Review Good/Bad v Port, R20 2018: Post Mortem

Did the ball hit the post?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve watched all the camera angles like 20x now and it’s not conclusive to me. Goal umpire was in best position and called it a goal. I would be fuming if it was overturned and we lost.

AFL seriously needs to give GoPro a call.

There are two separate things here - the decision yesterday, and the cameras themselves.

The only reason some people are going mental about the decision yesterday is because of Jenkins' honesty. There is nothing conclusive on the replays that can overturn the umpire's call. You can argue the revolutions on the ball apparently changing (which is a weird argument anyway because the shape of a football means a tumbling snap is always wobbling), shadows on the post etc until the cows come home but unless the footage captures the ball clearly hitting the post then it won't be overturned. If Jenkins says "I think it was a goal" - which most would - then the response wouldn't be as intense.

Then there's the cameras themselves - I agree with criticism of the cameras and the inconsistency across the different grounds. It's classic AFL. The administration of the league is a joke.

It's just funnier because, you know, Port.

Here we go, I'm gonna throw a bunch of negatives out there to keep you all entertained.

• Look at the stats. Teams that dominate that much win by 8+ goals. We were lucky to snag it.
  • Matt Crouch was a walking turnover. 35 possessions, 10 were 2m nothing handballs, and he spent the first 3 quarters giving it back to Port. Or fumbling the ball and losing it.
  • Ratkins pretty much the same deal. It ends up as a "decent" game but geez if you're running off with the ball and you have a chance to kick to a teammate, and get nowhere near them, that sucks.
  • Laird tagged out of a game!
  • Gibbs continues to perplex - how is it he's jetting around and then kicking slow 40m floaters to packs in the forward line? Lots of nothing kicks.
  • Offensively we seem to find new and interesting ways to stuff up what should be certain goals. We kicked 3 OOF from set shots in the 2nd. Walker, Ed, Rat. Bullshit. 40m out not too bad angle, can't even get a point? Gooch misses running into goal. Gibbs pocket snap shot, no pressure. Goal after goal after goal again... missed.
  • Defensively we leaked goals. What the hell is our setup? Port got what, 6 goals from winning a stoppage on the wing, bursting free from it and looking up to see 3 free players running into their D-50 without a crow defender near them. WTF? Is it a new tactic where we play midfielders and forwards only, and bargain on winning the clearance?
Most of this is coaching related. Can tell by the way they are moving the ball that the instruction they are being given is muddled. Major changes are needed in our coaching group but not confident this will happen.

Good: we won in controversial fashion effectively ruining Port’s top 4 chances. Wines having a chance to kick the winning goal and sprays it.
Milera after a few nervous fumbles ended up with a good game. Doedee seems to play well in the big games. Jenkins actually competed well and won some crucial contests. Gibbs played well - I thought his disposal was better.
The final siren sounding and the crowd going nuts - I just love the atmosphere.
Bad: our goal kicking - we had so many opportunities to win the game. The amount of goals Port kicked out the back from the goal square. Every time Port marked in the F50 they’d fall over trying to get a 50m penalty. Hinkley whinging again.

The the coast to coast goals and general ease with which they came cleanly out of defence to goal was painful. We were lacking badly with this.

Watching the replay, Ebert rides CEY into the ground no free, if that was Gray or Wingard free for sure
At one point around the second quarter gray was tackled and dove forward luckily our player I think laird was able to roll him. So annoying, glad the ump didn’t fall for his usual s**t.

Last edited:
My grandma taught me not to tell fibs and I do have sympathy for you guys with that poster. To call a score review and get it wrong. When it's the last goal of the game that changed the result.
If it's called a point we probably win by more. Port could not get it out of our half at the last few kick ins.

At one point around the second quarter grey was tackled and dove forward luckily our player I think laird was able to roll him. So annoying, glad the ump didn’t fall for his usual s**t.
I remember that one. Looked like a Superman impression, and right in front of goal too so thank God the umpire didn't fall for it.

