Club History Random moments in Swans history

waiting for tea to cook and was watching a few you tubes, thought I’d start a thread for a change

What are some random moments you remember in the great clubs history and your thoughts on them?

I’ll kick off with 1996 prelim. Dunkley sighted for striking Hird, and the club getting an injunction to have his case looked at after the grand final.

I remember it took a while that week to site him, seemed to be some extra footage emerged and felt like a witch hunt at the time to ruin our full back who consequently had by his standards an averageish game, looked worn out in the game.

What does everyone remember about that and anyone want to kick off some other moments to discuss

Or let the thread die whatever

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Random thoughts:

Jason Saddington randomly kicking 4 goals against North in Manuka when played as a forward. Thought he'd kick on after that, but then not really.

Some other games where I thought for sure the player would go on to be a really good player but then just fizzled out:

- The Ed Barlow debut
- Veszpremi kicking 4 in a game
- The TDL final vs Carlton

Being at the ANZ Stadium games in the mid 2000s when we'd get 70k+ to a game was really crazy. Say what you want about the stadium but they were awesome (even if we lost most of them).

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
A random moment (not such a random event) I always remember was that game a few years ago when Heath Shaw knocked himself out rushing back trying to be heroic against Tippett trying to stop him take an absolute certain mark - only to end up getting a rather nasty accidental knee and knocked out. Was a moment of pure stupidity (in terms of personal safety) as he had about a 0.000001% chance of ever spoiling the mark.

Don't know why but that moment really has stuck with me.

Rod carter kicking a goal v Fitzroy if I’m not mistaken

Not sure it was Fitzroy but we had a monster win and without checking the records I think it was Tilt's one and only goal.

His stranding one short of a milestone was one of the darker points in the Club's history.

Off the top of my head here are a few -

* John Sudholz had the biggest shorts ever in VFL/AFL history
* Paul Harrison had the whitest skin imaginable - he was also a fierce centre half back.
* One year we got fined for playing a boom recruit under an assumed name in practice matches (high leaping John Roberts)
* Alan Miller coaching the seniors (like Bolton he had not played VFL footy)
* The rooms at half time in the 60s giving me a taste for cigs
* Elkin Reilly (an Indigenous player) having the biggest hands I have ever seen (they were like serving platters)
* Stewie Gull finally delivering justice to Rotten Ronnie Andrews

Not sure it was Fitzroy but we had a monster win and without checking the records I think it was Tilt's one and only goal.

His stranding one short of a milestone was one of the darker points in the Club's history.

Off the top of my head here are a few -

* John Sudholz had the biggest shorts ever in VFL/AFL history
* Paul Harrison had the whitest skin imaginable - he was also a fierce centre half back.
* One year we got fined for playing a boom recruit under an assumed name in practice matches (high leaping John Roberts)
* Alan Miller coaching the seniors (like Bolton he had not played VFL footy)
* The rooms at half time in the 60s giving me a taste for cigs
* Elkin Reilly (an Indigenous player) having the biggest hands I have ever seen (they were like serving platters)
* Stewie Gull finally delivering justice to Rotten Ronnie Andrews

Yes true it was Melbourne whoops.

Amon Buchanan textbook tackle on Mark Nicoski on the wing in the last quarter of 05.

Amon carried us home that last quarter and should never be forgotten imo.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Great thread. An entirely random few things that stand out ......

1.Robbie's Ahmat's takes a handball at half back and goes on a coast to coast run and goal via the left wing of the SCG. Even Gary Rohan's best run (v Geelong in the Macca tribute game) didn't beat that one. Best of all he too the time to settle at the end of a long run. In my book Ahmat was even flashier than Jetta when he got moving.
2.Plugger in his Elvis days getting the sit on Mal Michael. I can't remember any other time when the great man genuinely jumped. He quite literally sat (very heavily) on Mal Michael's head and took a literal "sitter". Like sitting on a toddler. Mal wasn't expecting it as that simply wasn't something Plugger did.
3. A young Goodes steps into the ruck after Stafford is injured, plays the game of his career to date and breaks his wrist leaping over the top of the ruck contest against the much taller and in-form Corey McKernan. This was a taster of things to come. Norf were hammering us yet Goodes dug in, played out of his skin and the Swans went on to stage a miraculous comeback. He was reputed to have vomited on the way home, such was his exhaustion.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Amon Buchanan textbook tackle on Mark Nicoski on the wing in the last quarter of 05.

He and NOG were tough little f'ers. I remember NOG walking through Glenn Archer like he was made of cardboard. Jarred Moore was another tough player. Nuggety. They may not have been highly skilled but they gave their all.

I remember an odd one when Paul Kelly had been out a while and didnt we put him in v the dockers in perth at the last minute as a surprise or did i dream that?

Not sure why, but this match has always been stuck in my mind.

Other random matches that stick are the 2003 qualifying final against Port Adelaide (I was living in Vanuatu at the time and it was difficult to watch most matches, but watched this one on a projector screen in a beach side bar somewhere).

2005 After the siren, Barry Hall against the Lions. (As soon as we won this match I believed we were going to win the flag).

Daryn Cresswell in 1997 putting his knee cap back in
Sorry can't work out how to copy YouTube link using mobile
Haha! Use firefox to get link, I am nearly in control of mobile

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I remember an odd one when Paul Kelly had been out a while and didnt we put him in v the dockers in perth at the last minute as a surprise or did i dream that?

No didn’t dream it I remember this. He wasn’t even an emergency

Bob Pratt getting hit by a car or truck grand final week

Can’t find the you tube sorry
Thank you for making me laugh, I really needed that.

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure why, but this match has always been stuck in my mind.

Other random matches that stick are the 2003 qualifying final against Port Adelaide (I was living in Vanuatu at the time and it was difficult to watch most matches, but watched this one on a projector screen in a beach side bar somewhere).

2005 After the siren, Barry Hall against the Lions. (As soon as we won this match I believed we were going to win the flag).

I loved the 2003 season so much. From the 10 goal quarter Melbourne game, Goodes winning a Brownlow, two 70k+ crowds at ANZ within a month, the qualifying final against Port which was a huge upset, to when at 3 quarter time in the prelim I genuinely thought we were going to make the GF.

Obviously it ended poor, but when your side comes from no where to have a great season it's really enjoyable.

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
waiting for tea to cook and was watching a few you tubes, thought I’d start a thread for a change

What are some random moments you remember in the great clubs history and your thoughts on them?

I’ll kick off with 1996 prelim. Dunkley sighted for striking Hird, and the club getting an injunction to have his case looked at after the grand final.

I remember it took a while that week to site him, seemed to be some extra footage emerged and felt like a witch hunt at the time to ruin our full back who consequently had by his standards an averageish game, looked worn out in the game.

What does everyone remember about that and anyone want to kick off some other moments to discuss

Or let the thread die whatever
What was for tea?

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
The 2005 preliminary final against St Kilda sticks out to me. Remember them belting Sydney at the Dome before we finally found our groove for the rest of the season. Coming off a heartbreaker against West Coast at Subiaco before the Nick Davis miracle at the SCG and then smashing St Kilda at the G a week later. Then eventually the premiership.

Found a video (0:54), also got a great spoil in at the very start of the video and was the player who kicked the eventual match winning goal (not in video)

Back