Balic granted indefinite leave [Traded to Melbourne for pick 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

I more just see it as a positive that a young guy has made a decision that progresses his life. Would much prefer it if he was giving it away to take up some specific opportunity. Anyway a good reminder about how young these guys are when drafted.

I remember watching him play for Peel against Souths early last season and he dominated in a losing side. Seemed to be everywhere.

He had so much ability. Such a shame.

Hopefully he can still stay involved in the game somewhere at least for the camaraderie.

Eh they are adults, Freo aren't exactly going to say nah don't live with him he is a bad influence on one of their own players are they?

He’s a kid straight out of high school moving across the other side of the country. Surely it’s the clubs responsibility to create a safe environment to guide a player in the correct way to behave and prepare by putting them with good role models.

Or maybe he actually just doesn't want to play football?

I think there is a group of players who would have had outstanding careers if footy meant working during the week, training three nights a week, eating what they wanted, playing with independence and flair on field and drinking ten cans after each game.

The current model of full time commitment, constant criticism, over analysis, kale smoothies, meditation, etc etc is not for everyone.

I've never met Harley in person - but going off the Melbourne intro video - he seems a very lost young man.

Hope he makes it at Melbourne, but can't see him surviving in the AFL system for long - Melbourne have just turned the corner with respect to standards.

prophetical

He’s a kid straight out of high school moving across the other side of the country. Surely it’s the clubs responsibility to create a safe environment to guide a player in the correct way to behave and prepare by putting them with good role models.

They stick them with host families at first then after that its their decision. The idea is to educate them to make good decisions rather then force them to. And again do you really think Freo are just going to throw their own player under the bus like that and say Balic you can't live with Bennell he is a bad influence. How do you think that would make Bennell feel?

What impression would Balic get from a club that doesn't trust its own players?

Bennell is still pretty young and has made mistakes. But he isn't a bad person, dude just likes to party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They stick them with host families at first then after that its their decision. The idea is to educate them to make good decisions rather then force them to. And again do you really think Freo are just going to throw their own player under the bus like that and say Balic you can't live with Bennell he is a bad influence. How do you think that would make Bennell feel?

What impression would Balic get from a club that doesn't trust its own players?

Bennell is still pretty young and has made mistakes. But he isn't a bad person, dude just likes to party.

They both spent most of 2016 in the rehab group, so they probably got to know each other pretty well there and struck up a friendship.

Exactly. I see Tomic and Kyrios in a similar way. Super talented guys, and because of their talent were pushed into a place they didn't want to be. I think its a great move by Balic.
Not sure comparing him to those two guys is helping his cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back