List Mgmt. James Gallagher - New St.Kilda List Manager

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ameet was lauded as a freak when he reportedly nailed the Carlisle/gresham pick 14 deal and then the hawks trade to turn 10 into 24, 36 and the next year's pick 8.

He is a genius. A genius who is now the CEO of an afl club.

Wright and minch 2 year deals. Probably needed them to fills spots on the list knowing roo and joey were likely going to retire. Its called planning..
But I suppose you like most on here would rather 2 now draftees at picks 85 and 65 so you can then rant on how the drafting is no good?

Give bainsy a spell !

Lol.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
They are desperate of experienced players that want to be on their list. I can't imagine there will be too many to choose from, do you?

Last year's delistings included a lot of experienced players:

Lindsay Thomas
Josh Hill
Sharrod Wellingham
Matt White
Nick Suban
Craig Bird
Heath Hocking
Ben Howlett
Rhys Palmer
Taylor Hunt
Stewart Crameri
etc

There'll be plenty more this year. These guys are similar calibre to Mav and some would be willing to move across the country for another shot.

Sep 19, 2011
Moorabin
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gut feel or ITK?
I really thought they would have been looking to replace Sexton and Kingsley. They been around a while and lets face it Sexton as Director of Coaching hasnt reinvented the game if anything our game plan has been too slow changing.
Kingsley has been coaching different roles for years without much improvement in his area and we have gone backwards with him as a senior assistant.
I cant understand how they stay on.
So maybe there will be more cuts.

Snailspace13

Club Legend
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Last year's delistings included a lot of experienced players:

Lindsay Thomas
Josh Hill
Sharrod Wellingham
Matt White
Nick Suban
Craig Bird
Heath Hocking
Ben Howlett
Rhys Palmer
Taylor Hunt
Stewart Crameri
etc

There'll be plenty more this year. These guys are similar calibre to Mav and some would be willing to move across the country for another shot.
Yes there will be plenty more this season,and thats why we must make at least 2 trades to have 3 decent picks at the Draft.
If we cant get a couple of really decent players into the club via the Trade Period by offering some good money,then we need to have the fall back of Picking up 2,3 or 4 players who are more valuable than those we delist,with our current latter picks, or we even get them from DFA list.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
No, because we could have just re-signed the guys for another year a year later.

Anyway, late picks in last year's draft included: Zac Langdon, Guelfi, Hartung, Jarrod Garlett, Crowden. Or rookies like Bailey Banfield, Billy Gowers, Holman, Mihocek. I would rather any of them than Wright and Minch, not because they're stars, but because they might be good players and I'm confident those two won't be.
By doing two year deals you can manipulate the salary cap - increased year 1 to hit minimum spend I imagine

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Let's talk about the new list manager anyway. Mav get enough air time on the trade thread.
So, according to George the guy is a total Kent. Discuss....

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
this is hypothetical that GC actually wants him but lets continue the premise,
Mav is currently OOC, and lets say the Saints are happy to see him go, GC want him Mav is happy to go to GC.

where you fall down is that whilst Mav may have a contract, it will expire and St Kilda has no obligation to re contract him, that's called being de listed.

Why would GC want to offer a 3rd/4th round pick when they could offer a 6th+ or even say we'll grab you as a de listed FA or we'll grab you in the Pre season draft as we have pick 2 or 3. Meaning they spend no National Draft picks and St Kilda gets nothing.

Clubs will trade OOC players simply to facilitate a move with little fanfare and to smooth over relations for deals that may be harder to facilitate.
players get passed over all the time after being told x club was interested
Same as Geelong did with Chapman to Essendon ( pick 84), Johnson to GWS,( 5th round) they didn't want the players but the other clubs did, trades were made simply to ease the passage. Mitchell to WCE (pick 88)
The issue with Mav is that I reckon unless we get some better picks I think he will be a required player next season so even if GC don't want him I reckon he'll get another year as we don't have anything decent to replace him with.

The Enemy Within

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Enterprise NCC-1701
AFL Club
St Kilda
The only way I see Weller being traded is if 1: GC want him; & 2. They want to get him on their list at the earliest convenience.

As a DFA I think it would mean that he couldn’t train & start with GC until a bit later on in the list lodgement period.

