Richmond just drop the ball close to their bodies when tackled

Remove this Banner Ad

crocsta

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Watched the game tonight. It seems Richmond have tactic to not try to handball when tackled. The just drop the ball close to their body.

I’m assuming they’re not penalised as the umpires deem the ball to have been released due to the tackle. The umpires just call play on.

It’s a better outcome for Richmond than trying to handball and getting called for holding the ball.

It could be sour grapes but something I notice early in the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you wanted more free kicks tonight, even though the count was 15-23 in your favour?

If they're there, then yes. Like the one when Nankervis tried to spear Menegola into the turf on the wing when he never took possession of the ball.

It would be good if the thread title was changed and a proper discussion had.

Was the ball dropped deliberately, or was it knocked out in the tackle? It's a question that umpires have to answer a hundred or so times a game, and buggered if they, or anyone else, really can tell most of the time. And yet the outcome is different depending on how one umpire interprets it at the time.

Watched the game tonight. It seems Richmond have tactic to not try to handball when tackled. The just drop the ball close to their body.

I’m assuming they’re not penalised as the umpires deem the ball to have been released due to the tackle. The umpires just call play on.

It’s a better outcome for Richmond than trying to handball and getting called for holding the ball.

If you watched the game tonight you would of noticed Joel Selwood ducking into tackles, Tom Hawkins diving, Lachie Henderson holding Jack Riewoldt off the ball and Robert O'Gorman blowing his whistle at every opportunity to assist the pitiful pussies in attack or thwart Richmond's offensive press. Do not moan about dropping balls. Throwing the ball out of packs is the new black at the Cattery. Laughable that you should even raise the topic.

Wow, Tiger supporters are seriously going to whinge about the umpiring tonight. The same team that was given a goal last week which was clearly a throw. The same team who's captain grabbed Kelly as he was standing off his mark to take his kick with no 50m penalty awarded. The same team who's ruckman drove Menegola in the back when he didn't even have the ball and no free kick paid. The same team who constantly get tackled yet when they just drop the ball the umpire yells 'He tried'. Give me a spell. There are a few people out there who need to re-watch the game with both eyes.

LOL you guys are so deluded. 8 goal better side you say, you won by 3 points, dare I say it at the MCG. LMFAO. Looks to me that Richmond got a scare last night and the premiership isnt just going to be a walk in the park, their supporters are grabbing at anything to say otherwise. The look on Hardwicks face in the last quarter was priceless.

We beat you at our home, and you cried about the ground. We nearly beat you at the mcg and you cry about the umpires. There is a common theme going on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not just Richmond mate. The cats did the same thing all night. There were that many occasions where incorrect disposal could have been paid either way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This thread is main board worthy, MODS? This is a part of the game that has pissed me off for years.

I'm not commenting on the game last night as I didn't watch it but this is something that the better teams over the years disguise exceptionally well and they would definitely train for it. The Hawks, Dogs(2016) Cats, Swans and now the Tigers are very good at it.

IMO if you take possession of the ball and have prior and the ball spills out in the tackle it should be holding the ball and it's only play on if it spills to the advantage of the tackling team, it is blatantly unfair if it spills to the advantage of the team that dropped the ball.

Wow, Tiger supporters are seriously going to whinge about the umpiring tonight. The same team that was given a goal last week which was clearly a throw. The same team who's captain grabbed Kelly as he was standing off his mark to take his kick with no 50m penalty awarded. The same team who's ruckman drove Menegola in the back when he didn't even have the ball and no free kick paid. The same team who constantly get tackled yet when they just drop the ball the umpire yells 'He tried'. Give me a spell. There are a few people out there who need to re-watch the game with both eyes.

I agree, Tigers got the rub of the green.

Sure umpiring was crap last night but there was so much they got away with, even look at their last goal, Riewoldt clearly pushed the defender in the back.

richmond are the dirtiest team in the comp!!!!!

-always chopping the arms and applying dirty tactics to stop opposition players from marking the ball. (teams struggle to take easy marks against richmond because of these tactics)

-moving the ball forward at all costs. they play auskick style footy its embarrassing.

-never taking possession of the ball in tight contests instead always paddling it and dropping it so they dont get caught holding the ball

-richmond players tackle you when do dont have the footy but are about to take possession

If you watched the game tonight you would of noticed Joel Selwood ducking into tackles, Tom Hawkins diving, Lachie Henderson holding Jack Riewoldt off the ball and Robert O'Gorman blowing his whistle at every opportunity to assist the pitiful pussies in attack or thwart Richmond's offensive press. Do not moan about dropping balls. Throwing the ball out of packs is the new black at the Cattery. Laughable that you should even raise the topic.

Noticed numerous times last night Richmond players ducking to avoid tackles too. Difference was Geelong players were smart enough not to tackle them around the neck. It's not rocket science.

Bit hilarious to say Hawkins was diving when Rance was doing it all night. For someone 194cm and 95kg, it does seem mighty easy to knock him off-balance.

Noticed numerous times last night Richmond players ducking to avoid tackles too. Difference was Geelong players were smart enough not to tackle them around the neck. It's not rocket science.

Bit hilarious to say Hawkins was diving when Rance was doing it all night. For someone 194cm and 95kg, it does seem mighty easy to knock him off-balance.
Difference was Geelong was rewarded for ducking and Richmond were not. I'm not sure of Tommys' dimensions but you are right, he does wobble easily.

Difference was Geelong was rewarded for ducking and Richmond were not. I'm not sure of Tommys' dimensions but you are right, he does wobble easily.

Comprehension not your strong point? Point was Richmond didn't get frees because Geelong players didn't tackle them high when they were ducking into tackles.

Comprehension not your strong point? Point was Richmond didn't get frees because Geelong players didn't tackle them high when they were ducking into tackles.

Higgins, Grigg, Lambert, Short, Baker, Caddy all got taken high legitimately. None were paid. All were clear as daylight. Higgins practically got clotheslined near goal.

Don't say that Geelong don't tackle high. They do. They just never get pinged. Like they didn't for dropping the ball last night. Their first instinct when they get tackled is to just let the ball go and spill to someone else.

Hypocritical to call us out on dropping when your teams was worse at it last night than we were.

Watch the game again. Selwoood, Danger caught numerous times, drop it, throw it and no free and you're complaining. FMD get a clue.

Whaaaaa, I’m a tigers supporter, whaaa whaaa, we nearly lost at the mcg, whaaa, now we don’t seem unbeatable at home, whaa whaaaa, it must be the umpires fault, whaaa whaaa whaaa.

I think that’s how it goes.

LOL you guys are so deluded. 8 goal better side you say, you won by 3 points, dare I say it at the MCG. LMFAO. Looks to me that Richmond got a scare last night and the premiership isnt just going to be a walk in the park, their supporters are grabbing at anything to say otherwise. The look on Hardwicks face in the last quarter was priceless.

We beat you at our home, and you cried about the ground. We nearly beat you at the mcg and you cry about the umpires. There is a common theme going on here.
Mate you blokes are rubbish, it should have been 10 goals. The ump was the only thing that made it interesting, and don't take my word for it, look at the stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back