Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'm still looking for a Safety Squat Bar, I've called up a few places and despite product images on web sites, the bars ive found around $200 all have the camber in line with the handles where as I want the camber pointing down once setup.

I'm looking at this ATX bar now but haven't heard of the brand before, anyone seen these around or have an opinion on it?

https://samsfitness.com.au/barbells/specialty-olympic-bars/atx-safety-squat-bar

There’s a few reviews and clips of their bars on YouTube but that’s about the extent of what I know about them.
They’ve been around a while (at least 3-4 years) but aren’t really a household name in powerlifting circles at least

Even if ya trying to lose weight ya have to eat more if lifting weights and want 2 grow
Paradoxically you still lose fat as long as its good food

Even if ya trying to lose weight ya have to eat more if lifting weights and want 2 grow
Paradoxically you still lose fat as long as its good food

Yes and no. Unless you are taking the special enhancers or an overweight newbie. You really need prioritise either gaining size or losing body fat. Eating is still crucial for either option.

Can someone recommend some really good bodybuilding type routines?

I'm doing the old school one body part 'International Chest Day" split.

I've recently tried going everyday.

So Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back bi
Wed: Shoulder tri
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Chest
Saturday: Back bi
etc

Usually train 90 minutes 20-25 sets in total. First set of every exercise is a warm up. Last set on the last 2 exercises for the workout are to failure. 10 second break. Then drop sets on exercises where I don't need a spot, as I train alone. Calves 3 days a week, usually at the end of a workout.

The best part is I've lost 5kgs in 3 weeks. Bad news is it now takes about 15 minutes to warm up my fried shoulders (white coat at the chemist gives me the under the counter voltaren)

Next week I might try something different. I've been thinking of keeping the routine, but doing 2 days on 1 day off.

Obviously searched online, but can't separate the good from the bad.

Just a simple link to routines you've tried or rate would be muchly appreciated.

^ Lack of rest days and doing 6 day x 90 minutes sessions?
Unless you're on the gear you're on the fast track to adrenal fatigue.

It's hard to judge without knowing your history, how long you've been training, goals etc. but a four day spilt such as:
Upper Strength
Lower Strength
*rest*
Upper Hypertrophy
Lower Hypertrophy

Is still popular, or for a five day split:

Upper Strength
Lower Strength
*rest*
Push hypertrophy
Lower hypertrophy
Pull hypertrophy

If you are after something more detailed the gurus here will surely have some suggestions.

^ Lack of rest days and doing 6 day x 90 minutes sessions?
Unless you're on the gear you're on the fast track to adrenal fatigue.

It's hard to judge without knowing your history, how long you've been training, goals etc. but a four day spilt such as:
Upper Strength
Lower Strength
*rest*
Upper Hypertrophy
Lower Hypertrophy

Is still popular, or for a five day split:

Upper Strength
Lower Strength
*rest*
Push hypertrophy
Lower hypertrophy
Pull hypertrophy

If you are after something more detailed the gurus here will surely have some suggestions.
Cheers.

History is I'm an old man 40 coming back after a 6 year lay off (laziness). Previous to that I put in 6-7 consistent years. I've been back in the gym for 4 months. Once I get into a hobby I tend to get a bit obsessive about it, hence the 90 minute sessions no rest days.

I supplement with creatine, beta alanine and whey protein. I've only been on the creatine for a week.

I like your 5 day split suggestion. Never thought to break it up into heavy and light/higher rep days.

Upper Strength
Lower Strength
*rest*
Push hypertrophy
Lower hypertrophy
Pull hypertrophy

I know the push-pull-legs routine. Is your strength days suggestion similar to a 5x5 deal?

Cheers.

History is I'm an old man 40 coming back after a 6 year lay off (laziness). Previous to that I put in 6-7 consistent years. I've been back in the gym for 4 months. Once I get into a hobby I tend to get a bit obsessive about it, hence the 90 minute sessions no rest days.

