List Mgmt. James Gallagher - New St.Kilda List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Should've picked Judd

party0051.gif

Should have picked Hodge...

We used 21 on Goddard, and Stanley has so far done more for the Cats than Goddard has for us.

Personally I couldn't care less about losing Stanley. He's a perennial tease. Plays a few good games, gets everyone talking him up then he goes missing or gets injured again. And he's soft to boot. Cats are welcome to him. I don't rate him any improvement over Hickey or Longer.

Now the Big Boy deal....that's different.

One thought that passes thru my mind is….what if we didn't let BJ,big boy and Dal leave...….in BJ's case we bettered the Bombers offer and gave him that extra year.

You wonder where we'd be right now......would we have won a lot more games and finished in the 8 or just below in the post Watters years......which would have directly impacted our draft position.

Or when the senior guys eventually retire or leave....would we be stuck in no mans land on the ladder depending on the draft for many years.

Sliding doors moments tho.

Considering our lowly draft position netted no stars and even the compo for those stars which was supposed to turbo boost the rebuild failed to get better players....you'd say we'd have been better of. I think FA has made it really hard to rebuild after a bottom out and we decided to do it in the compromised draft era on top of that. It's like planting a million lettuce seedlings in the desert with out a water supply and wondering why you aren't rich a year later. Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney etc all topped up and haven't missed finals and most have reaped huge financial rewards for their constant success.

Personally I couldn't care less about losing Stanley. He's a perennial tease. Plays a few good games, gets everyone talking him up then he goes missing or gets injured again. And he's soft to boot. Cats are welcome to him. I don't rate him any improvement over Hickey or Longer.

Now the Big Boy deal....that's different.

See that's self preservation. He's much better than both our rucks now and he can play other roles. He's doing a lot better than Goddard who is potentially gone next year and is out of contract. He's actually finally playing good footy now.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=16&type=A&pid1=3153&pid2=3646&fid1=S&fid2=S

See that's self preservation. He's much better than both our rucks now and he can play other roles. He's doing a lot better than Goddard who is potentially gone next year and is out of contract. He's actually finally playing good footy now.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=16&type=A&pid1=3153&pid2=3646&fid1=S&fid2=S

Goddard will get another contract. 2 years.
Absolutely no insider information, but gut feel, especially if he is starting to come on. He’s had bad luck, but KPD’s don’t grow on trees.

Goddard will get another contract. 2 years.
Absolutely no insider information, but gut feel, especially if he is starting to come on. He’s had bad luck, but KPD’s don’t grow on trees.

There is talk going around that the Hawks want to trade for him.

There is talk going around that the Hawks want to trade for him.

If they want him, he must be ok. Even more reason we keep him.
Browny’s not going to be around forever.

Very interesting that in his most recent press conference Richo mentions that they aren't finished and are going to continue to add to the list management team. Maybe we will still get Jimmy Bartel after all!

He also made a comment about becoming a bit more strategic in the list management space and also referenced the introduction of live draft trading as something we want to get right. Reading a bit between the lines but i'm not sure they were that happy with the Port pick swap we did last year. Anyway, they are making all the right noises so hopefully works out well for us.

Last edited:
Very interesting that in his most recent press conference Richo mentions that they aren't finished and are going to continue to add to the list management team. Maybe we will still get Jimmy Bartel after all!

He also made a comment about becoming a bit more strategic in the list management space and also referenced the introduction of live draft trading as something we want to get right.

could very well be right. jb might start as a recruiter.

however i think the big focus will be boosting the analytics side which it sounds like we are very light on

Ok, our No 1 problem is picking the best talent. So we hire a guy with no track record in this?

Furthermore they seem to just be rubber stamping Liberatore and Co. But everyone from the boot-studder up know that our talent identification has been under-perfoming for years.

Have we just shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic, when what we really need is someone that can spot icebergs better?