There are two separate things here - the decision yesterday, and the cameras themselves.

The only reason some people are going mental about the decision yesterday is because of Jenkins' honesty. There is nothing conclusive on the replays that can overturn the umpire's call. You can argue the revolutions on the ball apparently changing (which is a weird argument anyway because the shape of a football means a tumbling snap is always wobbling), shadows on the post etc until the cows come home but unless the footage captures the ball clearly hitting the post then it won't be overturned. If Jenkins says "I think it was a goal" - which most would - then the response wouldn't be as intense.

Then there's the cameras themselves - I agree with criticism of the cameras and the inconsistency across the different grounds. It's classic AFL. The administration of the league is a joke.

It's just funnier because, you know, Port.
"It didn't even go through the goals!"

Hahahaha

Listening to triple m after the game.

Josh Jenkins is a very very good footballer to interview and I hate football interviews. Josh gives pretty good insight and actually sounds like how you would expect an AFL player to sound when talking about footy. It's refreshing.
He was excellent the other week on Fox Footy with Danger when they had the player's week. He'll be in the media for sure.

Very noble of you. But you have aright to be furious. The game has rules and win and loses should be within those rules.

On another note I personally believe we should get rid of the ridiculous hit the post rule. The score should be based on if the ball goes through the points or goal irrespective of the I’d it brushed the post.

If the ball come back into play then it is a point (if it hits the goal post) or out of bounds (if it hits the point post). It is too difficult to judge at the moment and leads to errors like these.
Absolutely 100% agree. The hitting the post is the dumbest rule in the AFL. I mean thinking about it - we're talking about at most a slight nudge. WHO CARES, it went THROUGH the goals. IT IS A GOAL!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gooch is not touted as a captain.

Ollie already has it written in his contract to be skipper next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
And tge funny thing is the bloke they should be throwing the captaincy and the money towards is Polec... he had 10 times the impact on that game last night than Whines!..

I think he’ll re-sign with them.. but in the off chance they do lose him they will be absolutely screwed next year.. he’s much like brodie smith is to the crows in that he drives all their rebound off half back..

My review. Copy paste of the one I did in round one. You lot have a better cake, we have the better cream on the cake. To make a real impact you need both. Neither team has both.

My take on the 3 so called controversial decisions.
1. Gray 50. Dumb football.
Gray takes a mark close to if not too far out to score for him, and gets pushed in the back half hour late out of frustration.
Soft but there.

2. Westhoff's 50. Dumb football.
Bad kick to start with and and an even worse reaction by Westhoff who looks as if he starts cussing.
Soft but cannot say with any certainty it wasn't there. Some days it gets paid some days it doesn't. It did end of story.

3. For mine it isn't about did it touch the post but is the minutest change in spin, or a pinky moving 1mm backwards in touched calls, enough to reverse a decision? Dunno.

The question to ask is why was there only one angle looked at. If we are going to have goal reviews then introduce the required technology or get rid of them as it makes the umpires lazy to the point where they go for the soft options thinking the review will take care of the controversial decisions.

Overall,
The indifferent: All 3 decisions could have easily gone Port's way and we may have ended up with a win we didn't really deserve. They didn't, you won, the end.

The good: It was another great classic Showdown. Good showcase and must watch game for all footy fans. Probably the number 1 game in the AFL.

The bad. The video review. Nough said.

The really ugly: 4pm on a Saturday with no free to air? Really? Disrespectful at the very least.
Someone at AFL house should get their arse kicked, and that is being very diplomatic. No, make that extremely diplomatic.

Listening to triple m after the game.

Josh Jenkins is a very very good footballer to interview and I hate football interviews. Josh gives pretty good insight and actually sounds like how you would expect an AFL player to sound when talking about footy. It's refreshing.
Most ex basketballers interview well for whatever reason.

