Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

One argument against that is that across the board clubs have more drawing power early in the year when all fans have hope. I haven't checked the records but I'd expect that to be reflected in attendances. If the club has a s**t year (like this year) the best attendances and the biggest opportunities to sell membership will be at the early home games. If two of those games are at Ballarat it puts a slight dent in those opportunities.

That could be one reason to go with one early game and one late one, say Rd 22.

IF and that is a big IF, the AFL is genuine in wanting to assist this venture we could play a 1.10 Sunday game in April and a 1.10 Saturday game on the weekend in may when nearly all local leagues have a bye in May. Also at that stage of the season we will still be live in the race for the finals.

There have been many fantastic suggestions in this thread on how to make it work. My concern is a lot of things that should have been foreseen by our club before jumping into this agreement were not overly complex at all. This is why I come across as negative as these things were not teething problems, they were obvious issues if you genuinely want to grow your club.

IF this is to work there are 5 stakeholders that need to have the same genuine commitment to the project.

- Us to ensure greater community engagement particularly away from game day

- The AFL to schedule the fixture at the optimum time

- The council to ensure facilities they control are up to scratch as well as movement in and out of the stadium. Also, make sure the game day is an event and package it up for a weekend not just game day. It should also look at constructing the train station across form the ground if this is to be the area's sports precinct

- The State government. Fund stage 2 to get the stadium up to AFL standard and minimum capacity of 15,000 with at least 10,000 seats(Instead of having a mound in the outer properer terracing would add capacity at lower cost)

- Public transport providers. Make sure those travelling to the game can seamlessly get to and from the game. The wait after the game at Ballarat station was unacceptable from all reports. I experienced this for our JLT game but at least the weather was good and it was light)

As the club who have signed this agreement BEFORE all of these things were put in place, IF we want this to work we need to be the facilitators between all groups whilst focusing on all other key area's of operation in the club IF we are genuine about the advised benefits of playing 2 to 3 home games i Ballarat as apposed to other alternatives

Why don't we just do what Port does. Play there but force the other team to be the home team.

"Hey Collingwood. We're playing you in Ballarat for your home game. Ok thanks see you there."

Playing in Ballarat beats playing in Cairns, Darwin or Canberra .
I took the kids to Sovereign Hill last year. 95 ks took me only 1 hour 20 to get there.
When the team starts playing well again and they fix the fixturing/pricing issues hopefully we can enjoy a home ground advantage playing there.

My email summarising the points and suggestions that you guys raised yesterday was forwarded to the State Sports Minister's office, the Minister for Regional Development, the Ballarat Commerce, the Mayor's office, the Western Bulldogs FC, the AFL and the Premier's office.

They all responded positively to your suggestions commending you all. This response from the Ballarat Council sums up the feedback probably the best:

"Dear RG,

Thank you for taking the time to correspond with our Mayor, Councillor Samantha McIntosh. I am the officer responsible for working with the AFL, Bulldogs and the State Government to get a better outcome for our community and the broader population for this terrific venue.

Your thoughts and comments below are incredible and accurate in all aspects. The scheduling of the game late in July and at this time was always risky, particularly as the lighting currently is not up to standard for elite sports. This was expressed to the AFL many months ago however, they felt that a temporary bump in lighting would be sufficient. Compounding things obviously was the weather which was the worst day we’ve had for some time.

You will be encouraged to know that almost word for word your thoughts have been expressed through the development of a Business Case for Stage 2 of Mars. The AFL, Bulldogs and Council all agree that patron amenity is a priority and the AFL in particular agree with our drive to have a unique/boutique facility that reflects Ballarat’s personality.

The Bulldogs are already working to enhance the attractiveness of the venue for members both in terms of pricing and other packages. Programming themed games etc. is also part of this discussion.

RG, I commend you on the insightful thoughts expressed via your email and encourage you to use my office as your point of contact to share any further ideas you may have. The Business Case is being prepared by Ernst & Young and we are nearly at completion of this work in order to pitch the State this very exciting opportunity.

Cheers

Neville Ivey | Director Community Development

City of Ballarat | PO Box 655, Ballarat, Victoria, 3353
P: (03) 5320 5634 | http://www.ballarat.vic.gov.au"

Of interest is the fact that 8500 tickets had been pre-sold to the game, indicating that 2000 chose not to go on the day probably due to the weather.

