TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd expect Optus' delivery should've improved with the WC debacle, but in the end they just wiped their hands of it and gave it to SBS. That suggests a lack of williness to put major resources in, which matches perfectly for the lack of time and effort they've put into it since they got the PL in the first place.

I hope I'm wrong. Vodaphone eventually fixed their coverage problems.

As long as I’m happy.

Lol. It’s like you have to apologise for having fast internet and no issues with Optus broadcasting the Premier League.

I am with you. No problems at all with the coverage.

https://www.afr.com/business/teleco...ghts-after-world-cup-own-goal-20180802-h13hqj

Optus is believed to have secured local broadcast rights to the UEFA Champions League, doubling down on its strategy to be the Australian home of international football.

The telecommunications provider is sticking to its football-focused content strategy under chief executive Allen Lew, despite a disastrous World Cup campaign that was plagued by technical glitches.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/entertainment/hype/sport/optussport-champions-league.html

original.jpeg

original.jpeg

With 10 channels, I assume they’ll play all UCL and UEL matches live, with another, possibly a live highlights channel, similar to what was on BeIN Connect app...

Now with BeIN Sports 1-3 also available on Fetch, once the AFL season is done, I can kill the Foxtel Now sub for the off season and get everything I need for free or $19.95 a month if I desire Bundes/La Ligament/Serie A/Ligue 1...for the next 5 months

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic news, so much football now for free (for me) that I couldn't get on Fox. Now all they need are the A-League rights and I'd have zero motivation to get Fox.

Foxtel is basically keeping the A-League afloat so I wouldn't expect that to happen.

Foxtel is basically keeping the A-League afloat so I wouldn't expect that to happen.

Oh well, when I switch to Telstra I'll get the streaming for free on my phone.

https://www.afr.com/business/teleco...ghts-after-world-cup-own-goal-20180802-h13hqj

Optus is believed to have secured local broadcast rights to the UEFA Champions League, doubling down on its strategy to be the Australian home of international football.

The telecommunications provider is sticking to its football-focused content strategy under chief executive Allen Lew, despite a disastrous World Cup campaign that was plagued by technical glitches.
So UCL is free if you have Fetch mini too?

I think Optus said all games will be on demand now which is a positive. Also Optus app is on xbox which I just got one so that's also nice.
The press release uses 'live' twice in terms of the rights... no mention of on-demand? Isn't 'live and on demand' the usual phrase if you have those rights?

The press release uses 'live' twice in terms of the rights... no mention of on-demand? Isn't 'live and on demand' the usual phrase if you have those rights?

Let's ask Fwoy.

With 10 channels, I assume they’ll play all UCL and UEL matches live, with another, possibly a live highlights channel, similar to what was on BeIN Connect app...

Now with BeIN Sports 1-3 also available on Fetch, once the AFL season is done, I can kill the Foxtel Now sub for the off season and get everything I need for free or $19.95 a month if I desire Bundes/La Ligament/Serie A/Ligue 1...for the next 5 months
That is so tempting.

Will be calling Foxtel this week to demand a reduction in my subs or else I'm out. Dare say I won't be the only one either.

So won't see Liverpool play a game next season unless I cave into Optus.

How much do you pay a month?

Jesus, they've gone all in on this haven't they. I didn't read it because yeah but does this mean SBS are going to be partnering with them again for the Champions League?

I wonder for how long they'll be providing this service free of charge for eligible Optus customers, surely it wont be for much longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back