IMO Weller will go to GC for a pick that will unlikely be used such as pick 80+

We ain’t playing hard ball trading Weller lmao
Under rating his market value @ 27 years of age around 100 games he will net at least a pick around 40, Mav is still getting a regular game & if GC want him he then becomes a valuable player to them.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Let's talk about the new list manager anyway. Mav get enough air time on the trade thread.
So, according to George the guy is a total Kent. Discuss....
I wonder if part for his role will be to source 3rd party deals for players.....would be in keeping with his experience. Commercial managers are more likely to contact you because they have a table at the Melbourne Cup than a great loan rate....

Apr 12, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
this is hypothetical that GC actually wants him but lets continue the premise,
Mav is currently OOC, and lets say the Saints are happy to see him go, GC want him Mav is happy to go to GC.

where you fall down is that whilst Mav may have a contract, it will expire and St Kilda has no obligation to re contract him, that's called being de listed.

Why would GC want to offer a 3rd/4th round pick when they could offer a 6th+ or even say we'll grab you as a de listed FA or we'll grab you in the Pre season draft as we have pick 2 or 3. Meaning they spend no National Draft picks and St Kilda gets nothing.

Clubs will trade OOC players simply to facilitate a move with little fanfare and to smooth over relations for deals that may be harder to facilitate.
players get passed over all the time after being told x club was interested
Same as Geelong did with Chapman to Essendon ( pick 84), Johnson to GWS,( 5th round) they didn't want the players but the other clubs did, trades were made simply to ease the passage. Mitchell to WCE (pick 88)

Yes, st kilda could still offer Mav a (less than lucrative) contract and tell GC that he is still a required player (he's not our 40th worst). If GC want him then they have to satisfy us with a trade, otherwise they and Mav have to risk the Pre season draft. OOC means nothing. Wasn't Lever OOC last year?

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wonder if part for his role will be to source 3rd party deals for players.....would be in keeping with his experience. Commercial managers are more likely to contact you because they have a table at the Melbourne Cup than a great loan rate....
Yeah mt I think there's some of that in it somewhere. As a few have pointed out so far the guy is from the banking sector, so I'm assuming his moral compass does not point true north, though it gives the bloke the right managerial experience and he's going to have a head for numbers. That position does not require him to have an eye for talent, just a future thinking mind and an ear for bullshit. Time will tell, but based on his CV he looks the goods to me.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Stuff Liam Gallagher! Spoilt tosser who would fracture the club within 5 mins!
I'm hoping he'll be more like big Norm Gallagher ex BLF leader. Campaigner shook up the place.
Turned his crappy union into a giant big hitter that played by it's own rules!
Anyone who disagreed....Disappeared! Yeah why not. Let's be feared overlords of the game.
Maybe by being the underbelly Saints we may get the success we crave!
Make whatever it takes...Look like a nursery rhyme!

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Under rating his market value @ 27 years of age around 100 games he will net at least a pick around 40, Mav is still getting a regular game & if GC want him he then becomes a valuable player to them.
His form prob says he doesn’t deserve a regular game and that’s a bottom side. Still I hope we get something from the Gold Coast.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
No doubt some managerial multi-tasking to be going on at the Saints due to budget constraints. JG with his financial background will be doing lots of other things not related to list management I suspect, and that's why he got the gig.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Ameet was lauded as a freak when he reportedly nailed the Carlisle/gresham pick 14 deal and then the hawks trade to turn 10 into 24, 36 and the next year's pick 8.

He is a genius. A genius who is now the CEO of an afl club.

Wright and minch 2 year deals. Probably needed them to fills spots on the list knowing roo and joey were likely going to retire. Its called planning..
But I suppose you like most on here would rather 2 now draftees at picks 85 and 65 so you can then rant on how the drafting is no good?

Give bainsy a spell !

On a scale of what has gone wrong with our list with player development and everything else that has de-railed this season, the 2 year deals that Wright & Meatball signed are totally insignificant.

Bains helped rebuild an absolute basket case of a list with a number shrewd trades and signings. Trout may have picked too conservatively on draft night and a number havent come on as we would have liked them to but we should never forget how bare the cupboard of young talent was in 2012.

Long Live Ameetos

Thats a different role than the one we were just hiring for.
Chris Liberatore was prompted into that head position earlier in the year. And our past few drafts are looking quite good early so recent changes we have made in that space look promising.

I would have got someone fresh even if Libba has some recent good form. He's learnt his trade from a guy who was inexperienced. It's like hiring a plumber who was apprenticed to a street sweeper that was running a backyard plumbing business.

Back