Last edited:
My email summarising the points and suggestions that you guys raised yesterday was forwarded to the State Sports Minister's office, the Minister for Regional Development, the Ballarat Commerce, the Mayor's office, the Western Bulldogs FC, the AFL and the Premier's office.

They all responded positively to your suggestions commending you all. This response from the Ballarat Council sums up the feedback probably the best:

"Dear RG,

Thank you for taking the time to correspond with our Mayor, Councillor Samantha McIntosh. I am the officer responsible for working with the AFL, Bulldogs and the State Government to get a better outcome for our community and the broader population for this terrific venue.

Your thoughts and comments below are incredible and accurate in all aspects. The scheduling of the game late in July and at this time was always risky, particularly as the lighting currently is not up to standard for elite sports. This was expressed to the AFL many months ago however, they felt that a temporary bump in lighting would be sufficient. Compounding things obviously was the weather which was the worst day we’ve had for some time.

You will be encouraged to know that almost word for word your thoughts have been expressed through the development of a Business Case for Stage 2 of Mars. The AFL, Bulldogs and Council all agree that patron amenity is a priority and the AFL in particular agree with our drive to have a unique/boutique facility that reflects Ballarat’s personality.

The Bulldogs are already working to enhance the attractiveness of the venue for members both in terms of pricing and other packages. Programming themed games etc. is also part of this discussion.

RG, I commend you on the insightful thoughts expressed via your email and encourage you to use my office as your point of contact to share any further ideas you may have. The Business Case is being prepared by Ernst & Young and we are nearly at completion of this work in order to pitch the State this very exciting opportunity.

Cheers

Dear god " themed games " :eek:

" business study " for stage 2 ? Would have thought we would be well beyond that by now.
Sorry but the situation is a shambles.
The world now it seems is indeed run by nuff nuffs.

Dear god " themed games " :eek:

" business study " for stage 2 ? Would have thought we would be well beyond that by now.
Sorry but the situation is a shambles.
The world now it seems is indeed run by nuff nuffs.
The Ballarat Council are likely bullet proofing their case to ensure that any proposals will stand up to scrutiny regardless of who gets elected in the forthcoming State election. Stage 1 was developed hastily and was highly fast-tracked, I am personally happy if they take their time and get Stage 2 right. The second stage appears to be focussing on capacity, lighting and shelter. The 3rd stage really should be just about putting the polish to the venue, like corporate areas, improved pedestrian and PT access and spectator amenities. After all its our tax payer money which will build it and we want to see a vast improvement on the existing facility which we knew had its limitations at the outset. On the subject of theme days, doesn't the AFL have them practically every second round? We have Good Friday, Anzac Round, Indigenous round, Heritage round, Pride round, everything but "See ya round" ... so your point is

Congratulations Roogal for getting off your arse and showing us how to do something constructive instead of just whingeing.

This is actually quite a powerful thing to do. IIRC pollies used to reckon on there being a 1000 people (on average) with a similar view for every letter to the editor and something similar for every letter or phone call they received on general current affairs issues. It demonstrates that one person can make a difference. If the responses from the Sports Minister, the WB, the Premier's office etc are all similar to the above we might yet get a positive outcome.

Of course politics being what it is, nothing is guaranteed so we have to wait and see what they actually end up doing - and when - but at least they have taken notice and responded in fairly enthusiastic terms. Instead of our useful debate fading away in a BF forum you've directed it in a constructive way toward those who might actually be able to do something about the problems raised.

We can all learn a lesson from that.

The Ballarat Council are likely bullet proofing their case to ensure that any proposals will stand up to scrutiny regardless of who gets elected in the forthcoming State election. Stage 1 was developed hastily and was highly fast-tracked, I am personally happy if they take their time and get Stage 2 right. The second stage appears to be focussing on capacity, lighting and shelter. The 3rd stage really should be just about putting the polish to the venue, like corporate areas, improved pedestrian and PT access and spectator amenities. After all its our tax payer money which will build it and we want to see a vast improvement on the existing facility which we knew had its limitations at the outset. On the subject of theme days, doesn't the AFL have them practically every second round? We have Good Friday, Anzac Round, Indigenous round, Heritage round, Pride round, everything but "See ya round" ... so your point is

Maybe it's just me , but I go to the footy to watch the bloody footy .
I don't need a theme to promote the game or to be entertained in some other way.
I will admit I am from a demographic that may belong in a long forgotten era.
So that's my point .
Got any good ideas on what they should call the game ?

