12 million in bank guarantees had been secured for operating capital "to demonstrate to the FFA that the funding is there for the project."Games would be split among three venues — Shark Park in Cronulla, Jubilee Oval in Kogarah and Wollongong Showground. Murray also said the group was also giving "serious consideration" to building the club's own stadium in the region.

They should bring back Steelers!
Southern Steelers
Sydney Steelers
South Sydney Steelers

Yep. They are going to have a fans competition to name them - just like Western Sydney did.

Southern Rabbitohs - clearing the Royal National Park of invasive wildlife since ... whenever.

Or the Steely Paprika Shark-Dragons, recognising the imaginary and real animals of the clubs of the region along with its industrial and social heritage. Fire-breathing shark logo in smoky-paprika red and steely grey is sure to be a marketing winner ;)

[OT: speaking of odd hybrids, what ever were “The Cartel” going to call themselves if their AFL bid got up in 1994? The Mighty Mighty Medellins? The Cali Campaigners?]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Nah the Southern Expansion is about tapping into rich soccer history in south Sydney, in particular St George area and Wollongong area, and the old St George Budapest soccer club.

After WWII a lot of Hungarian migrants lived down that part of Sydney and set up Budapest Club which became St George Budapest and ended up as the Saint George Saints when it last played in the old NSL nearly 30 years ago. [Frank Lowy is a Hungarian jew and he was associated with Hakoah club a Jewish/Maccabi club based at Bondi Beach which ended up as Sydney City]. They were the first or second soccer club in Sydney to get a big licensed pokies venue in the late 1960's and that helped fund further junior development and the recruiting of players.

Johnny Warren moved there from Canterbury club when he 19 or 20 in 1963 before the pokies. The pokies money let St George employ Australia's first full time soccer coach Frank Arok another Hungarian migrant. Arok left and Rale Rasic was both St George and Socceroos coach for a couple of years in the build up to the 1974 World Cup. At its peak, St George were regularly providing 9, 10 and 11 players for the Socceroos squad during that period. In one of the 1974 World Cup games, 5 St George players started the game which was a then world record for any club representatives starting a world cup game. Many of these St George players didnt have Hungarian heritage.

After Rasic left, other coaches were appointed but a few years later Frank Arok came back as St George coach, coached them to the 1983 NSL title and he too coached the Socceroos for 5 or 6 years thru the mid and late 1980's after winning that 1983 title.

St George was Les Murray's team, its where he met Johhny Warren and their friendship blossomed and its why he was one of the key backers of this bid before he passed away. Of all the old NSL teams wanting to get back on to the national stage, this is probably the best community wide bid, because its foundation is the rich history of St George, but spreads its wings wider than just the Hungarian community and have embraced the Wollongong area which used to have its own team the Wollongong Wolves in the NSL for over 2 decades, right up to the last year of the NSL.

If you know your rugby league, they are sort of doing what the St George - Illawarra Dragons merger did for the southern part of Sydney, but here the Southern Expansion don't have a team based in Cronulla to have to work around, they just sweep up that area as part of their catchment.

The Arsenal majority owner Stan Kroenke - stopped a couple of Russian oligarchs trying to control Arsenal - does own the Colorado Rapids in the MLS and LA Rams in the NFL, as well as other sporting teams/assets, so there might be some relationship down the track, but it wont be a City Football Group type relationship.
Rasic Arok Warren.... takes me back to watching NSL games with my dad on the outer at Hindmarsh. Good times.

Rasic Arok Warren.... takes me back to watching NSL games with my dad on the outer at Hindmarsh. Good times.
Yeah, despite the ethnic nature of the NSL there was still something raw and tribal about it and going to watch Adelaide city or West Adelaide at Hindmarsh, just like going to watch Port at Alberton or a suburban ground.

You quoting me reminds me I saw a tweet from Southern Expansion this morning saying that The Evening Standard newspaper in the UK picked up the Burgo to become their adviser story correctly not like The Daily Cannon reported he is leaving to work with the Southern Expansion. The story is linked below and basically copies what the press release back on 13 July said, but this bit at the end caught my eye

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...stralian-aleague-expansion-side-a3900306.html
Burgess has undertaken a significant overhaul of Arsenal’s fitness work since his appointment just over a year ago, most notably hiring one of the brains behind Candy Crush in Mikhail Zhilkin to use data to optimise performance and minimise injuries in Unai Emery’s first team.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...stralian-aleague-expansion-side-a3900306.html

Is that Candy Crush the free puzzle game you play on your phone?? If so it seems strange at first but i guess if you a mathematician or IT expert good at writing long complex algorithms, crunching sports data isn't that much different. But a bit different and good on Burgo for finding him.

Ok did some digging and yep that's him and Burgo appointed him 2 weeks ago. Here is the Evening Standard's story about appointment

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ntist-to-work-on-player-fitness-a3891616.html

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Yeah, despite the ethnic nature of the NSL there was still something raw and tribal about it and going to watch Adelaide city or West Adelaide at Hindmarsh, just like going to watch Port at Alberton or a suburban ground.

You quoting me reminds me I saw a tweet from Southern Expansion this morning saying that The Evening Standard newspaper in the UK picked up the Burgo to become their adviser story correctly not like The Daily Cannon reported he is leaving to work with the Southern Expansion. The story is linked below and basically copies what the press release back on 13 July said, but this bit at the end caught my eye

Burgess has undertaken a significant overhaul of Arsenal’s fitness work since his appointment just over a year ago, most notably hiring one of the brains behind Candy Crush in Mikhail Zhilkin to use data to optimise performance and minimise injuries in Unai Emery’s first team.

Is that Candy Crush the free puzzle game you play on your phone?? If so it seems strange at first but i guess if you a mathematician or IT expert good at writing long complex algorithms, crunching sports data isn't that much different. But a bit different and good on Burgo for finding him.

Ok did some digging and yep that's him and Burgo appointed him 2 weeks ago. Here is the Evening Standard's story about appointment

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ntist-to-work-on-player-fitness-a3891616.html

The mathematicians who can identify the lead/causal/success factors creating high performance rather than the statistics correlating with high performance, are worth their weight in gold in any industry or discipline.

I've had a serious "amateur" attempt for Aussie Rules (mainly to improve my tipping!) and you can get lost chasing down a rabbit hole very very easily.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Arsenal clearly didn’t buy into his 3 year plan to cook their players.

Someone cut the phone lines at Alberton please.
Had a chat with Russell Ebert at a 2015(?) pre-season game v Westies at Richmond and he was filthy at the work load put on our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back