gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
We're not interested in being middle of the road, we're not interested in playing finals and being an also ran, we're here to build a premiership side and that means finding a core of genuine superstars and building a list that runs strong really deep.

First we fix the culture buy getting rid of everyone who is lazy on and off the field, doesn't go in hard, doesn't chase, tackle and work both ways and has off field problems. The undisciplined sooks who couldn't perform in a team footy environment. Get rid of those who lack effort on a consistent basis. That unfortunately was a lot of our better players and more senior players but we did it. Malthouse got hammered for doing this and mostly because we got nothing for them, probably due to having no list manager. Anyway, another story but Bolton and SOS have kept the ball rolling nicely but we have had to take the slide from a middle of the ladder side to a bottom side.

We then go with plenty of leadership, players who excel in these areas and are vocal and outspoken about reiterating what the coach wants. Real extroverts and we have that. I think we have players who will get into blokes not putting in and make sure they develop as effort players who apply the 1%ers. Perhaps we could go further here with more leadership. We have not lost any senior/good players with leadership qualities IMO to other clubs.

Hunting early draft picks has been good for us, we do need our genuine superstars. All the good sides have a good deep list but they still have a few superstars in their ranks. We need to find our next clutch of elite AFL players.

Now it's about stability, get games into these young players and develop them. Beat out the bad habits and improve their strengths and allow time to mature them mentally and physically. We are still in need of more talent and elite talent is very high on our agenda. Early draft picks, free agency (maybe now) and trading will still be on the cards.

SOS has been under a lot of pressure to do way to much in way too shorter time frame but the thing is he has done it and being on the bottom of the ladder now is irrelevant to the end goal.

The other aspect is that we have a no dickhead policy and strong focus on leadership means we may not always bring in the best and most talented players but they will behave, they will work hard, they will offer some voice and leadership and they will have a go. So in those trades you can't just look at the football ability you have lost or gained and how this effects the development of our younger players. No doubt there is a focus on effort and discipline.

I think now the clean out and replacement period is pretty much done and our recruiting team is finalised and probably the best we have ever had by so much it isn't funny, this is when the real magic happens. But these young guys will still take a few years and patience will be required.

I still believe that if we do a long time frame rebuild without any panic or corner cutting that when we do start to rise it will be a serious and fairly significant rise. Would not be surprised to see us go from 12th or 13th one year to top 4 the next for example.

Just looking at a couple of trades we made last year and what the outcome looks like being based on current ladder positions:

Gibbs trade calculator.JPG

So we ended up trading Gibbs for the equivalent of pick 6. Great outcome.

Dogs pick trade.JPG

Made out like bandits trading with the dogs. Got Pick 31 for free.

View attachment 537812
SOS is footballs version of Kayser Sose. You don’t know you’ve been got until long after it’s all happened.
I’m hopeful the result is that in a year or two the footyworld is left wondering how on earth they let Out the Carlton juggernaut again.

The greatest trick SOS ever pulled was convincing the world his daughter didn't exist.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Standing at the Mr Whippy van. A lovely double cone passed to you with care, already starting to melt, as you pass over the coins.
Turn around ready to lick with thoughts of the chocolate treat in mind. What do you see?

SOS at the back of the queue with a grin eating your bloody flake and you didn't even notice his long arm snaking through the crowd.

Standing at the Mr Whippy van. A lovely double cone passed to you with care, already starting to melt, as you pass over the coins.
Turn around ready to lick with thoughts of the chocolate treat in mind. What do you see?

SOS at the back of the queue with a grin eating your bloody flake and you didn't even notice his long arm snaking through the crowd.

Opposite happened to me.

SOS offered me his flake. He even offered to pay for half my ice cream.

Although after the euphoria of ordering ice cream subsided, I remembered I had agreed to give him my chocolate topping, peanuts and sprinkles from my next two ice creams.

Last edited:
We effectively got #16 for Henderson, #31 for Bell but gave up a pick we weren't going to use anyway. Giving up 3rd rounders to get deals done when the other team needs them but we don't is part of the genius of SOS.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I often see SOS hanging outside the Mr Whippy.

His favourite strategy is to try and buy fresh ice creams that have fallen on the floor and broken. He pays cents in the dollar.

Lately he has been mumbling something about needing to buy some cheap ice cream supplies half way to its used by date.
Sadly SOS has been limited to buying his ice cream supplies from Aldi when he would much rather be getting some Bulla or Peters ice cream from Woolworths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Won't update the OP until all lists are finalised, but the following deals get better. In red the players that are either no longer playing/delisted

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/soss-trade-history.1175850/

Out Menzel - In Kerridge + Pick 28

Out Pick 28 + 77 + 95 ( Not Used) + Geelong's 2016 1st Round - In Lamb + Phillips + Plowman + Sumner + Pick 8

Out: Menzel, Hibberd, Wills, Henderson

In: Lamb, Plowman, Phillips, Sumner, Kerridge, McKay

DRAFT HIGH PICKS: Weitering/SPS/Dow/Lob/Harry and Charlie all high picks all playing more or less according to their potential based on draft order - with charlie being the standout success to date.
DRAFT LOWER PICKS: Fisher is the standout here probably next to Charlie, but Williamson and McCreadie showing signs that SOS knows how to get value for lower order picks. Dont have a strong view on last year's lower order picks except people say Tall bloke is going to go ok. Garlett dispaointed so far.

These are easier things to get right - give SOS an A for the above

TRADE: Potential A graders that cost
Marchbank/Pickett/Plowman - to date Plowman best of this lot
TRADE LOWER EXPECTATIONS : Phillips/Sumner/Gorringe/Palmer/Wright/Smedts/O'Shea/Mullett/Shaw/Kerridge/LOBBE

These are harder to get right and for the most part have delivered not much GIVE SOS a C for these

So far - SOS has shown an ability to spot talent in young ones tick
So far SOS has shown a serious lack of smarts in getting older salary dump types to suit Carlton needs -I consider last year's mature recruits as a disaster- in the context of not providing some depth for midfield at least at VFL level.

2018 - for 2019...

1. SOS has to get some midfield talent into Carlton to support Bolton/Cripps and the development of the younger players.
2. He has to be more strategic and thoughtful in selecting developed players to help in midfield as well - looking outside draft.

No one is saying a full rebuild is easy _ I have always known the 66 game rebuild was a crock of BS. However I am pretty unimpressed with the OBVIOUS to anyone requirement of boosting midfield stocks at least at VFL level - which both Bolton and SOS didn't see as priority last year - this worries me.

If this isn't addressed properly this trade / draft period - development will be setback another year in 2019 - further more it could see Bolton lose his job if performances between the arcs don't improve significantly- which is all about boosting genuine midfield rotation resources.

The greatest trick SOS ever pulled was convincing the world his daughter didn't exist.
how did I miss this gem? or did I like it again? rolled gold quality this - as sos drags his leg up the street and into a pete postlethwaite driven away car

Remove this Banner Ad

Back