Draft Profile Sam Walsh - Selected by Carlton with pick 1!

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me a lot of Jaeger O'Meara. His skills look solid enough, plays aggressively and gets a ton of the ball. Athletically, whilst not a tall midfielder seems to have good pace and agility.

All Aus captain and Larke Medallist.
Averaged 29.5 possessions and 7 tackles a game.
Top 3 IMO.

Jeez, you're really going out on a limb there.

Is it just me or is his kicking a bit iffy?

Almost never hits a target; lots of half volleys.

Looks the good with everything else, but that's a concern.
Saw him play once or twice in the champs last year and it was a bit of an issue and that was a knock earlier in the year, but it has apparently improved of late. He reminds me a lot of Cotchin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to have left the rest of that sentence out. :)

"Sorry i dont see it in him to be 1st picked"........because
I can just say it's my opinion and that should suffice, but to help you out, it's because the times I have seen him he appears rushed with his disposal. Imagin when he steps into the big boys ring how rushed he will be.

The knocks on his kicking efficiency need to be looked at through a wider lens I feel. He seems to go for the tougher but better option and is able to do this on the fly as they present. His mind seems a half step ahead of his team mates but it highlights his good decision making and is prepared to back himself over and over. Overall his disposals are damaging but do need to be tidied up a touch.

The knocks on his kicking efficiency need to be looked at through a wider lens I feel. He seems to go for the tougher but better option and is able to do this on the fly as they present. His mind seems a half step ahead of his team mates but it highlights his good decision making and is prepared to back himself over and over. Overall his disposals are damaging but do need to be tidied up a touch.
His kicking skills will improve rapidly when he goes into an elite environment...so should be right in a couple of seasons if he goes to the blues at pick 1;)

Joking, he seems to get it a stack and has a nice acceleration. Will be a great player - they don't all need x-factor

His year reminds me a fair bit of Scully's top age year.

Ridiculous running capacity, same build, accumulated like hell (26 vs 29), some question marks on kicking, Scully was a great inside player at u/18 level, his hands in tight were elite. Both underage AA's.

He's bankable. You're almost certainly getting a super-professional 250+ gamer, he's got that Josh Kelly-like approach to the little things off the field.

Is it just me or is his kicking a bit iffy?

Almost never hits a target; lots of half volleys.

Looks the good with everything else, but that's a concern.

I'm with you on his kicking but as long as his technique is ok then as long as he keeps working it should just improve. I also thought his hands didn't look that flash either, missed a lot of targets or loopy. He certainly works/runs hard.

Love him at the lions one day ! Maybe he will follow his heart down the track

I'm with you on his kicking but as long as his technique is ok then as long as he keeps working it should just improve. I also thought his hands didn't look that flash either, missed a lot of targets or loopy. He certainly works/runs hard.

He'll be a high production mid for sure; he'll get lots of it, and has enough pace and endurance to do a lot.

Disposal still remains a bit of a concern for mine. That said, it did improve slightly as the year wore on.

Reckon Danger is a reasonable comparison with Walsh. Danger hasnt exactly got elite disposal (im not saying it's bad, but it's not his strength), but he more than makes up for it by being exceptional everywhere else.

I reckon if Walsh strings it together at AFL level (and I'm all but certain he will) he'll turn out to be a player in the mold of Dangerfield. That's probably his ceiling. At absolute worst he'll turn out a slightly better version of Masten (and I reckon that's highly unlikely).

I dont reckon he's the kind of bloke that will die wondering either, and he'll give in 100 percent once drafted.

Rankine for mine is the much more talented player, but Walsh is the safe bet 200 gamer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back