I hate the inconsistencies around the protected zone. I think it was the last quarter on our 50m arc western side. Crows player standing the mark/free begins to run off to chase a port player running on past the player with the ball. So Crows player (Tex?) heads in to stand the mark. Bang 50m penalty. This type of thing happens numerous times a match - a couple get called, most just recognised for what it is and nothing is called (as it should be). Rules that can be judged consistently would help.

My review. Copy paste of the one I did in round one. You lot have a better cake, we have the better cream on the cake. To make a real impact you need both. Neither team has both.

My take on the 3 so called controversial decisions.
1. Gray 50. Dumb football.
Gray takes a mark close to if not too far out to score for him, and gets pushed in the back half hour late out of frustration.
Soft but there.

2. Westhoff's 50. Dumb football.
Bad kick to start with and and an even worse reaction by Westhoff who looks as if he starts cussing.
Soft but cannot say with any certainty it wasn't there. Some days it gets paid some days it doesn't. It did end of story.

3. For mine it isn't about did it touch the post but is the minutest change in spin, or a pinky moving 1mm backwards in touched calls, enough to reverse a decision? Dunno.

The question to ask is why was there only one angle looked at. If we are going to have goal reviews then introduce the required technology or get rid of them as it makes the umpires lazy to the point where they go for the soft options thinking the review will take care of the controversial decisions.

Overall,
The indifferent: All 3 decisions could have easily gone Port's way and we may have ended up with a win we didn't really deserve. They didn't, you won, the end.

The good: It was another great classic Showdown. Good showcase and must watch game for all footy fans. Probably the number 1 game in the AFL.

The bad. The video review. Nough said.

The really ugly: 4pm on a Saturday with no free to air? Really? Disrespectful at the very least.
Someone at AFL house should get their arse kicked, and that is being very diplomatic. No, make that extremely diplomatic.
Robbie Grey is your cream.

When he retires you're done.

Apart from his flopping he is a genuine elite player.

Kane Cornes on the AFL.com.au review: "The 50 against Westhoff on Doedee is the worst decision I've seen this year"

As always, Kane has a judgement to make about whether he's going to be sane and impartial in his response to an emotional game, but can't help himself and goes Full Lindy.

He certainly kicked for goal more accurately and with better composure than our guys.
Yeah.

A shame he will never be a Premiership player. He has worked dam hard to be the player he is. Early on he had a lot of soft tissue issues. Then last year his Cancer issue. Yet didnt miss a beat in preseason.

I just wish he didnt flop.

I would offer him a sack of cash to play for us and live that dream. Imagine he and Eddie in the same forward line for a year.

The only other Port player I would want is Dougal Howard.

Kane Cornes on the AFL.com.au review: "The 50 against Westhoff on Doedee is the worst decision I've seen this year"

As always, Kane has a judgement to make about whether he's going to be sane and impartial in his response to an emotional game, but can't help himself and goes Full Lindy.

He also appears to suggest that the goal or behind decision should be made based upon player's reactions.

So apparently Port didn't really try as hard last night, and it was our best performance for the year.

I saw a banged up, messy team beat a sloppy, flakey side in comedic circumstances, neither of whom will do any damage whatsoever.

They are delusional. Surely this "not playing our best" excuse has to run thin after using it for the best part of three years, (particularly after Showdown losses)? More like that IS their best and they just aren't that good. We've been better than them for three years now. They got lucky earlier this year with our injuries, Douglas and a dream run with umpires; and only our own inefficiency kept them in it last night.

If anything, the side which has all the play but kept missing easy shots isn't playing their best and the plucky side keeping themselves in it purely through kicking arsey goals against the grain IS playing well by taking their chances.

Just watched quarters 1 to 3 again. We are controlling the whole bloody game and should of had it stitched by five goals. Our structure itself isn't too bad at times either but poor execution at goals or kicking to the wrong option inside F50 has cost us. It's a carbon copy of previous weeks.

Back