I supplement with creatine, beta alanine and whey protein. I've only been on the creatine for a week.

I like your 5 day split suggestion. Never thought to break it up into heavy and light/higher rep days.

Upper Strength
Lower Strength
*rest*
Push hypertrophy
Lower hypertrophy
Pull hypertrophy

I know the push-pull-legs routine. Is your strength days suggestion similar to a 5x5 deal?
Yep similar, I tend to have a couple of warm up sets of my main compounds lifts for the day and go progressively heavier / lower rep on the strength days.

I'm 40 as well and am doing a 4-5 day training week plus cycling 8-10 times per week (commuter) and running 1-2 per week. Have to be a little careful about leg volume as the cycling I get DOMS in the legs pretty easily.

The post work out nutrition makes a huge difference too - placebo or not my next few meals after a heavy day I'm very conscious of getting 30+ grams protein in, from as wide a variety of sources as practical.

Good luck with it all :thumbsu:

You could double up on push/pull/leg alternating heavy (3-6 reps) and light days (8-15 reps) ie
Monday - heavy push
Tuesday - light pull
Wednesday - heavy legs
Thursday - light push
Friday - heavy pull
Saturday - light legs

If your shoulders are starting to get beat up it’ll be your exercise selection and intensities that are off; gravitate to more full ROM isolation exercises and avoid any exercises where the actual position (without load) is painful for a while until it settles down then gradually reintroduce them.
Also, training with a lower cadence is typically tendon sparing.

You could double up on push/pull/leg alternating heavy (3-6 reps) and light days (8-15 reps) ie
Monday - heavy push
Tuesday - light pull
Wednesday - heavy legs
Thursday - light push
Friday - heavy pull
Saturday - light legs

If your shoulders are starting to get beat up it’ll be your exercise selection and intensities that are off; gravitate to more full ROM isolation exercises and avoid any exercises where the actual position (without load) is painful for a while until it settles down then gradually reintroduce them.
Also, training with a lower cadence is typically tendon sparing.
Thank you.

Interesting. I like that break up.

It's my right shoulder playing up. Feel it on shoulder day obviously, and the first few sets of chest. Went in this morning for shoulder tri and couldn't do anything but light side laterals for the first 15-20 minutes. I usually start with military press, but struggled just with the bar so switched exercises.

It came good eventually, and I was able to get a decent workout.

Bloke at the pharmacy just said to push through until it came good, which I didn't expect to hear. I train with fairly good form, and I tend to use a HIT style where I'm pushing slowly, holding at the top, and then even slower on the negative.

Thank you.

It's my right shoulder playing up. Feel it on shoulder day obviously, and the first few sets of chest. Went in this morning for shoulder tri and couldn't do anything but light side laterals for the first 15-20 minutes. I usually start with military press, but struggled just with the bar so switched exercises.

Bloke at the pharmacy just said to push through until it came good, which I didn't expect to hear. I train with fairly good form, and I tend to use a HIT style where I'm pushing slowly, holding at the top, and then even slower on the negative.

Without seeing how you’re doing exercises it’s hard to tell what’s going on, but if it takes a while to warm up you might have to sacrifice weight on your compounds and do them last.
Eg your push day might be side raises, tricep pressdowns, front raises, military press then bench press

John Meadows has a good breakdown of how/why he chooses exercises and their order. Even though I’m mainly Powerlifting I still a lot of John’s ideas/concepts eg I’ll do some side raises, face pulls and push ups before benching
https://www.t-nation.com/training/monstrous-back-the-mountain-dog-way
https://www.t-nation.com/training/mountain-dog-arms
https://www.t-nation.com/training/shoulder-training-the-mountain-dog-way
https://www.t-nation.com/training/enormous-and-strong-legs-the-mountain-dog-way
https://www.t-nation.com/training/chest-obliteration-mountain-dog-style

Without seeing how you’re doing exercises it’s hard to tell what’s going on, but if it takes a while to warm up you might have to sacrifice weight on your compounds and do them last.
Eg your push day might be side raises, tricep pressdowns, front raises, military press then bench press
I will give that a try. Very good advice actually.