I disagree. For example jack billlings was a consensus pick 3 in a very strong draft. He's clearly not playing the best footy he can. Some or arguably a large part of that is on the coaches and the footy department in general. Is it a place where talented draftees go and can make the best of themselves? Right now you have to say no. You only have to look at the benchmark clubs like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong to get a sniff that the footy department isn't firing on all cylinders. They routinely turn players who are not super highly rated top picks into consistent afl players. At other clubs I'm sure those same players would not be going as well as they are.

I think the list has some flaws but there is a decent foundation there. There is no way that on footballing ability, if you took St Kilda's players under 24 and pitted them against the other sides that it would be a bottom 4 team. Mccartin is the only glaring concern as far as poor drafting goes, for various reasons. I don't think any of the other picks since 2013 have been howlers. Development seems really poor in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. For example jack billlings was a consensus pick 3 in a very strong draft. He's clearly not playing the best footy he can. Some or arguably a large part of that is on the coaches and the footy department in general. Is it a place where talented draftees go and can make the best of themselves? Right now you have to say no. You only have to look at the benchmark clubs like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong to get a sniff that the footy department isn't firing on all cylinders. They routinely turn players who are not super highly rated top picks into consistent afl players. At other clubs I'm sure those same players would not be going as well as they are.

I think the list has some flaws but there is a decent foundation there. There is no way that on footballing ability, if you took St Kilda's players under 24 and pitted them against the other sides that it would be a bottom 4 team. Mccartin is the only glaring concern as far as poor drafting goes, for various reasons. I don't think any of the other picks since 2013 have been howlers. Development seems really poor in general.

I reckon you would though. Brisbane and Carlton have both managed to get a few that look certain guns in that age bracket. GC probably a bit light on but the talent is there just not the application. North don't have much, Collingwood heaps etc. We are very poor at getting high level players. Perhaps we were being conservative to be safe but we have a lot of B to C grade talent.

Not stuffing it completely isn't going to win us a premiership. It really is one where you could blame either but to me good players make the grade no matter what. Harris Andrews and Witherden are going to be stars but a heap of others they got look like spuds still. It doesn't make sense that development is our issue. We get games into players and they still don't come on.

I reckon you would though. Brisbane and Carlton have both managed to get a few that look certain guns in that age bracket. GC probably a bit light on but the talent is there just not the application. North don't have much, Collingwood heaps etc. We are very poor at getting high level players. Perhaps we were being conservative to be safe but we have a lot of B to C grade talent.

Not stuffing it completely isn't going to win us a premiership. It really is one where you could blame either but to me good players make the grade no matter what. Harris Andrews and Witherden are going to be stars but a heap of others they got look like spuds still. It doesn't make sense that development is our issue. We get games into players and they still don't come on.
There s no question in my mind that its a combination of the two!
Recruiting AND Development! No question about our lack of stars, but the amount of footballers we have
that at some point have shown elite traits only then to regress into mediocre output is staggering!
To me that's on coaching and development! in/out of side..Played out of position..No direction..You could go on and on!

You are completely oblivious to lack of quality that has been gained. Gresham has been our only real "outperform" relative to where he was taken.

As an aggregate we lack stars and have picked up less quality players than any other club.

Way, way back we gained Steven. Then huge gap to Gresham. Having a teamful of ok players takes you nowhere. You also need the cream.

You also need to remember that we let go players in order to gain more picks. Despite this our list has gone backwards.

Now last year is looking promising, but there are mainly years of average to shocking.

PS: I do agree though that we are not developing what we had as well as we need to, and other clubs do.

Last edited:
You are completely oblivious to lack of quality that has been gained. Gresham has been our only real "outperform" relative to where he was taken.

As an aggregate we lack stars and have picked up less quality players than any other club.

Way, way back we gained Steven. Then huge gap to Gresham. Having a teamful of ok players takes you nowhere. You also need the cream.

You also need to remember that we let go players in order to gain more picks. Despite this our list has gone backwards.

Now lust year in looking promising, but there are mainly years of average to shocking.

PS: I do agree though that we are not developing what we had as well as we need to, and other clubs do.
I agree wholeheartedly!
A year full of Lust sounds most promising!.....;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back