List Mgmt. James Gallagher - New St.Kilda List Manager

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
His job is to manage the contracts of the people on the list i.e. not giving Minch and Wright two year deals back in 2016.

He doesn't need to know much about picking players for the draft

You miss the point. What we need to do is to improve our ability to pick players. Managing contracts is not the problem we need to address except when a football judgement is required. Bains stuffed up in this regard, and so being able to judge talent is important here too.

But what we most need to get right is to improve our ability to identify talent and so far nothing significant has been announced or even hinted at so far. Indeed from what has been said so far there is to be no significant change in the personnel that decide who we get.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
At least we did just grab some random that hasn't done the job before. ;)
One thing is he hasn't burnt anyone yet - in the transfer game - so people will be willing to talk to him.
1/ football experience
2/ accountant

shrewd selection - to get someone who is good at finance and a wealth of football experience

But what we most need to get right is to improve our ability to identify talent and so far nothing significant has been announced or even hinted at so far. Indeed from what has been said so far there is to be no significant change in the personnel that decide who we get.

This.
Does any insider know what this Libba guy is like? Does he know his stuff?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
You miss the point. What we need to do is to improve our ability to pick players. Managing contracts is not the problem we need to address except when a football judgement is required. Bains stuffed up in this regard, and so being able to judge talent is important here too.

Thats a different role than the one we were just hiring for.
Chris Liberatore was prompted into that head position earlier in the year. And our past few drafts are looking quite good early so recent changes we have made in that space look promising.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why would GC stump up more than bare minimum is what I'm saying,
Just say the the club views him as a bust like most here and offer at best a 1yr extension, all whilst GC are talking to Mav about playing up there, they need the bigger body's and more experience, they have heaps of talent and cash after losing May/Lynch/Hall and offer 2 years at similar money.

Mav's value as a player might be a 4th rounder but the fact that he is OOC diminishes that, and the only reason GC would trade instead of seeing him through the pre season draft is to expedite the process.
Mat Mann l think your logic is right but it's just not how the system works. If GC are "interested" in Bleach (and visa versa) they will have spoken to his manager, who will ask the saints to facilitate a trade. Players rely on employment the same as the rest of us, and they are employed by the AFL, then contacted to clubs IIRC. The system of trading players has to be done within the bounds of lawful treatment of employees and what you're suggesting is that GC would convince Mav into becoming unemployed on the promise they'd pick him up with a late pick. Would you put yourself in that position? What if there was someone better available and Mav were to fall out of the systems entirely? It's just not done like that for multiple substantial reasons.

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hope not as the Wolf made a huge fortune by defrauding wealthy investors out of millions

I thought he defrauded innocent penny stock investors, which is far worse.

Either way, bloke was a total kent (still is) and I think most people who watch that movie completely miss the point.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool

He has zero list management experience but the role is now perceived to be requiring a commercial background. Managing contracts, salary cap planning, budgeting and strategy.

Presumably Chris Liberatore’s team will analyse the talent identification and assessment for both drafting and recruitment.

Interesting model. As long as Liberatore’s department are resourced with sufficient expertise and technology. Time will tell.

Apr 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Victory, Storm
But Ameet the genius did that...

Ameet was lauded as a freak when he reportedly nailed the Carlisle/gresham pick 14 deal and then the hawks trade to turn 10 into 24, 36 and the next year's pick 8.

He is a genius. A genius who is now the CEO of an afl club.

Wright and minch 2 year deals. Probably needed them to fills spots on the list knowing roo and joey were likely going to retire. Its called planning..
But I suppose you like most on here would rather 2 now draftees at picks 85 and 65 so you can then rant on how the drafting is no good?

Give bainsy a spell !

Mat Mann l think your logic is right but it's just not how the system works. If GC are "interested" in Bleach (and visa versa) they will have spoken to his manager, who will ask the saints to facilitate a trade. Players rely on employment the same as the rest of us, and they are employed by the AFL, then contacted to clubs IIRC. The system of trading players has to be done within the bounds of lawful treatment of employees and what you're suggesting is that GC would convince Mav into becoming unemployed on the promise they'd pick him up with a late pick. Would you put yourself in that position? What if there was someone better available and Mav were to fall out of the systems entirely? It's just not done like that for multiple substantial reasons.

this is hypothetical that GC actually wants him but lets continue the premise,
Mav is currently OOC, and lets say the Saints are happy to see him go, GC want him Mav is happy to go to GC.

where you fall down is that whilst Mav may have a contract, it will expire and St Kilda has no obligation to re contract him, that's called being de listed.