I do the opposite of that, which is charging out of the gate then tapering off at the end. At my age I would be better off working into the session a bit slower.

Appreciate the links Aeglos, just getting into them now. :thumbsu:

EDIT: Reckon it's seated dips giving me the grief. Do them on both chest and shoulder days and remember feeling and hearing a bit of cracking on a few occasions. No more dips for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Thinking of joining Fitness First platinum, will be training primarily out of Melbourne Central

Any thoughts positive or negative would be appreciated.
The common complaint about the franchises is customer service/difficulty cancelling direct debit memberships.

I checked a few out, and the facilities are usually good. If you've trained before you'll know the level of equipment and free weights you need. Sometimes your AnyTimeAnyPlace gyms are treadmill rich bench press poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of the more messed up things I’ve seen.
Apparently the gym has (rightly) terminated the offenders membership and they’re getting absolutely savaged on instagram and Facebook

Might give these guys a go instead, they're half the price

https://www.facebook.com/StandupFitness-Springvale-350219195437674/
How much did you end up paying?

I looked at about 6 gyms before I signed up, funnily enough, with the gym I trained at during my last health kick 12 years ago.

$400 a year for an updated and fair sized weight room, brand new dumb bells, and decent hammer strength type machines. 5 new gyms have been built in the area in the last decade, and he's had to lower prices to compete. I actually thought he meant $400 for 3 months.

The best gym I've ever seen is a thing called derrimut gym out in the sticks. Old mate trains there. 3 huge warehouse sized rooms, they even had an MMA/boxing room, and blokes were banging on truck tyres with a sledgehammer. All for $600 a year.

The over priced gyms were often the worst package. I found any place that wanted to charge me $50 for a membership card that opens doors at 3am wasn't worth joining.

This is one of the more messed up things I’ve seen.
Apparently the gym has (rightly) terminated the offenders membership and they’re getting absolutely savaged on instagram and Facebook

I assumed that was the owner before reading comments, but no, just a knob head gym member.

The guy wasn't even being thst loud.

It's hard to tell how loud it really was and it didn't look like he was making any effort to lower the bar more slowly but he was using mats and the reaction was ridiculously over the top

Thank you.

i see this all the time in 40/50 yo blokes. they may be able to lift some weight, but dynamic stability in the shoulder is weak, t-spine mobility is poor, and external or internal rotation doesn't exist either. it's compounded by folks doing more anterior upper body work than posterior. eventually they end up getting impingement. if you haven't been exercising for 6 years and then get straight back into heavy OH pressing, then I'd be careful.

it's worth doing some mobility work like floor scap slides, light cubans, and light weight cable rotations for 5 mins before every session. don't call it prehab, call them performance extras

i see this all the time in 40/50 yo blokes. they may be able to lift some weight, but dynamic stability in the shoulder is weak, t-spine mobility is poor, and external or internal rotation doesn't exist either. it's compounded by folks doing more anterior upper body work than posterior. eventually they end up getting impingement. if you haven't been exercising for 6 years and then get straight back into heavy OH pressing, then I'd be careful.

it's worth doing some mobility work like floor scap slides, light cubans, and light weight cable rotations for 5 mins before every session. don't call it prehab, call them performance extras
Thanks mate.

What I've decided to do is 2 weeks of my normal workout, but low weight in the 15-20 rep range, no drop sets no rest pause. If I have no more hassles, I will probably just stay in the 12-15 rep range but switch back to 1 workout per muscle group per week.

I also start the workout with those cable rotations now, and shoulder circles which every old fart remembers from their junior soccer days :D

Also stretching the area seems to have helped.

I will definitely try your suggestions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back