Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

A bold claim!

we are conceding a lot of goals per I50. For example we smashed Port in the contest and the I50s and nearly lost because they kicked 14 goals from only 47 I50s.

And for most of our year until Milera’s recent uplift, we got to watch Hartigan, Kelly and Brown handballing around in a circle meanwhile the opponent setup the press.

Our defence has not been good this year in any respect.

Might become good if the current group can stay healthy and play a full season together.
We also still struggle against good small forwards. Robbie Gray has kicked 10 goals and Wingard 6 goals in the 2 Showdowns this year.

He reminds me very much of Charlie Cameron last year, where the coaches had clearly told him to take players on with his speed, even if that meant he sometimes got caught HTB. Milera seems much more willing this year to run through players, rather than quickly hack a kick forward.
I think he's been given that licence and his become more confident in his strength and body. He's not intimidated physically anymore.

I think where Cameron was explosive going straight, Milera is more evasive. He has these deft body faints in close that makes players look silly. I don't think I've seen anyone do what he does in close in the congestion of the midfield actually.

We also still struggle against good small forwards. Robbie Gray has kicked 10 goals and Wingard 6 goals in the 2 Showdowns this year.
In fairness alot of teams struggle to contain Robbie.

Brown always struggles against players he can't dominate physically. He plays well on the quicker weaker (physically) forwards. He goes to water against small/medium strong forwards like Gray or resting midfielders.

Bernie Vince and, to a lesser extent, Atkins have that ability. The way they can just fake a step, or drop a shoulder to get a defender on the back foot and buy themselves more time.

Milera extra advantage is that he has that, plus pure speed, which is an awesome combo that makes him hard to tackle, especially now that he has more core strength to shrug off tackles as well.

The likes of Vince and Atkins might be able to do it against one player in open, but generally get caught once they try it on the second.

Milera seems to be able to do it in the congestion of the midfield against multiple players making them all look silly. Not saying he's never getting gonna get caught, but I love the mindset.

Pendles is more about elite decision making and timing whilst in congestion. He moves slowly but can sum up a situation perfectly and executes consistently making the right decision. He's more like a Zidane whereas Milera Is more Ronaldo.

Can someone with a bit of time and tech savvy put together a highlights package of Milera escaping pressure to the soundtrack of 'Shake Your Booty'?

That s**t'll go viral!

I think he's been given that licence and his become more confident in his strength and body. He's not intimidated physically anymore.

I think where Cameron was explosive going straight, Milera is more evasive. He has these deft body faints in close that makes players look silly. I don't think I've seen anyone do what he does in close in the congestion of the midfield actually.
He will be an absolute Jet next year i reckon.

For mine, when we look back and sift through the ashes of 2018, Milera will be the story.

He's made such significant strides and shown such talent, that he now projects as one of the very best of his cohort and capable of all kinds of honours/awards.

His vision, ball use and agility is stunning. Will end up being one of those players who ends up just playing wherever the hell he wants to, bobbing up in all 3 zones as required.

Will be a star of the game

I don’t want to keep comparing him to McLeod but I do see similarities.

That bump on Boak on the members side in the dying stages was just presence of mind personified. To actually take him out of the contest instead of tackling him, in that moment, required an innate football sense that you can’t teach.

I'm one of those that actually believe its about misfiled to forward transition rather than the forwards themselves.

We have a lot of midfielders who like to kick long to a contest at every opportunity. Perhaps that's what they are told to do? I'm not saying we need to kick short, but have the composure to sum up the situation and kick to advantage.
We need more class in that midfield.
The kicking efficiency stat has a lot to answer for. Players aren't stupid. They know a long kick to a pack ticks a box

For mine, when we look back and sift through the ashes of 2018, Milera will be the story.

He's made such significant strides and shown such talent, that he now projects as one of the very best of his cohort and capable of all kinds of honours/awards.

His vision, ball use and agility is stunning. Will end up being one of those players who ends up just playing wherever the hell he wants to, bobbing up in all 3 zones as required.

Will be a star of the game
Here's a challenge for you; Predict your top 5 best AFC players for 2019.

Note; its very hard to keep Milera out of it.

For me;

1) Laird
2) MCrouch
3) Gibbs
4) Milera
5) Doedee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane
Tex
Greenwood
Talia

We should be a good team. Fitness permitting...
Actually you're right, I was probably a bit harsh on Sloane, he would likely be in there injury permitting. The other 3 were in consideration, but I just think by this years trajectory we might be surprised how highly we rate guys like Milera and Doedee by the end of next year!

Last edited:
In fairness alot of teams struggle to contain Robbie.

Brown always struggles against players he can't dominate physically. He plays well on the quicker weaker (physically) forwards. He goes to water against small/medium strong forwards like Gray or resting midfielders.
Brown seems to struggle against players with good lateral movement.

Here's a challenge for you; Predict your top 5 best AFC players for 2019.

Note; its very hard to keep Milera out of it.

For me;

1) Laird
2) MCrouch
3) Gibbs
4) Milera
5) Doedee
For me (in any order) Matt, Sloane, Laird, Lynch, Smith (these 5 are clear AA level when at their best). Add in a fit Brad, Talia, Gibbs, Doedee, Jenkins.

Milera certainly could be there, but it is not like we are light on for talent.

That stat has the issue of making it look like players who always take the easy and safe option look a lot better than they really are.

Well you could break it down further to things like "long kicks to advantage" but the starting point would be disposals to advantage

For me (in any order) Matt, Sloane, Laird, Lynch, Smith (these 5 are clear AA level when at their best). Add in a fit Brad, Talia, Gibbs, Doedee, Jenkins.

Milera certainly could be there, but it is not like we are light on for talent.
That’s fair, I do think Milera eye catching style of play will supplant a lot of guys. But you’re right we won’t go into 2019 devoid of talent.

Put it this way, if Jnr makes it on that list then it’s safe to say we will see some pretty special things!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back