I decided long ago not to go to this game for all the reasons that are now obvious. ( went to first one - at the right time of year )
A lot of my mates went , all left around or just after 3/4 time . And all have told me they won't be in a hurry to go back. So these stupid boffins , who I assume want to grow the game in that area decide the best way to do it is schedule a game in the dead of winter and hope for the best !

Would prefer to make a holiday of it , get some sun on my back in Cairns.
Sorry cause I know you are passionate about the development ,but so far people have voted with their feet for both games. Those attendances were embarrasing.

"Dear RG,

Cheers

Of interest is the fact that 8500 tickets had been pre-sold to the game, indicating that 2000 chose not to go on the day probably due to the weather.
Well done RG, and thanks for taking such a keen interest. It's fantastic to see so many people invested in the initiative, particularly given you aren't even a Dogs fan. ☺️

At risk of stoking a conspiracy theory but you seem to have some insight - but what is your view on how much of this was originated by Ballarat City v WB v AFL v State Govt. I’m sure each has their own skin in the game but there is some angle on whether the Govt is looking to build infrastructure in Ballarat for votes leading to AFL jumping on board for cash leading to WB finding themselves the nominated team. I’m not advocating that view but I guess some would speculate on it so just wondered on someone else’s thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t quite decide if I’d like a Kryal Castle or Sovereign Hill themed game but maybe I’m missing the point.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Yes a Medievil theme with a joust-off between the coaches if the game ends up a draw, and public flogging for the losing team, or perhaps rather than report players for dirty play ... perhaps put them in the stocks after game :D:D:D

Nah I was more promoting the idea of a regional Good Friday game which would work to everybody's advantage because it would free up everybody's weekend, or alternatively an ANZAC Day game would not not clash with any other footy schedules (either local or AFL) except the big one at the 'G' which the Bulldogs are likely to never get invited to. Both games are scheduled early in the season which again would work weatherwise.

Americans have themed games across all their sports and leagues almost every week. Been to a few of them . It is not compulsory to get involved. You can choose to attend and just watch the game.

At risk of stoking a conspiracy theory but you seem to have some insight - but what is your view on how much of this was originated by Ballarat City v WB v AFL v State Govt. I’m sure each has their own skin in the game but there is some angle on whether the Govt is looking to build infrastructure in Ballarat for votes leading to AFL jumping on board for cash leading to WB finding themselves the nominated team. I’m not advocating that view but I guess some would speculate on it so just wondered on someone else’s thoughts.
This is my take on it, some based on speculation and much is plain history:

My understanding is that the State Government in some respects are in a panic over the growth of Melbourne. They also realise that Melbourne has for a long time been a great succubus on the State. It draws young people away from smaller communities and in many respects many small towns across Victoria are either struggling or in decline becuase local industries have folded and centralised into Melbourne and so on. The Andrews State Government have invested a lot of money in Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and to a lesser extent in Shepparton and Wodonga to create centralised regional hubs. The State Governments since Steve Bracks have invested almost $1.5 billion since 1999 re-instating and rebuilding regional train services, establishing High Care Cancer Treatment centres in Ballarat, Bendigo and Shepparton to prevent people from the bush travelling to Melbourne. They have re-built the regional Base Hospitals with Ballarat's earmarked for a $600 million re-build. They have re-located many smaller State Government Departments into regional Victoria with the State's Accounting and Finance Centre already located in Ballarat, and a new State Government Hub in the Centre of Ballarat about to be built where 14 State Government Departments and Agencies and 700 public servants will be re-located. VicRoads is also earmarked to be re-located although a suitable city has not yet been announced, but it will involve shifting the HQ and 600 staff out of Melbourne and to either Geelong, Ballarat or Bendigo.

The government are providing all manner of incentives for business to relocate into the country, only last week 'Luv a Duck' announced that they are relocating from Melbourne to Ballarat and building a massive new warehousing facility along with their factory.