Why would GC want to offer a 3rd/4th round pick when they could offer a 6th+ or even say we'll grab you as a de listed FA or we'll grab you in the Pre season draft as we have pick 2 or 3. Meaning they spend no National Draft picks and St Kilda gets nothing.

Clubs will trade OOC players simply to facilitate a move with little fanfare and to smooth over relations for deals that may be harder to facilitate.
players get passed over all the time after being told x club was interested
Same as Geelong did with Chapman to Essendon ( pick 84), Johnson to GWS,( 5th round) they didn't want the players but the other clubs did, trades were made simply to ease the passage. Mitchell to WCE (pick 88)

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
maybe the pure list managing aint that hard, rather having contacts in places that helps our marquee free agents make fat returns on their investments is a big part of the job? with the kind of TPP we're currently rockin, anyone could manage that list. in fact we're havin to pay overs just to hit the minimum

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't know enough about anything to know if this was smart or not. I'll continue to avoid any questions regarding my feelings so whether he is successful or not I'll be able to position myself expertly to make it look like I knew all along it was either a good or bad decision.
It's a win win for me, as far as I'm concerned and that should be seen as a good thing by all of you.

Seriously though, I really hope this is a good appointment. I hope Lethlean is taking his job as seriously as I feel he could be. I used to think Lethlean was just hanging around waiting for something better but I'm starting to think he has put his skin in this game and that's a good thing.

Ameet was lauded as a freak when he reportedly nailed the Carlisle/gresham pick 14 deal and then the hawks trade to turn 10 into 24, 36 and the next year's pick 8.

He is a genius. A genius who is now the CEO of an afl club.

Wright and minch 2 year deals. Probably needed them to fills spots on the list knowing roo and joey were likely going to retire. Its called planning..
But I suppose you like most on here would rather 2 now draftees at picks 85 and 65 so you can then rant on how the drafting is no good?

Give bainsy a spell !
the minimum # of players on the main list is 38
the Maximum is 40, draftees and Rookies carry a 2 year initial contract period
minimum 3 DP's ( 1 may be rookie upgrade )

whilst we all question the 2 year deals the other options were players in the 5th and 6 rounds of the draft which we have to carry anyhow for 2 years.
stuffed if you do and stuffed if you don't, at the minimum Minch and Co. had the capacity to step into the side and be comparatively competitive, Verses 1st/2nd year kids that aren't even in the top 80+ of their draft year.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
this is hypothetical that GC actually wants him but lets continue the premise,
Mav is currently OOC, and lets say the Saints are happy to see him go, GC want him Mav is happy to go to GC.

where you fall down is that whilst Mav may have a contract, it will expire and St Kilda has no obligation to re contract him, that's called being de listed.

Why would GC want to offer a 3rd/4th round pick when they could offer a 6th+ or even say we'll grab you as a de listed FA or we'll grab you in the Pre season draft as we have pick 2 or 3. Meaning they spend no National Draft picks and St Kilda gets nothing.

Clubs will trade OOC players simply to facilitate a move with little fanfare and to smooth over relations for deals that may be harder to facilitate.
players get passed over all the time after being told x club was interested
Same as Geelong did with Chapman to Essendon ( pick 84), Johnson to GWS,( 5th round) they didn't want the players but the other clubs did, trades were made simply to ease the passage. Mitchell to WCE (pick 88)
Perhaps I've missed some previous discussion, but I havent seen anyone seriously suggest Bleach is worth more than a junk pick anyway. GC have trouble attracting players and will pay slight overs for him even if he is a shitruck. But whose to say what overs is anyway so pick 100 may be the price as you say, but delistment "won't" happen in the normal course or things.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
whilst we all question the 2 year deals the other options were players in the 5th and 6 rounds of the draft which we have to carry anyhow for 2 years.

No, because we could have just re-signed the guys for another year a year later.

Anyway, late picks in last year's draft included: Zac Langdon, Guelfi, Hartung, Jarrod Garlett, Crowden. Or rookies like Bailey Banfield, Billy Gowers, Holman, Mihocek. I would rather any of them than Wright and Minch, not because they're stars, but because they might be good players and I'm confident those two won't be.

Back