Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
A pure footballer and another draft steal for us .
Has that happy knack of reading the play and out positioning his opponents in a 1-1 and love his clever hand balling to players in a better position

Imagine he will become very good in stoppages for us in a few seasons

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Norwood Redlegs
Incredible this kid went in the 70s.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
He would have been a steal in the 30s-40s. How he made it to the 70s is insane. We have done well for a club without access to high level talent through the draft. We have picked up a quite few first round talents with picks in the mid 40s, 50s, 60s and now the 70s.

I reckon any of these guys would sit comfortably as a 1st round pick in any year -
Sicily - Pick 56 o_O
Morrison - Pick 74 o_O
Hardwick - Pick 44 o_O
Stratton - Pick 46 o_O
Poppy - Pick 66 o_O
Warpel - Pick 45 o_O

Then there are guys like Cousins, Miles, Brand, Swiss, Doc etc that are probably not 1st rounds talents but we still got a steal with them and they all help build a strong team. With our draft positioning we are never going to have a talent pool like GWS. We do have a team that we can build around though.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
How the fudge did Luke Breust not get a single vote in 2011 o_O You would think 30 goals and 14 Goal Assist and 3 tackles a game would get a mention.

Played a lot of games as a sub that year, so sometimes only 30-40 minutes of game time

He would have been a steal in the 30s-40s. How he made it to the 70s is insane. We have done well for a club without access to high level talent through the draft. We have picked up a quite few first round talents with picks in the mid 40s, 50s, 60s and now the 70s.

I reckon any of these guys would sit comfortably as a 1st round pick in any year -
Sicily - Pick 56 o_O
Morrison - Pick 74 o_O
Hardwick - Pick 44 o_O
Stratton - Pick 46 o_O
Poppy - Pick 66 o_O
Warpel - Pick 45 o_O

Then there are guys like Cousins, Miles, Brand, Swiss, Doc etc that are probably not 1st rounds talents but we still got a steal with them and they all help build a strong team. With our draft positioning we are never going to have a talent pool like GWS. We do have a team that we can build around though.

Stratton and Puopolo were mature age, so not a surprise they were taken later. Morrison was coming off an ACL in his draft year. Hardwick played juniors as an undersized full-forward - they generally don't go so well in AFL these days.

Sicily and Worpel maybe others can help me with.

Played a lot of games as a sub that year, so sometimes only 30-40 minutes of game time

Stratton and Puopolo were mature age, so not a surprise they were taken later. Morrison was coming off an ACL in his draft year. Hardwick played juniors as an undersized full-forward - they generally don't go so well in AFL these days.

I think Worpel maybe slid due to the knock on his disposal by foot. Many people mentioned it when drafted. Thankfully it was completely misguided.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Clubs thought Sicily might not be mentally strong enough for the demands of AFL, he played exactly the same in the under 18's as he does in the AFL, strong over head marking and laces out drop punts.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Thrilled after having such a strong pre-season and being acknowledged by the coaching staff for this and the shape he came back in at pre-season, that this has flowed through to improved form, selection and now a Rising Star.

Should encourage other young players on our list.

Clubs thought Sicily might not be mentally strong enough for the demands of AFL, he played exactly the same in the under 18's as he does in the AFL, strong over head marking and laces out drop punts.
But then he’d have tantrums and get emotional. Scouts knew he had talent, but were a little perplexed with just how to read his outward emotions on field, and if he would cut it.

But then he’d have tantrums and get emotional. Scouts knew he had talent, but were a little perplexed with just how to read his outward emotions on field, and if he would cut it.

Another reason why Clarko is such a bloody asset. His teaching background comes into its own in scenarios like this.

MrFujiMoto

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Norwood Redlegs

I am glad we see things with more foresight than the competitors. I know with Sicily, Burton, Worpel, Morrison and Hardwick Wright & Co were very surprised they were still available at the pick that we got them so we rated them higher than where we took them.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Another reason why Clarko is such a bloody asset. His teaching background comes into its own in scenarios like this.

Completely agree.

Would love Harry to work this coming off-season on adding a tiny bit more weight and more explosive power.

Has a very bright future.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
I am glad we see things with more foresight than the competitors. I know with Sicily, Burton, Worpel, Morrison and Hardwick Wright & Co were very surprised they were still available at the pick that we got them so we rated them higher than where we took them.

Have it in on very good authority that the hawks were planning to take Dylan Moore with our first pick but where shocked that Worpel was still available. When they took Worpel they didn’t think that Moore would still be available at our next pick which he was.

We know about Worpel but Moore is being groomed as an outside midfielder a la Hartung. Is extremely highly rated but will take a bit of time, future looks very promising indeed.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Have it in on very good authority that the hawks were planning to take Dylan Moore with our first pick but where shocked that Worpel was still available. When they took Worpel they didn’t think that Moore would still be available at our next pick which he was.

We know about Worpel but Moore is being groomed as an outside midfielder a la Hartung. Is extremely highly rated but will take a bit of time, future looks very promising indeed.

General consensus on the D+T board was that the Hawks did very well with the picks we had.

Back