The government have also invested very heavily in regional sporting infrastructure too. They are trying to turn the tide of belief in elite players in many sports codes that Melbourne is the only show in town in Victoria. To this extent massive new basketball/netball indoor arenas have been built or are being built in Bendigo and Ballarat, new hockey and soccer complexes have been built. All re-developed ovals are now being complemented by new all weather netball courts, and many country ovals have lighting for either training or for games.

About nine years ago the idea of re-developing Ballarat's Northern Oval as a possible AFL and Cricket venue was first touted by the Ballarat Chamber of Commerce. The idea gather momemtum very quickly when North Melbourne FC jumped on board and stated that they would support AFL games in Ballarat and were prepared to play seasonal H&A games there at a suitable venue. The Ballarat Courier quickly jumped on board and began a campaign of promoting it. In 2010 it became an election issue when the then Premier John Brumby delared that if elected the State Government would spend $45 million building a 20,000 capacity facility. This at the time was on the back of Australia's World Soccer Cup Bid and the AFL and Government realising that they needed alternate grounds in Victoria beyond Etihad, the MCG and Kardinia Park which were all earmarked as World Cup stadiums.

Mr Brumby did not get elected, and instead the new Liberal Government quickly canned the idea of AFL in Ballarat, but the idea was not killed in Ballarat. many continued to lobby the State Government and in 2014 Dan Andrews made it an election pledge for Ballarat that football would be played within 2 years of him elected. Hence the fast tracking of getting Stage 1 of Mars Stadium built. Stage 1 was a bloody miracle, it got approved, designed and built all in the space of 12 months where as normally that would take three years. However, because it was fast tracked and built on a slim budget there were compromises and limitations and those became evident last weekend.

Their intention is that Mars Stadium will not replace any existing stadiums but will be used to compliment the AFL at a lower level but will become a hub of excellence for regional Victoria. It is now used frequently by non-Ballarat TAC Cup teams, is earmarked to be an AFLW arena, and will likely in time become the AFL Goldfields HQ.

Last edited:
Americans have themed games across all their sports and leagues almost every week. Been to a few of them . It is not compulsory to get involved. You can choose to attend and just watch the game.
I choose to not be American.

Why do our decision makers always have to go with what those turkeys do?

This is my take on it, some based on speculation and much is plain history......
Really appreciate the updates, many thanks Roogal.

Was there any feedback given to you in relation to the potential development of a train station near the corner of Creswick Rd and Howitt St? There is ample room if the crown land near the Gregory St dead-end is used. This would be significant not just for live matches at Mars Stadium but for the local community at large. There are not enough train stations in Ballarat as it is, let alone to cater for the significant population growth planned over the next 20 years.

Draft, salary cap. We have been copying the Americans for ever.
As I said , not compulsory. Just rock up and watch the game.
Themed rounds are a total disgrace. Make the game good to watch and the people will come. Once the decision is made that theatre is the way to bring people to watch, the point has been lost.

No feedback in relation to the train platform, but I know that the outgoing Member for Wendouree (North Ballarat) is a major supporter of it. The Lady taking her place as the Labor candidate for the next State Election (Julianna Addison) is of a very similar ilk and mindset.

Themed rounds are a total disgrace. Make the game good to watch and the people will come. Once the decision is made that theatre is the way to bring people to watch, the point has been lost.
Themed rounds from the AFL point of view just means to promote awareness of events and causes. The main ones for the AFL are Anzac Day and Good Friday which serve the cause well because good money is raised toward Legacy and of course RCH. I'm happy to wear a pink ribbon to support the LGTBIQ community on one weekend and white ribbon to promote awareness of domestic violence another. I have no problems with the indigenous round because it makes us all reflect upon the marvellous contribution that indigenous players have made to the game and it helps to promote racial issues.

I'm certainly not talking about having a Toga Day, or for Ballarat - a Wear your best ski gear day ;).

You will probably hate going to "Marvel" stadium then.
Get ready for more regular themed games.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Yes a Medievil theme with a joust-off between the coaches if the game ends up a draw, and public flogging for the losing team, or perhaps rather than report players for dirty play ... perhaps put them in the stocks after game :D:D:D

Nah I was more promoting the idea of a regional Good Friday game which would work to everybody's advantage because it would free up everybody's weekend, or alternatively an ANZAC Day game would not not clash with any other footy schedules (either local or AFL) except the big one at the 'G' which the Bulldogs are likely to never get invited to. Both games are scheduled early in the season which again would work weatherwise.
A joust instead of a ballup certainly would make for an entertaining start to a game. Chopping the arms may also take on a different context.

This is my take on it, some based on speculation and much is plain history:

My understanding is that the State Government in some respects are in a panic over the growth of Melbourne. They also realise that Melbourne has for a long time been a great succubus on the State. It draws young people away from smaller communities and in many respects many small towns across Victoria are either struggling or in decline becuase local industries have folded and centralised into Melbourne and so on. The Andrews State Government have invested a lot of money in Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and to a lesser extent in Shepparton and Wodonga to create centralised regional hubs. The State Governments since Steve Bracks have invested almost $1.5 billion since 1999 re-instating and rebuilding regional train services, establishing High Care Cancer Treatment centres in Ballarat, Bendigo and Shepparton to prevent people from the bush travelling to Melbourne. They have re-built the regional Base Hospitals with Ballarat's earmarked for a $600 million re-build. They have re-located many smaller State Government Departments into regional Victoria with the State's Accounting and Finance Centre already located in Ballarat, and a new State Government Hub in the Centre of Ballarat about to be built where 14 State Government Departments and Agencies and 700 public servants will be re-located. VicRoads is also earmarked to be re-located although a suitable city has not yet been announced, but it will involve shifting the HQ and 600 staff out of Melbourne and to either Geelong, Ballarat or Bendigo.

The government are providing all manner of incentives for business to relocate into the country, only last week 'Luv a Duck' announced that they are relocating from Melbourne to Ballarat and building a massive new warehousing facility along with their factory.

The government have also invested very heavily in regional sporting infrastructure too. They are trying to turn the tide of belief in elite players in many sports codes that Melbourne is the only show in town in Victoria. To this extent massive new basketball/netball indoor arenas have been built or are being built in Bendigo and Ballarat, new hockey and soccer complexes have been built. All re-developed ovals are now being complemented by new all weather netball courts, and many country ovals have lighting for either training or for games.

About nine years ago the idea of re-developing Ballarat's Northern Oval as a possible AFL and Cricket venue was first touted by the Ballarat Chamber of Commerce. The idea gather momemtum very quickly when North Melbourne FC jumped on board and stated that they would support AFL games in Ballarat and were prepared to play seasonal H&A games there at a suitable venue. The Ballarat Courier quickly jumped on board and began a campaign of promoting it. In 2010 it became an election issue when the then Premier John Brumby delared that if elected the State Government would spend $45 million building a 20,000 capacity facility. This at the time was on the back of Australia's World Soccer Cup Bid and the AFL and Government realising that they needed alternate grounds in Victoria beyond Etihad, the MCG and Kardinia Park which were all earmarked as World Cup stadiums.

Mr Brumby did not get elected, and instead the new Liberal Government quickly canned the idea of AFL in Ballarat, but the idea was not killed in Ballarat. many continued to lobby the State Government and in 2014 Dan Andrews made it an election pledge for Ballarat that football would be played within 2 years of him elected. Hence the fast tracking of getting Stage 1 of Mars Stadium built. Stage 1 was a bloody miracle, it got approved, designed and built all in the space of 12 months where as normally that would take three years. However, because it was fast tracked and built on a slim budget there were compromises and limitations and those became evident last weekend.

Their intention is that Mars Stadium will not replace any existing stadiums but will be used to compliment the AFL at a lower level but will become a hub of excellence for regional Victoria. It is now used frequently by non-Ballarat TAC Cup teams, is earmarked to be an AFLW arena, and will likely in time become the AFL Goldfields HQ.
Thanks - I appreciate the effort you’ve gone to in that response. Your observations on stage 1 and the pace of it are interesting. Short term perhaps not wise but the glass half full meant it got done which may make it more likely that other stages subsequently get down as well (perhaps I’m naive in saying that - but it’s arguably better than having had stage 1 constantly kicked down the road and delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back